• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

question about sprite animation

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2019
    I was wondering how exactly would I animate a sprite? I have a few custom shiny sprites and custom regular pokemon ones where I made outfits for them and was curious how I would animate that?
    I know in essentials generations 1-5 are animated automatically when updated to it so I was wondering how exactly does that happen?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
    I was wondering how exactly would I animate a sprite? I have a few custom shiny sprites and custom regular pokemon ones where I made outfits for them and was curious how I would animate that?
    I know in essentials generations 1-5 are animated automatically when updated to it so I was wondering how exactly does that happen?

Umm ... they aren't. This kind of voodoo magic does not exist.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years

Essentials doesn't come with any animated sprites, as far as I know. There is the Elite Battle System, which includes animated sprites, but that's a separate add-on entirely.

Typically, from what I've seen, sprites are usually animated frame by frame. So that's likely what you'd have to do. Ultimately, it depends on what battle system you use. The EBS uses long strips of frames to animate them, as such:

question about sprite animation

So if you use EBS, then you would probably need to edit every frame to your needs.

Otherwise, if you use the default battle system, I'm pretty sure it's capable of supporting GIFs. So one route to take could be to make the animation would be to do it frame by frame and compile it into a single GIF.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2019
    ah thats what I meant, thanks for the correction. How exactly would I edit it frame by frame?
    thank you for the reply

Back