• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
    I am trading my game in tomorrow. I beat Black, I see little reason to keep it.

There just isn't much to do anymore. The encounter rates are messy, they don't give you any fishing rod until after the "elite" 4, the HMs aren't nessecary for anything, and every route has basically the same pokemon, which is just poor design. Oh, and add in the fact that I caught Reshiram with a Poke'ball, non-critical at that, so the catch rates are out of wack.

I mean, quite honestly it took me 3-5 hours to beat the game. I caught pokemon along the way, raised them and everything, and in the end, I am disappointed for having played this game.

Oh, and then the feature I was most excited for gets delayed for several months because of the earthquake that hit Japan. Tell me, why is it that the earthquake in Japan delayed the launch of the State-side servers? It makes no sense, but after so long, I should have figured that. I mean, I have played since the originals back in 1997 or so, and yet I feel that they should have stopped at Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Those were the best 3, and everything since has disappointed me, except the remakes of the originals.

flamegod7

retsaM nomékoP
    Years
    I would have to say I dislike a few animations of classic moves such as Earthquake or Horn Drill as I expected them to look more dramatic.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I am trading my game in tomorrow. I beat Black, I see little reason to keep it.

There just isn't much to do anymore. The encounter rates are messy, they don't give you any fishing rod until after the "elite" 4, the HMs aren't nessecary for anything, and every route has basically the same pokemon, which is just poor design. Oh, and add in the fact that I caught Reshiram with a Poke'ball, non-critical at that, so the catch rates are out of wack.

I mean, quite honestly it took me 3-5 hours to beat the game. I caught pokemon along the way, raised them and everything, and in the end, I am disappointed for having played this game.

Oh, and then the feature I was most excited for gets delayed for several months because of the earthquake that hit Japan. Tell me, why is it that the earthquake in Japan delayed the launch of the State-side servers? It makes no sense, but after so long, I should have figured that. I mean, I have played since the originals back in 1997 or so, and yet I feel that they should have stopped at Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Those were the best 3, and everything since has disappointed me, except the remakes of the originals.

:( For one, the catch rate of the legendary is crazy mainly because of the fact that you need to catch one to continue in the story. And what? There are over 100 different Pokemon found throughout the routes - and the route amount is low itself, so I don't understand why you have issues with that.

There must be some positives though, like the graphics and the music? And even the story? And you're not even trying the different seasons? You can't experience everything in the games within 5 hours. There's... just not enough time to fully enjoy it. There's also a loooot to do post-game. So you're not even going to try the sages? Catch Kyurem? etc. There's seriously a lot to do, and judging from 5 hours play...yeah.

Oh well, just a little disappointed you're giving up on the games so soon, but there's little that can be done.

Also, the lag in certain places is really beginning to become annoying for me. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    Black and White's pros and cons...

There were some flaws like that there wasn't Dark-type Gym... :(
    Mostly the game was beatifully executed, like the animated clips.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The graphics of Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City were done incredibly, especially with their camera angles as you travel through them.

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Con:

trading in the Union Room seems flawed. which sucks.
    I tend to have to walk in, walk out, try agin to be able to connect.
    Sometimes get kicked off server (maybe).
    And that Error code. Zelda much, Game Freak?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2012
    I loved this game! I do think there are some cons to it though.

Pros:
    • A lot to do!
    • Towns and landscapes are amazing
    • An increase in amount of trainers
    • New awesome moves
    • N is not you stereotypical take over the world villain
    • HMs dont require GYM victories, thank god! why do i have to beat a normal type gym in order to have the ability to swim across water? (Hoenn)
    • Re-useable TMs
    • Lucky Egg, made training my pokemon so much easier
    • Day care early in the game
    • Slight difference in elite four (non spoiler)
    • All the after game exploration

Cons:
    • Most of the Pokemon designs are terrible, I had to decide my team before playing it rather then making it as i was playing
    • Pixalated Pokemon during battles, why wouldnt u design them zoomed in rather then before the camera zooms into the battle
    • Some gyms were terribly easy, the third, sixth and seventh were all finished in 3 moves
    • Personal: All my choices for my team were not available early on, my second pokemon was blitzle and i didnt get my third, sandile, until route 4
    • TOO MUCH AUDINO! my god it gets to the point were every ground shaking spot is 80% Audino and 5% for emolga, etc, I HAVE ALREADY CAUGHT THIS THING!
    • Rivals are too weak, again...
    • Evil Organisation....again.... and too weak

Thats just what i can think off the top of my head atm.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Con: Apparently, the bag has thrown Poke Balls into the Items pocket. I know it's minor, but I just preferred having the Poke Balls in their own pocket... :\ If BW had a Poke Balls pocket, then I would prefer that its system of Bag organization be the standard for future Pokemon games, though implementing the interface that HGSS introduced as well.

Last edited:

beanzy100000

Collector
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2011
    how oshawott has 2 legs and 2 arms then suddenly in it's third evolution it's arms turn into legs!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Cons:
    *The huge level jump in the post-game
    *The new exp system makes it hard to level grind so I'm my usual 5 levels higher than gym leaders
    *Gym leaders haven't figured out they can use more than three Pokemon
    *No Vs Seeker or gym leader rematches
    *I hate the new bag system where newly collected items go at the top of the bag's list
    *Some trainer designs are awful.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If you're an EV trainer like me, then the lack of places to EV train in Special Attack in the beginning of Black is very disappointing (you do battle the occasional Petilil), and you won't get to the most reliable source of Special Attack EVs (Celestial Tower) until mid-game.

AusDon

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    I don't like the American designed pokemon, like Vanillite and Golett/Golurk.

I mean, Golett/Golurk has square eyes... what.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
    I thought these games were a great step up from the fourth generation. I see far too many people complaining here about weak gym leaders and whatnot, since that kind of thing depends on your playing style (no, i don't mean battle style). Also, I think i'm the only one who enjoyed the level jump post-game. It feels good when you have to strategize against something 20 levels higher.

Pros:
    -Music was much better than DPPt
    -Everything felt new for the most part. Refreshing like the 2nd-3rd gen jump
    -Improved graphics and faster trades/item usage/battles
    -Attention to small details (eyes closing when asleep)
    -Gym leaders being more than just people who stand in one place waiting to be beaten
    -Great storyline, unless you absolutely cannot in use "Pokemon" and "deep" in the same sentence
    -Improved rivals (Barry was sort of annoying, and do I seriously have to explain what was wrong with the gen 3 "rivals"?)

Cons:
    -Ugly pokemon. Trubbish family and Vanillite family among the worst.
    -No berries!?
    -No rematches other than Nimbasa stadiums
    -Blown up back sprites
    -Too few triple/rotation battles in-game
    -Team plasma grunt battles...
    -Somewhat short (no, I didn't rush through the game in like 10 hours)
    -The C-gear didn't do much. At all.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I thought these games were a great step up from the fourth generation. I see far too many people complaining here about weak gym leaders and whatnot, since that kind of thing depends on your playing style (no, i don't mean battle style). Also, I think i'm the only one who enjoyed the level jump post-game. It feels good when you have to strategize against something 20 levels higher.

Pros:
    -Music was much better than DPPt
    -Everything felt new for the most part. Refreshing like the 2nd-3rd gen jump
    -Improved graphics and faster trades/item usage/battles
    -Attention to small details (eyes closing when asleep) - <3 Thank you :3
    -Gym leaders being more than just people who stand in one place waiting to be beaten
    -Great storyline, unless you absolutely cannot in use "Pokemon" and "deep" in the same sentence
    -Improved rivals (Barry was sort of annoying, and do I seriously have to explain what was wrong with the gen 3 "rivals"?)

Cons:
    -Ugly pokemon. Trubbish family and Vanillite family among the worst.
    ^Pro: Pokemon were absolutely amazing, for the most part.
    -No berries!? - Eh, wasn't much of a problem. Don't use berries anyway.
    -No rematches other than Nimbasa stadiums - Not true. There are maaaaaaaany rematches. For example: You can fight Cheren every day post-game.
    -Blown up back sprites
    -Too few triple/rotation battles in-game
    -Team plasma grunt battles... - Hey, we have to deal with them whether we like it or not. No rest for the wicked ;P
    -Somewhat short (no, I didn't rush through the game in like 10 hours) - Slightly, but really only compared to HGSS.
    -The C-gear didn't do much. At all. - Well, not much for the storyline, but it does do quite a bit ;P

I agree with most of that, among other things I don't feel like adding ;P
    I put little comments of my own in bold.
    These games are an enormous step up from all past pokemon games, in my opinion ;P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    One pro is that Pokemon Musicals are amazing. One con of it is that it's annoying to select items for the Pokemon Musicals. Maybe if it were sorted differently in some different sort of row selecting the pros wouldn't drive me crazy as much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Game Freak still put awful work into overworld sprites (What is up with people holding their arms out to their sides?) and can't animate them to save their lives - nice incredibly stiff walking animations. They also love to regress in almost every aspect of the UI and other good features in every game with no excuse (lol nobody liked all that useful pokétch stuff right guys). Meanwhile all they have to show for it is half a storyline (as opposed to one that was nigh non-existent as before) and better 3D assets.

vagrantwanderer

Saturated Sarcasm
    Years
    No buddies following you

I know this topic has already been discussed, but It still annoys me that they cut this from the game. I would much rather they kept letting us have our pokemon follow us and instead cut some content from the dress up games. I know that some people must like the dress up, but lets be honest: Letting you walk your pokemon all around the region was one of the most interesting innovations they made in the last three generations. Really, this is why I like HG/SS more.

Back