• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about sleep, burn, and poison

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2009
    Quick question about these conditions- do these conditions take effect on the same turn they are used?

For example, let's say player 1 uses mewtwo to put player 2's vulpix to sleep using hypnoblast. Is a coin flipped immediately after the hypnoblast is used to see if vulpix wakes up, or do we wait until the end of player 2's turn?

Also, let's say a player uses smog to poison a pokemon and deal 20 damage. Do we add another 10 damage straight away (30 damage altogether), or do we wait until the poisoned pokemon's turn has finished before we start adding 10 damage each turn?

Thanks

Last edited:

TearsofanUchiha

What do you know about me?
    Years
    Let's break this down:

First question. Yes, a coin is flipped immediately, since attacking automatically ends your turn. Before your turn starts, you flip a coin to see if the Pokemon is awake.

Second question. Again, after your opponent attacks, you immediately start adding the damage from Poison on both the beginning and end of your turn.

Hope this helps! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2009
    First question. Yes, a coin is flipped immediately, since attacking automatically ends your turn. Before your turn starts, you flip a coin to see if the Pokemon is awake.
    i see. so suppose a pokemon uses an attack which puts the defending pokemon to sleep if a flipped coin lands on heads. does this mean that 2 coins have to be flipped- one to see if the defending pokemon is put to sleep, and then one *immediately* after to see if the defending pokemon wakes up again before the defending players turn? thanks.

(just to clarify, my question is if the defending pokemon can try to wake up *immediately* after the attacking pokemon has put him to sleep.)

Years
    i see. so suppose a pokemon uses an attack which puts the defending pokemon to sleep if a flipped coin lands on heads. does this mean that 2 coins have to be flipped- one to see if the defending pokemon is put to sleep, and then one *immediately* after to see if the defending pokemon wakes up again before the defending players turn? thanks.

(just to clarify, my question is if the defending pokemon can try to wake up *immediately* after the attacking pokemon has put him to sleep.)
    Yes, a coin is flipped between turns for sleep. Even if the Pokemon was just put to sleep by an opponent's Pokemon.

Back