• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Question about shiny breeding

BG pokemon freak

Has 6 Shiny pokemon ... YAY
Years
  • I have a silver game with a legit shiny Tangela - female lvl 41.
    I wanted to ask those of you who really understand shiny breeding, what are the odds if i breed the Tangela with a Paras for the baby to be shiny ?
    all I know is that the gender ratio for Paras is 50/50
    but what specie baby will i get ...
    will it always be a paras if it's male ... and will it get the female genes ... stuff like that...

oh, and does the Red Gyarados and a regular female Gyarados produce a 1/64 chance of a golden magicarp ??? and does it have to be female ? since the Red one is male the must the golden magi be female ...

thanks in advance ;)

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • There's actually never been any evidence to support the percentage chance of breeding. Most who answer this question say it is mere chance, and the just because the parent is a shiny does not make the child one. I am inclined to agree with this as I'm sure something would have been said ealier on on some pokemon website, but there has yet to be nothing. Just keep breeding and maybe you'll get lucky...

BG pokemon freak

Has 6 Shiny pokemon ... YAY
    Years
  • there are better cnahces because
    1 - shiny status is determined by the IV's of pokemon in the G/S/C games
    2 - when you breed pokemon , the baby gets the IVs from both parents ...
    so when I breed a shiny gyarados and a normal gyarados, the baby will always get a combination of the IVs of the parents... what i want to get luccky with is the baby not getting a combination, but only inheriting the shiny's stats, and this way it will be shiny too....
    i was just asking someone who had already gone through it and knows a little better what the chances are ... like - 1/64 or 1/ 128 or 1/256 ... or so on ... but no matter what, form the mathematical point of the game the chances are better than 1/8000 ... for sure

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There's actually never been any evidence to support the percentage chance of breeding.
    It has been proven that the chance of getting a shiny by breeding increases in GSC when one of the parents is shiny. This is because in GSC (and GSC only), IVs/DVs determine a Pokémon's alternate color status, and IVs are indeed passed down by breeding.

Odds of encountering a shiny in the wild are 1∕8192. Odds when one parent is shiny are 1∕64. It is impossible for two shiny monsters to breed, because their DVs are similar enough that the game thinks they are related.

Back