• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    PROS
    -Most of the new Pokemon are cool looking, while only a few look out of place
    -The music in the games is amazing
    -The story seems to be more engaging than any other Pokemon game
    -Likes that you can't even see old Gen Pokemon before the National Dex, it gives the region a sense of originality.
    -Moving sprites; way better than Battle Revolution imo
    -The two protagonists seem to be more realistic
    -New Pokemon
    -Gamefreak is actually stepping out of their comfort zone

CONS
    -A few Pokemon look out of place, but nothing major
    -English names; they should definitely keep the Japanese from now on
    -Wifi battles reveal each team before the match; should be an option

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I hate the endless remixes of the trainer battle theme. (Seriously. There's like ten of them. The only good ones are the original and subway trainer.)

Hmm...that worries me a bit. I can handle 1-3 remixes of a certain song, but not something like a million. The Super Smash Brothers Brawl theme, as awesome and epic as it is, is by far the worst offender for remixing. Remixes should only be done if the original song needs one, or if the remixed version can simultaneously sample the original song and stand on its own. When you start getting like 5+ remixes, it's like hearing the original song, just in different clothes. Anyway, I'll wait until I play the game to critique the music pieces. Heck, I haven't heard any of Generation 4's music except the Dialga/Palkia Battle Theme remix in Brawl.

The only con in this generation is the choice of sprites. Who was in charge of telling the spriters to use D/P sprites, arguably the worst sprites of Gen 4.

My Isshu is that some of the cooler-looking Generation 4 sprites were replaced by less awesome redesigned versions in BW. I do like how some sprites echo their Generation 3 predecessors (i.e., the Weather Trio). And hey, not all DP sprites are bad! Honestly, which Rampardos sprite do you prefer:

Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

DP, where it looks like it's about to freaking Head Smash the heck out of something?

OR

Platinum/HGSS, where it assumes a generic standing position like who-knows-how-many other Pokemon have? This is the one BW uses, btw. T_T

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My Isshu is that some of the cooler-looking Generation 4 sprites were replaced by less awesome redesigned versions in BW. I do like how some sprites echo their Generation 3 predecessors (i.e., the Weather Trio). And hey, not all DP sprites are bad! Honestly, which Rampardos sprite do you prefer:

DP, where it looks like it's about to freaking Head Smash the heck out of something?

OR

Platinum/HGSS, where it assumes a generic standing position like who-knows-how-many Pokemon have? This is the one BW uses, btw. T_T
    The same problem happened to some older Pokemon, like Charizard and Floatzel, who should have kept their HG/SS sprites as their B/W sprites.

Some Pokemon (like Gallade), on the other hand, got improved sprites in B/W.

Years
    OMG, the camera is going to annoy me in this game. My mate works in a game store and he got it early, so I am watching him, and I feel sick with the camera movement already. It moves ALL THE TIME IN BATTLE!​

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I have now got Pokemon White, and by far my favorite part is the revamped EXP system makes it actually enjoyable to grind seeing as you will take risks to get a high amount of experience points.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I might update this when (if?) I get the game, but here's what I've gathered so far:

Pros:
    -Mijumaru has grown on me. In fact, I'm getting it as my starter. FizzyStardust's Let's Play on Youtube has kind of influenced me about this.
    -Animated sprites!
    -Geared toward an older audience. At least from what I've heard.
    -Lillipup is the cutest darn thing I've ever seen. And I'm a guy.
    -Tons of new type combinations
    -No previous Pokemon. I've got to admit, this was a daring move to make, but I think it's a good idea. For example, now I don't have to hear those annoying Zubat, Geodude, and Magikarp cries!
    -Triple battles and rotation battles. I hope there are plenty of these in the storyline, because I don't use wifi I lot.
    -One fishing rod.
    -TMs are reusable, and most HMs aren't required (plus they brought back Dive)

Cons:
    -Pokabu's evolutions look like....ugh..I just hate them. I liked it when it was first revealed, and I though it had some good potential for some awesome evos.
    -The English names. Zebstrika? Really? That's not fun to say.
    -Apparently there's not much to do after the E4. Bummer...I guess I can do some challenge playthroughs
    -No previous Pokemon. Yeah I said it was a good idea, but there's some parts I hate about it. Because it means there's no cross-generational evolutions with Gen 5. I want more Eeveelutions!
    -No Pokemon following you around.

I have now got Pokemon White, and by far my favorite part is the revamped EXP system makes it actually enjoyable to grind seeing as you will take risks to get a high amount of experience points.

Oh, what did they do to the EXP system? Because I really wish grinding was more fun.

Nukez

Goddess of Zorua
    Years
    No more pokemon walks?

I was kinda upset when i got my tepig and saw it doesnt walk behind you like it did in SS and HG. Any ideas why they may have went out with that?

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Perhaps with all the other cool features like C-Gear and the Xtransciever, they couldn't fit it in or maybe they just wanted it for HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I'm hoping they'll bring it back in the third game. I miss Mew following me; hell I even miss Typhlosion whose sprite looked like it was humping me. :\

Nukez

Goddess of Zorua
    Years
    Yeah i always felt so "BA" when i had a giant legendary like Ho oH behind me. Even tho no trainers in the game notice i still feel cool haha.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Since this is pretty much a con for the game, I'll merge this within the Pros and Cons thread for that kind of discussion. ;)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Yet ANOTHER Con...the fact that the feature depicting Pokemon heights and weights in comparison to the human player characters has apparently been removed, with only a mere number being used for identification. T_T

I mean, geez...DPPt/HGSS may have their flaws, but even they didn't screw up this bad compared to their predecessors by removing all of this minor-yet-useful stuff... :(

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I doubt they lost as many as you think they did.

If you're a true Pokemon fan, I don't see why you all are complaining so much about how the Pokemon look. They'll probably grow on you sooner or later anyway.

I have been playing since Blue and Red and there has never been a Pokemon I disliked.

I am so over-joyed at the new game I can't wait! All the Pokemon and the places look amazing.

That's partially right. at first you hate 'em, but sooner you find yourself become fond of them. some actually because i'm still hating a few gen 4 pokemon. But still, my nostalgia self still hoping for the comeback of old-simple-less excessive style design. I just hope future pokemon doesn't become more absurd than it is now(less inanimate thing pokemon). They should stay away from creating more mechanical like Pokemon or we will find ourself a.....you know the drill.

Haven't play B/W myself but i can make a few pros and cons:
    -pro-
    - a strong bug pokemon at last. i've been waiting for this for a long time since gen 3
    -The Champion and Elite four design are better than platinum in my opinion. Especially Adeku and Caitlin(yes, i prefer the japanese name)
    -Awesome TM system. now i can use TM without worrying about giving it to the wrong pokemon. Although it make the game become more easier.
    -Animated sprite

-cons-
    -another fire-fighting type fire starter? oh please, do you run out of idea gamefreak?
    -some absurd pokemon design. really, a bug pokemon with jetpack, ice cream cone, candle, and gear? you can do much better than that Ken Sugimori
    -again, too many Legendaries. Legendaries these days lost their "legend" feel compared to that in Gen 1&2 legendaries.
    -N. I don't hate him until i see him ANYWHERE in pokemon fanart.
    -Compared to what I see in HG/SS, B/W gym leader are really bad in design. Arti(Burgh) is the only that I like.
    - no new eevolution makes me sad

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    At this moment in time I love everything....

Except for the fact that you still can't transfer Pokemon with HM's.

Goodbye Surfing Pikachu... :'(

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    OK I wish the wild Pokemon had higher levels, because with this new EXP system, it's really difficult to grind a Lv10 Pansear when you encounter a bunch of Lv4 Pokemon.

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    OK I wish the wild Pokemon had higher levels, because with this new EXP system, it's really difficult to grind a Lv10 Pansear when you encounter a bunch of Lv4 Pokemon.

Just wait till you progress past the Elite Four. ;)

Back