• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I personally hate the C-Gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great tool for someone that lives near other people that play Pokemon, but I personally have issues with games that don't fully utilize the touchscreen on the DS. Because I want to extend my battery life and don't see a use for it, I always turn off my C-Gear, which leaves me with a black screen that I can't do anything with for most of the game. The big draw for the DS was the fact that the touchscreen changed gaming, but then game developers only add touchscreen functionality as an afterthought to games.

There are a few other touchscreen-related things that annoy me, like using TMs and HMs. They have part of the text for using a TM/HM usable with the touchscreen, and some of it not. If they had picked one or the other I wouldn't be so frustrated with it.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I personally hate the C-Gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great tool for someone that lives near other people that play Pokemon, but I personally have issues with games that don't fully utilize the touchscreen on the DS. Because I want to extend my battery life and don't see a use for it, I always turn off my C-Gear, which leaves me with a black screen that I can't do anything with for most of the game. The big draw for the DS was the fact that the touchscreen changed gaming, but then game developers only add touchscreen functionality as an afterthought to games.

This. i usually have the Itemradar on all the time so I don't have to see the black screen.

I do love the new quick-access menu, I use it a lot more than the actual menu.

Hibaru

Advanced Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    For the first time I have many disappointments in Pokemon is that the 5th gen has so many weird looking Pokemon. I don't like some of it. Also with the region name. I was expecting to keep the name as Isshu. But what!? Unova!!? Weird name...

Especially that Gear thingy. Such a FREAK. It wouldn't worth on my team either. It much worth to defeat it.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
    I dislike lots of the Pokemon. *Cough* Throh & Sawk *Cough*
    Also, I find there isn't much more to do after completing the main story. I guess that's because I'm so used to the two regions in HG/SS.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I really dislike Cheren, he just annoy's me, popping up out of no where, and just bleh -_-

You could say, he grinds my Klinklang. ;D

Oh and the fact that the encounter rate for every place where wild Pokemon are able to be caught has gone up, on the way to Celestial tower I couldn't take a step without being attacked.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

Oh and the fact that the encounter rate for every place where wild Pokemon are able to be caught has gone up, on the way to Celestial tower I couldn't take a step without being attacked.

Oh jeez, I completely agree with this. It seemed the worst in caves. I couldn't take two steps without something popping up at me. So frustrating, I ended up buying a crap load of Max Repels.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    Well, one thing that disturbs me is the names on certain pokemons.
    Like Klink. He evolves into Klang, which evolves into Klinklang. I just feel that's a little... it grinds my Klinklang, in lack of better words.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well, one thing that disturbs me is the names on certain pokemons.
    Like Klink. He evolves into Klang, which evolves into Klinklang. I just feel that's a little... it grinds my Klinklang, in lack of better words.

Really? That's one of the few names I actually really like.

At least over the Gear/Gigear/Gigigear Japanese alternative.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Victory Road was too easy this time around.

I spent hours preparing and grinding for a tough trip but I ended up getting through the "maze" easily.

The C-gear pretty much stinks and the delayed evolutions on several pokemon is ridiculous. Klinklang at lvl 49? He's not a dragon type...

I mean, I belive even garchomp is already fully-evolved by 48.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
    I personally hate Throh; it looks stupid. Meditite is way more creative than that.

And oh yes, the high encounter rates. I didn't even move and I encounter another wild Pokemon. >__> I JUST FKIN TURNED.

Last edited:

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    Well first off, Cheren and Bianca annoy me. Can't go anywhere without at least one of them popping up, always wanting to battle you. Not letting you have a chance to heal your pokemon or just take a breather. I swear, it's like everywhere I turn around someone wants to battle. Sure it's needed because holy crap, everyone is like a thousand levels above you, but I want to do more than just battle every waking moment.

And I agree with the high encounter rates. Sure it's nice when I am trying to catch pokemon and grind for some levels, but this is the first time I've had to spam repels almost every route and in every cave just to not lose my sanity.

Another thing is gym leader involvment in the story. I mean, it's nice and all, but it can get really annoying having to listen to their life story and bla bla, wow, you're a model and a gym leader and apparently can make a father change his opinion on letting his own daughter travel across the land to be a pokemon master, you're so cool.

Which brings me to my other pet peeve. Excessive talking. Everyone, everywhere has to talk a novel. I don't even pay attention anymore to what anyone says. Not to mention they don't transition their sentences well, they need to hire better writers, or maybe an english teacher!

And the late evolutions make me sad too. I liked having my final evolution before I reached the E4, not during the after game! The only reason I even stuck around was to evolve like one or two pokemon on my team.

But other than that everything else is cool.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    Victory Road was too easy this time around.
    Yeah, I miss the good ol' pushing stones-puzzle from 1st gen Victory Road... That was some real awesomeness.
    In overall, too few and too easy puzzles! The Cold storage was way too small and straight forward.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The only thing that really bothers me is the high encounter rate. It's especially noticeable in Chargestone cave and the shallow waters near Icirrus Town. Particularly annoying about Chargestone is that I was trying to find a Joltik for my team (according to Bulbapedia, it's supposed to be the most common wild pokemon encounter), and I still had to fight through thirty ferroseeds and klinks before I saw one. D:

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2011
    The only thing that really bothers me is the high encounter rate.
    Well, yeah. But it was still quite good training, and there were quite enough repels to be found for those omg-cba-more-of-this-moments that occur sometimes.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Besides just a few things that were already stated, I think there's only one thing that grinds my Klinklang:

Pokemon Freaking MUSICALS.

I didn't even enter one musical, or really go into the building, in my first playthrough. Need I say more?

~Music lover/Pokemon Musical Hater

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Besides just a few things that were already stated, I think there's only one thing that grinds my Klinklang:

Pokemon Freaking MUSICALS.

I didn't even enter one musical, or really go into the building, in my first playthrough. Need I say more?

~Music lover/Pokemon Musical Hater

I dont understand the Pokemon Musical myself, but to max out your trainer card, you are going to have to do them

But what grinds my Klinklang is the fact that no trainer in Unova has a Vullaby/evolution if you have Pokemon White and a Rufflett/Braviary if you have Pokemon Black

:t354:TG

BlueHighwind

EEEEEEVEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2012
    Joltik?Rare? I spent 10 freaking HOURS looking for a Ferroseed. And guess what? This is basically how my encounters went.

Joltik
    Joltik
    Joltik
    Joltik
    Joltik
    Klink
    Joltik
    The list goes on.....

High random encounter rates=</3
    Also Post-Game has insanely leveled Pokemon.I mean, really. I beat the Pokemon league with level 55 Pokemon, and what happens in Post-Game?

LEVEL 60-FLIPPING-5. Need I say more?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    There are some absolutely atrocious Pokemon designs. Luckily most are offset by the gems of designs found in this generation.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Just a spin, to the left.

Pretty much there are those things within the games that we all like and love, such as the Pokemon animations, or Clay the gym leader, and there are those things we don't really like, such as Ghetsis' personality, Lenora's Watchog and Skyla. This is a simple question for the latter. :)

What don't you like in Pokemon Black/White (What grinds your Klinklang?)

Audino, for obvious reasons Probably the first thing I notice when I play this game that I don't like, is the fact that the game starts off like something, which is fresh, and new but then later on appears to be some sort of just a repeat of something else, like it just starts to get the old feel of Pokemon. I sometimes feel like I'm repeating myself lots. For me, this usually kick in around the time I get to Driftveil City or something. Another thing I don't like, is the fact that some Pokemon take forever to evolve. I mean, you want to train a Braviary, so most chances are that it won't evolve until you're well into the final Battle with Ghetsis. Want a Hydreigon? Gonna have to wait for level 64 for that. One more thing, is that Tepig evolution line. Why does it have to be another fire/fighting type Pokemon? Granted it's more like Hariyama, which is cool, but still. </3

Just note: This thread is more for personal dislikes. Please leave anything along the lines of general dislikes to their appropriate threads.

We've discussed it and these two threads really seem to clash - due to dislikes being the same as cons pretty much, depending on the way it's worded (and even mentioned in the first post).

Back