• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposed Tennessee bill would make it a crime to practice Sharia law.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    Evidence given by the people of the religion is really the only evidence that anyone can offer you. Any evidence put forth by Christians is likely to be biased towards Christianity. Any evidence put forward by Muslims will be biased towards Islam. And also, any atheist who puts forward contrary evidence will have his/her own motive. To my knowledge, there has never been an unbiased analysis of any religion, only the philosphical implications of its existence.

Did I say that you were Christian? No. I'm asking you why is it you focus your hatred on Sharia law (disregarding the thread topic of course) when it's clear that other religions also practice the same thing. Why not make a generalised statement? Why are you hating on one particular religion.
    Here is the thing though, Christians have calmed down and most don't marry under 18. The Christians are the one who make sure you DON'T marry under 18. When Muslims stop being crazy over here and in my homeland I'll stop hating them.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Here is the thing though, Christians have calmed down and most don't marry under 18. The Christians are the one who make sure you DON'T marry under 18. When Muslims stop being crazy over here and in my homeland I'll stop hating them.
    By state law, need I remind you. There are other places in the world, Islamic countries even, where marrying below eighteen is a criminal offence.

Furthermore, you tell me which is better. Teenagers who get pregnant at, say, sixteen and are abandoned by their boyfriends, or those teenagers who get married and get pregnant at sixteen but still have a husband. This is similar to the polygamist v. mistress argument. Both are just as bad, I know, but which one is better?

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    By state law, need I remind you. There are other places in the world, Islamic countries even, where marrying below eighteen is a criminal offence.

Furthermore, you tell me which is better. Teenagers who get pregnant at, say, sixteen and are abandoned by their boyfriends, or those teenagers who get married and get pregnant at sixteen but still have a husband. This is similar to the polygamist v. mistress argument. Both are just as bad, I know, but which one is better?
    Marrying at 16 is very bad in the first place, it isn't out of love most of the time. I also believe the kid leaving you is bad, but back in Poland, least in Krakow, We will beat some guy that does stuff like that in. But we have Morals and are raised with them.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Marrying at 16 is very bad in the first place, it isn't out of love most of the time. I also believe the kid leaving you is bad, but back in Poland, least in Krakow, We will beat some guy that does stuff like that in. But we have Morals and are raised with them.
    Disregard the inherent evils within marriage at sixteen(we've established that its not a favourable option) and instead tell me why you think it's bad to get married at sixteen. I don't want to hear that something is bad because it's bad. I want to hear why it's bad for logical reasons. Besides that, I'm sure you know the rest of the world isn't Poland, nor even Krakow, the same way that the WHOLE MUSLIM WORLD isn't made up of the Middle East, nor the radicalists who take the teachings of Islam out of context, so don't base your argument about the kind of vigilante justice you may carry out where you're from because the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

I once knew a girl who was in labour for eight hours and she was only fourteen or so at the time. She does not have a husband. I'm happy to say that she's living peacefully with her parents and child, but what about the rest of the world?

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    Disregard the inherent evils within marriage at sixteen(we've established that its not a favourable option) and instead tell me why you think it's bad to get married at sixteen. I don't want to hear that something is bad because it's bad. I want to hear why it's bad for logical reasons. Besides that, I'm sure you know the rest of the world isn't Poland, nor even Krakow, the same way that the WHOLE MUSLIM WORLD isn't made up of the Middle East, nor the radicalists who take the teachings of Islam out of context, so don't base your argument about the kind of vigilante justice you may carry out where you're from because the rest of the world doesn't work that way.

I once knew a girl who was in labour for eight hours and she was only fourteen or so at the time. She does not have a husband. I'm happy to say that she's living peacefully with her parents and child, but what about the rest of the world?
    It robs an immature person to make rational discussions that they won't regret later on in life. It is morally wrong in America, and Western Society, which is what this is about(it being banned in the Western Society of Tennessee). I know a couple girls like that, whom I was not friends with, but I still beat the dudes up. But it is also the female's fault for having pre-marital sex, without knowing if it was love or lust. I've had pre-marital sex, but I love this girl and she is the only one I've been with, and it's the same for her. I believe at max a person should only sleep with 5 people in their life times(and that's at max). I also know Poland isn't the center of the world, specially as a brand new immigrant to the US. Also, before you say I would blame a rape victim, no I wouldn't, I hate paedophilia and rape more than anything and when I get more money(I just work with PJ now) I will give large amounts into a foundation to fight both of them.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    It robs an immature person to make rational discussions that they won't regret later on in life.
    I'm sure you mean rational decisions, not discussions. Also, I don't really see how being married robs anyone of their free will. Divorce, although something abhorred in both Islam and Christianity, is still a viable option. Contrary to popular belief, Muslim woman do have the right to divorce (called Khula) their husbands. Of course, you don't need divorce if the marriage is a happy one, so that nullifies your point really. Where's the regret if the marriage is a happy one?

It is morally wrong in America, and Western Society, which is what this is about(it being banned in the Western Society of Tennessee).
    No, this thread is about Shariah law being banned in Tennessee. The law in the US has always been secular, so Shariah law has no bearing on their/your judicial system except for when the laws do not contradict.

I know a couple girls like that, whom I was not friends with, but I still beat the dudes up.
    I frankly don't care if you beat them up or not. I'm more worried about the rest of the world, as I've said. What your practices in Poland were, are not necessarily applicable to the rest of the world.

But it is also the female's fault for having pre-marital sex, without knowing if it was love or lust.
    Yes, exactly. The fault of the INDIVIDUAL and not the fault of the religion. In the case of underage marriage(or arranged marriages) in the Middle-East, it's the fault of the culture and not the fault of the religion.

I've had pre-marital sex, but I love this girl and she is the only one I've been with, and it's the same for her. I believe at max a person should only sleep with 5 people in their life times(and that's at max).
    This is a different topic entirely, but what if those people whom you 'sleep with' get pregnant? Are you going to take responsibility? And no, don't get me started on using contraception. If contraception is such a godsend, why do we still have women whose boyfriends have left after learning on the pregnancy?

Also, before you say I would blame a rape victim, no I wouldn't, I hate paedophilia and rape more than anything and when I get more money(I just work with PJ now) I will give large amounts into a foundation to fight both of them.
    Err... yeah, I never said that. I don't push beliefs on other people in an argument, rather, I question their stance. It's nice and all that you're working towards charity, but it's really irrelevant. If you want to make it relevant, let me tell you that Shariah law makes it mandatory to donate a set percentile of your earnings to charity (zakat/zakah). You don't need to donate anything if you're part of the impoverished.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I'm sure you mean rational decisions, not discussions. Also, I don't really see how being married robs anyone of their free will. Divorce, although something abhorred in both Islam and Christianity, is still a viable option. Contrary to popular belief, Muslim woman do have the right to divorce (called Khula) their husbands. Of course, you don't need divorce if the marriage is a happy one, so that nullifies your point really. Where's the regret if the marriage is a happy one?
    Yes, I did make a mistake, but the girls marry so young they don't know other people, and can truly not know if it is real love in most situations.

No, this thread is about Shariah law being banned in Tennessee. The law in the US has always been secular, so Shariah law has no bearing on their/your judicial system except for when the laws do not contradict.
    Tennessee is western.

I frankly don't care if you beat them up or not. I'm more worried about the rest of the world, as I've said. What your practices in Poland were, are not necessarily applicable to the rest of the world.
    I know it happens here in Colorado too.

Yes, exactly. The fault of the INDIVIDUAL and not the fault of the religion. In the case of underage marriage(or arranged marriages) in the Middle-East, it's the fault of the culture and not the fault of the religion.
    The Religion supports the Culture though, so it is still fault of the religion.

This is a different topic entirely, but what if those people whom you 'sleep with' get pregnant? Are you going to take responsibility? And no, don't get me started on using contraception. If contraception is such a godsend, why do we still have women whose boyfriends have left after learning on the pregnancy?
    Yes, if my Girlfriend gets pregnant I will raise the child, even if our relationship doesn't work out. My child, my responsibility.

Err... yeah, I never said that. I don't push beliefs on other people in an argument, rather, I question their stance. It's nice and all that you're working towards charity, but it's really irrelevant. If you want to make it relevant, let me tell you that Shariah law makes it mandatory to donate a set percentile of your earnings to charity (zakat/zakah). You don't need to donate anything if you're part of the impoverished.
    Donating to Muslim charities is different than donating to a cause you feel very passionate about, that isn't based on religion or something you practice.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Yes, I did make a mistake, but the girls marry so young they don't know other people, and can truly not know if it is real love in most situations.
    This is the same as adultery. I don't wish to go into a philosophical argument, but you're basing your argument on this point about the girl not knowing what love truly is. You're neglecting the side of the argument in which the couple is a happy one. You can love even if you're not happy, and you can be happy without knowing love. The first part is true especially where you see a married man taking care of his wife who has a disease which causes unhappiness (eg. Schizophrenia), or a married woman sticking to her alcoholic, abusive husband out of love.

Tennessee is western.
    Your point being? It's still part of the USA.

I know it happens here in Colorado too.
    *Facepalm* Okay, you're missing the point here. I can point out loads of other places where you don't have this kind of thing. In fact, I think I will if you insist on telling me where this kind of practice is carried out: Japan, China, the UK, New York, Sweden, etc... I admit that this kind of vigilante justice is carried out in certain places, but it's not a viable option to avoid this kind of thing from happening in the first place.

The Religion supports the Culture though, so it is still fault of the religion.
    Excuse me? Do you even know what you're talking about anymore? You can't claim that religion supports culture. They're both separate things. In fact, those cultural practices you see that are so wrong arise from the careless misinterpretation of religious texts from a culture that has always been, before Islam, mysogynistic to an extent. Again, the fault of the individual who misread the thing in the first place.

Yes, if my Girlfriend gets pregnant I will raise the child, even if our relationship doesn't work out. My child, my responsibility.
    Hypothetical scenario: Five women (Your maximum amount). Say all of them get pregnant. Are you willing to take care of five different children? Highly unlikely, but the possibility is there. Also, what about everyone else in the world. Not everyone is a 'saint' like you. Some, if not all, boyfriends leave their girlfriends entirely after discovering about the pregnancy. At least under a marriage, both parents are under a legal obligation to care for the welfare of the child.

Donating to Muslim charities is different than donating to a cause you feel very passionate about, that isn't based on religion or something you practice.
    How is it different and how is the latter a better thing? Zakat is distributed fairly among the poor (muslims) and seven other different types of people. Donating to a cause you feel strongly about means that you're singling out a fraction of the population whom you really want to help without regard, or benefit, to the other impoverished elsewhere. This kind of voluntary donation is called sadaqah in Islam fyi. Voluntary charity aside, modern secular law has nothing to say on collecting charity for the needy --in most places anyway.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    This is the same as adultery. I don't wish to go into a philosophical argument, but you're basing your argument on this point about the girl not knowing what love truly is. You're neglecting the side of the argument in which the couple is a happy one. You can love even if you're not happy, and you can be happy without knowing love. The first part is true especially where you see a married man taking care of his wife who has a disease which causes unhappiness (eg. Schizophrenia), or a married woman sticking to her alcoholic, abusive husband out of love.

Your point being? It's still part of the USA.

*Facepalm* Okay, you're missing the point here. I can point out loads of other places where you don't have this kind of thing. In fact, I think I will if you insist on telling me where this kind of practice is carried out: Japan, China, the UK, New York, Sweden, etc... I admit that this kind of vigilante justice is carried out in certain places, but it's not a viable option to avoid this kind of thing from happening in the first place.

Excuse me? Do you even know what you're talking about anymore? You can't claim that religion supports culture. They're both separate things. In fact, those cultural practices you see that are so wrong arise from the careless misinterpretation of religious texts from a culture that has always been, before Islam, mysogynistic to an extent. Again, the fault of the individual who misread the thing in the first place.

Hypothetical scenario: Five women (Your maximum amount). Say all of them get pregnant. Are you willing to take care of five different children? Highly unlikely, but the possibility is there. Also, what about everyone else in the world. Not everyone is a 'saint' like you. Some, if not all, boyfriends leave their girlfriends entirely after discovering about the pregnancy. At least under a marriage, both parents are under a legal obligation to care for the welfare of the child.

How is it different and how is the latter a better thing? Zakat is distributed fairly among the poor (muslims) and seven other different types of people. Donating to a cause you feel strongly about means that you're singling out a fraction of the population whom you really want to help without regard, or benefit, to the other impoverished elsewhere. This kind of voluntary donation is called sadaqah in Islam fyi. Voluntary charity aside, modern secular law has nothing to say on collecting charity for the needy --in most places anyway.
    I have to go somewhere, so I am only going to say one thing. If all 5 women were to be pregnant I would take care of them. My grandpa was a child of 12. I will take care of each and everyone cause they are my kin. This is very unlikely though, as I don't jump in the sack quick and I take times between my relationship.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I have to go somewhere, so I am only going to say one thing. If all 5 women were to be pregnant I would take care of them. My grandpa was a child of 12. I will take care of each and everyone cause they are my kin. This is very unlikely though, as I don't jump in the sack quick and I take times between my relationship.
    Then post later, or better yet, VM me if you fear the thread might be locked. I personally think you're missing the point. It's not what you might do; it's what others do every day. I think you should reread my response to that point since you're obviously in a hurry.

In all seriousness though, this isn't directly related to the thread anymore, so you're best of continuing this conversation via VM.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Once again, you pointing to "evidence" given by the people of the religion. Give me unbiased proof.
    Nobody can prove history, don't be silly. Even the most seemingly concrete evidence can be disputed.

You're generalizing. Extremism exists independently of religion, as has been said multiple times. There are just as many Christian extremists as there are Muslim extremists. The KKK, the WBC, and, in my opinion, everyone in the "Tea Party" are all Christian extremists. The German Nazis were also Christians.

Why don't you just judge people as individuals instead of grouping everyone together and perpetuating all sorts of negative stereotypes? There are good and bad people of every color and creed; you're not even giving people a chance to show their nature.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    Nobody can prove history, don't be silly. Even the most seemingly concrete evidence can be disputed.

You're generalizing. Extremism exists independently of religion, as has been said multiple times. There are just as many Christian extremists as there are Muslim extremists. The KKK, the WBC, and, in my opinion, everyone in the "Tea Party" are all Christian extremists. The German Nazis were also Christians.

Why don't you just judge people as individuals instead of grouping everyone together and perpetuating all sorts of negative stereotypes? There are good and bad people of every color and creed; you're not even giving people a chance to show their nature.
    I know these groups exist, I am a so called "nazi", a proud National Socialist, as it was how my grandpa severed. There are many bad Muslims in Europe though.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I know these groups exist, I am a so called "nazi", a proud National Socialist, as it was how my grandpa severed. There are many bad Muslims in Europe though.
    You know that not many people like Nazis, and yet you're probably thinking that the political theory is just misunderstood. Why do you have to be so bigoted when you yourself face persecution? Yes there are bad muslims, but Islam, the religion, is not a one-way ticket to hell. As twocows have said, and as what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. It's not the religion; it's the people. Stop generalizing. It's like you're hating Islam for the sake of hating Islam, which is really offensive, considering you're making your views public. When you make your views public, you're opening yourself up to scrutiny. Hatred is the only thing you cannot have without justification because it's bound to offend certain people. If you want to hate someone, fine, keep it to yourself. You don't have to make other people hate them too. Really, all you're doing is spreading strife if you are hating on Islam for the sake of it.

For example, I get that you're upset over the terorrist attack which claimed the lives of members of your family, but just get it through your skull that those people were misguided extremists. They don't represent Islam. How would you feel if we automatically labelled you as an evil Nazi without first trying understand the socio-political implications of the theory and then skipping straight to thinking that you're a defacto anti-semite.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    You know that not many people like Nazis, and yet you're probably thinking that the political theory is just misunderstood. Why do you have to be so bigoted when you yourself face persecution? Yes there are bad muslims, but Islam, the religion, is not a one-way ticket to hell. As twocows have said, and as what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. It's not the religion; it's the people. Stop generalizing. It's like you're hating Islam for the sake of hating Islam, which is really offensive, considering you're making your views public. When you make your views public, you're opening yourself up to scrutiny. Hatred is the only thing you cannot have without justification because it's bound to offend certain people. If you want to hate someone, fine, keep it to yourself. You don't have to make other people hate them too. Really, all you're doing is spreading strife if you are hating on Islam for the sake of it.

For example, I get that you're upset over the terorrist attack which claimed the lives of members of your family, but just get it through your skull that those people were misguided extremists. They don't represent Islam. How would you feel if we automatically labelled you as an evil Nazi without first trying understand the socio-political implications of the theory and then skipping straight to thinking that you're a defacto anti-semite.
    How would I face persecution? My Grandfather was a Polish Highlander like myself and in the SS. He shook hands with Adolf Hitler. NS is a thing many people barely know about, I hate muslims over here because it's my land, and I want everyone to have their own state.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
    Once again, you pointing to "evidence" given by the people of the religion. Give me unbiased proof.
    I'm for the most part not interested in participating in this thread much any more, but the above is extremely amusing to me.

So, Anthraxinsoup, I suppose that by your logic anything you say is irrelevant because it is biased towards your own position?

Also, I'd just like to point out that nationalism was basically the religious extremism of the twentieth century. Lots of death and conquering other lands and that jazz. So before you criticize the Abrahamic religions for having a history of violence, examine your own ideology first.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I'm for the most part not interested in participating in this thread much any more, but the above is extremely amusing to me.

So, Anthraxinsoup, I suppose that by your logic anything you say is irrelevant because it is biased towards your own position?

Also, I'd just like to point out that nationalism was basically the religious extremism of the twentieth century. Lots of death and conquering other lands and that jazz. So before you criticize the Abrahamic religions for having a history of violence, examine your own ideology first.
    Abrahamic religions raped my land first. I just say, before I make an opinion, I want unbiased proof.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
    Abrahamic religions raped my land first. I just say, before I make an opinion, I want unbiased proof.

You've piqued my interest. xD Maybe I will participate.

For one, a religion can't rape a land. Certain constituents of a branch of a religion can do damage to the people of a land, but saying that a religion raped a land is a horrible generalization that holds no real merit.

Also, out of curiosity, where exactly is "your land"?

Back