• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Question about shiny hunting for legendaries

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    Hello,

I would like to know if the party that the trainer has at the time of soft resetting AFFECTS the SHINY APPEARANCE RATE for LEGENDARIES in ORAS. I am trying to SR for Ho-Oh without the shiny charm. Thanks. Also, how long do you think it would take me for Ho-Oh to appear without the Shiny charm?

Years
    If I understand your question correctly,which pokemon you have in your party has no basis on the appearance rate of the shiny. The shiny rate of Pokemon in gen 6 is 1/4096 without the shiny charm.

It honestly might be faster to complete your pokedex and get the charm, then head back and start SRing.

Imo, it's certainly worth the effort, as if you're interested in hunting more in the future, it's a sound time-investment. Plus, it's another fun goal to achieve. I know it seems daunting at first, but it can actually be surprisingly fun to rack up the numbers in your dex!

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    Ok, thanks. I have another question. Can you take breaks in between SR sessions, or do you have to go ahead and soft reset in one seating in order to create a "chain" for the legendary shinies? Please let me know if rests are allowed, and you don't lose your "progress" while SR'ing, thanks.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ok, thanks. I have another question. Can you take breaks in between SR sessions, or do you have to go ahead and soft reset in one seating in order to create a "chain" for the legendary shinies? Please let me know if rests are allowed, and you don't lose your "progress" while SR'ing, thanks.
    No chains really exist. It's just a matter of luck. The more you reset, statistically the chances improve. Some people like to keep track for their reference, though. Besides you're literally resetting, as far as the game is concerned, that's your break.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2016
    What about shutting off the 3DS, and then returning to the SR'ing session? Are your soft resets stored in the system somehow? Or, do you have to sr on one seating?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    What about shutting off the 3DS, and then returning to the SR'ing session? Are your soft resets stored in the system somehow? Or, do you have to sr on one seating?

Again, the amount of times you SR has nothing to do with the shiny chance, so you can take breaks. You just need to get lucky.

Years
    If you try and do a little bit each day towards your National Dex you'll complete it in no time. I'm currently trying to ensure I get roughly 20 or so towards it per day. GTS, Wonder Trade and random trades with acquaintances are your friends.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yes, after 3 hours I can usually SR 50 times or more. It won't take long, if you don't get distracted like me :p

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    Just a tip to speed it up. Strap a rubber band around your 3DS so the L and R buttons are already pressed down. Then you only have to press start or select. And it's easier to SR while doing something else like this.

Back