• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pyxal's Complete FireRed Upgrade Guidebook

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
^ Ditto to the above question. I'm wondering if you can edit movesets etc after inserting DPE. I can't imagine making half a hack then not being able to modify stats or moves if I made a mistake on a Pokemon lol

You cant, like if you open it on g3t after editing the ini, it'll still read as glitched movesets

Years
Thank you very much for the tutorial!

I got it all working and even managed to mess around with a few files in the CFRU to try and understand it and see if the outcomes I expected happened in the compiled rom and they did!

A few questions I have tho. How exactly does this iteration of the DNS function. Is it off of a set start time that ticks even when the game is off - or when its on only? Does it function off the time on the system running the EMU? If there's any sort of documentation on the DNS id love to read up on it more and see if its a right fit for my hack or not. I was interested in making some of my more rare/strong Pokémon appear as overworld encounters with their hidden ability on a specific day.

Apologies for the late reply, but you can find a segment for DNS on page 78 in the documentation. For time-based wild encounters, have a look at page 74.

My biggest concern tho is what order I should be editing my rom. I understand I am not supposed to do any editing to an already compiled rom. So how do I manage to edit trainers and pokemon data. Wouldnt applying the CFRU overwrite any of those changes I make? I know it doesnt mess with map structure or scripts. So I should do all of that work prior to applying the CFRU/DPE.

You can edit a ROM with the DPE, but not a ROM with the CFRU. CFRU shouldn't touch majority of the stuff you've edited, since it adds more stuff than it edits. But to clear your problems, 1) A lot of tools will be incompatible with CFRU; I suppose you could edit INI's and such, but I haven't tried it and 2) since the CFRU is an extremely heavy insertion; there are many things you can change dynamically like trainer sprites, OW sprites, scripts, region map data, every PKMN learnset, new items etc. In the end, its just a precaution/advice. You could simply insert it and make a game, but that kills the dynamic factor since you can change anything at any point if you want when following the recommended insertion steps in the doc.

^ Ditto to the above question. I'm wondering if you can edit movesets etc after inserting DPE. I can't imagine making half a hack then not being able to modify stats or moves if I made a mistake on a Pokemon lol

You can edit the movesets directly through DPE [src/Learnsets.c]. Also remember that you need to update src/Tables/level_up_learnsets.c in CFRU too.

Years
Update #1
The tutorial has been updated with another method for setting up the CFRU. It is still incomplete and needs a lot of clarification. The whole tutorial will get a rundown and polishing in the next update. For now, it's just a step upwards to start working with the CFRU. Next update will hopefully be out in a few days.

Years
Hi! Thank you for this. Just for clarification here, do we take a clean version of a FireRed ROM, apply DPE and anything else (for me, I'm considering DS Style Selection Screen + Sideways Stairs), work on the mapping, scripting, etc., and only after we are finished and ready to see/playthrough what we have, apply CFRU and play the test.gba?

Years
Hi! Thank you for this. Just for clarification here, do we take a clean version of a FireRed ROM, apply DPE and anything else (for me, I'm considering DS Style Selection Screen + Sideways Stairs), work on the mapping, scripting, etc., and only after we are finished and ready to see/playthrough what we have, apply CFRU and play the test.gba?

That is correct.

Years
It's a good tutorial, friend. Thanks. One question: would CFRU recognize a rom with OW expanded with OWM?
That is, if I have a rom and I expand the OW with OWM, and then insert CFRU. There would be no problems?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I wish there was a person who actually makes a complete hack with mapping, scripting and so one using this upgrade.. im way too confused as a beginner haha

edit: as a video series tutorial I meant. Im a dummie ^^

Last edited:
Years
It's a good tutorial, friend. Thanks. One question: would CFRU recognize a rom with OW expanded with Overworld Manager?
That is, if I have a rom and I expand the OW with Overworld Manager, and then insert CFRU. There would be no problems?

Have a look at the notes section in the tutorial.

I wish there was a person who actually makes a complete hack with mapping, scripting and so one using this upgrade.. im way too confused as a beginner haha

edit: as a video series tutorial I meant. Im a dummie ^^

You'll get the hang of it eventually. But as far as I know, Leon made some tutorials for it.

Years
Update #2
This tutorial will get a major overhaul. Extensive explainations, changing of deep rooted CFRU files, a resource depot made specifically for the CFRU, high degree of polishing of text in the tutorial and much more will be added! The update will take effect somewhere next year.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 48
  • Seen Oct 17, 2021
This is a totally beginner question but how could I just add DNS? Can I just edit the associated dns files and patch or do I have to edit everything to match vanilla?

I followed the YT vids last night and got it working, however I don't want to expand the dex / move pools.

Thanks for this btw - amazing tool!

Years
This is a totally beginner question but how could I just add DNS? Can I just edit the associated dns files and patch or do I have to edit everything to match vanilla?

I followed the YT vids last night and got it working, however I don't want to expand the dex / move pools.

Thanks for this btw - amazing tool!

If you just want the DNS, you can use this tool.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jul 10, 2023
I started your tutorial today but I had a problem with Evolution Table.c so I did it according to Leon Dias tutorial and passed this file in the compilation.
Another error I'm having now is for the CFRU, I don't know how to insert a photo here, I'll leave the link, if you can see, I appreciate it.
https://imgur.com/jeDCpyQ

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 27, 2023
How do I edit a game that's already been compiled ? can I extract it somehow using these files ?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 22, 2022
Just been following the tutorial and when it comes to double clicking the 'PATH' I get a different screen come up?

Where do I add the new PATH to?

*Resolved, I just added the new path to the end of the variable value*

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    26.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 22, 2022
Hi all, So I recently added the Complete fire red upgrade to my 90% complete hack and it all worked perfectly......except for all my new rival battles? before applying the upgrade the scripts work fine but when i apply it, for some reason it stops working? any ideas why? Ive attached imagines of the script in Advanced map and Ive put the script down below.

Spoiler:

(I think it is the scripts that have "var number" in but not certain)

thanks for any help

also does anyone know how to customize Gen 3 tools (G3T) so that it can see the expanded pokemon and moves from the DPE? I know it's in the customization folder but I don't know what to change?

Attachments

• this.PNG
    this.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
  • this 2.PNG
    this 2.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
This more related the the dpe and cfru themself but, every time I try to build the rom I get the error "Assembling ./assembly\hooks.s There was an error compiling the engine: [WinError 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application". What am I doing wrong?

Dawn Deer

Hex Maniac
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2023
When using 'Item Data till Gen VIII' how do you fix this:

Spoiler:

It seems to be complaining that some map definitions don't exist?

Back