• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I guess this counts as a con, so I'll put it here - for some reason, every so often, I use a move (I think it only happens on my Herdier, Belvedere) and I lose half the move's available PP, instead of just one. It just happened; I used Dig, first move I'd used in my first battle since leaving the PokeCentre, and the next turn Dig only had 5PP remaining.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So I beat pokemon White with only 12 hours of gameplay.12.On top of that,this game feels very unorganized.The pokemon are stupid and the story tried to be deep.How deep can you get with a pokemon game?I caught the main legendary with one ultra ball (not sure if its suppose to happen) and was amazed.Victory road took like 10 minutes and the pokemon league was very easy.(Yes I know you can go back and fight them at higher levels)

The thing that really ticked me off was the incompatibility with the 3rd generation games.I cant pop in my Ruby or Sapphire and simply use PalPark.I have to transfer to 4th gen.What a waste of time.

Ive been a pokemon fan for years and Im so disappointed.Diamond and Pearl got it right,Black and white did not.

I'm at 10 hours and haven't beaten the fourth gym. Did you try to set a speed record or something? Or were you rushing through just so you could point out how fast you can play Pokemon on a forum?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    I'm at 10 hours and haven't beaten the fourth gym. Did you try to set a speed record or something? Or were you rushing through just so you could point out how fast you can play Pokemon on a forum?
    Yea man,I totally rushed just to be cocky. -.-

All I did was use the same pokemon in every battle.Maybe emboar is overpowered(Arm thrust was wrecking every pokemon)

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yea man,I totally rushed just to be cocky. -.-

All I did was use the same pokemon in every battle.Maybe emboar is overpowered(Arm thrust was wrecking every pokemon)
    Yeah Tepig evolutions are super powerful. I try not to use him so much so I can level up my other Pokemon, because I could probably take everything out right now with either Flame Charge or Arm Thrust and I'm still in the Pignite stage.

I also play the game by exploring EVERY house in every town, watching all the TVs, talking to all the people. I just have way more fun that way and the game is longer. My boyfriend can't stand that; he just kills things, grinds up his Pokemon, and beats the game with massively overpowered Pokemon, haha.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I just like it when the games last super long so I like more regions. I understand why there's only one though.

One pro is that training is going much faster in this game than in others. I love the rustling grass thing

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    Pros:
    -Great animation and graphics.
    -Changes the battle animations and such while still keeping the same formula.
    -Lots of features.

Cons:
    -Short.
    -Disappointing gym leaders.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I'm only on my way to the 6th gym so my pros/cons might change but here goes...

Pros:
    -Overworld graphics are incredible.
    -The plot is great so far.
    -ADDICTED (first time since Emerald).
    -Rivals are fun, especially having two.
    -Like most of the new pokemon.
    -No other region's pokemon until you beat the elite four.
    -Battles are fast and look great.
    -Cutscenes!
    -Music is pretty good.

Cons:
    -Backsprites annoy me a bit, but I'm kind of used to it now.
    -Steep level curve are some points.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Cons:
    -Disappointing gym leaders.

Design-wise? Or just their teams and whatnot? I think their designs for the most part are far more appealing than previous ones. Sadly, their teams were severely lacking. I suppose thats mainly due to wanting pre-5th generation Pokemon separate from Unova.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Design-wise? Or just their teams and whatnot? I think their designs for the most part are far more appealing than previous ones. Sadly, their teams were severely lacking. I suppose thats mainly due to wanting pre-5th generation Pokemon separate from Unova.

If you referring to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, yes some of the new Gym Leaders are more appealing design wise. But if you referring to HG/SS, all redesigned Johto&Kanto Gym Leaders certainly have much more better design than B/W gym leaders and in my opinion they are the best gym leaders design wise. Just look at Pryce, Blaine and Morty.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I didn't understand the choices on teams. Brock used to have a ton of Pokemon I'd never seen, making fighting him both interesting and fun. Instead, the first gym had two Pokemon I've seen already, losing the interesting factor. The second gym was the same with the Herdier and Watchog, it was only the 3rd when I started encountering Pokemon I hadn't seen already in the wild.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Big con for me is the very high levels the most basic pokemon evolve at. Wassup with that.

Besides that I pretty much love the game (Black).

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Pros
    I love 99% of the new Pokemon
    EXP system
    Overworld graphics
    Seasons
    Music

Cons
    Pokemon don't follow you
    C-Gear blows IMO
    Battle backsprites are too pixelated, but I'm used to them now

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'm actually really loving this game, the enhanced graphics, battles etc...

My only problem is (and it doesn't really effect the game that much for me),
    I really, absolutely despise Touya and Touko's english names, they're terrible - I feel like suing the person who came up with them...

Hilbert and Hilda... Pathetic. :( Although Hilda isn't that bad, I thought Blair and Kuro were much better!

harig07

Pokemon & SSBB newbie, YGO Pro
    Years
  • I hate not having Pokeradar. I actually enjoyed having to work for my Shinies. Also not getting the Super Rod right until the end is just dumb. Those are my only problems with the 5th Generation though, overall I found it to be very good.

Oh yeah I agree with whoever said the evolution levels were way too high for some of the Pokemon in this gen. The Dragons especially are a nuisance, I always love having a Dragon on my team but I've finished the game and my Deino is still, well, a Deino. Not very cool.

PokemonPlatnum

nomnomnom.
    Years
  • Story wise? Best Pokémon Game to date. At the end of the game, I actually wanted a sequel.. (spoiler)
    Spoiler:

The graphics where also pristine with one of the best generation of Pokémon yet, and the new battle modes just added something new. However, I did get quite annoyed at the level curve Post National Dex, I had a team averaging 43-47 and when I go to explore the next part of Unova the Pokémon trainers have Pokémon at level 60-70, I think a wee bit of time grinding before I explore that area is needed ;P

-PP

Back