• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Question: The Clashing of Tiles

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    I'm trying to create a hack, and I'd like to ask the Pokecommunity's opinion on it.

I'm currently mapping a city and have added the tiles for a building from Black and White as well as a new Pokemon center. I've run out of space on my tileset and cannot add anymore new buildings. My question is; what is the stance on having different tiles in Hacks clash? I'm trying to make do with the tiles provided in Firered version, but I can't help but feel like a lot of the buildings look different.

How do most other hacks get all of their tiles in uniform design if they only have limited space? Glazed Version, the hack I'm playing now, has new building, ground and tree tiles, yet all of it together looks like it would never fit in a tileset. I've only added one (albeit big) building to my tileset and a new Pokemon center and I don't even have enough space for a Pokemart. Is the suggestion only to use smaller buildings? Is there a way to expand the tileset space or can I change the default palettes (0-6 on Firered) and add my own default things like a Pokecenter?

Thank you all in advance for your time and consideration.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
    When making the tileset(s), try to make it as compact as possible; instead of copy-pasting a whole building in it, try pasting only half of it and delete duplicate tiles for more space. When putting together the tiles into blocks in the blockset you can flip them accordingly and therefore only need half a building.
    And as far as I know, you can only change the amount of blocks you can make, not the tileset itself.. correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this post made sense.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Ah, that makes sense. Though, a quick question; How do I flip the tiles? Do I do it in AdvanceMap?

Yeah, when you are creating the buildings for use in Advance Map in the Block Editor section, you can flip the tile in the Y-Axis, so mirroring the tile as is said.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016
    The most important thing to look for is symmetry as the other have said. The second is probably putting as much as you can on a single pallete. Keep your pallete diverse so you can convert other tiles into it.

Grayish pallete for fences, signs, stairs. Blueish pallete for the sea, greenish for grass and trees etc. Irfanview is your friend

Also fill up every single 8x8 tile.

Back