• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions about hacking habits

What are the variable ranges you use the most?

• Total voters

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2016
    Greetings, everyone.

I come here today to ask you some questions about your way of hacking.
    Mind that it is not only because I'm curious (which I am), but also because I need to know these answers in order to make my hacked engine as compatible with your needs as possible. So, I shall start by asking a question and after some time gathering results, I shall post a new question together with the results of the previous question.

To start off, here's the first question:
    When you hack, which variable range do you use the most?

There is a pool on top of this page with the helpful answers, but feel free to justify them on this page. Also, if you can, please answer a related question:
    How many variables out of those do you expect to use?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I use variable 5000-6000 just out of raw habit, and on the other question I expect to use a lot of variables in my hack. Variables are one of the most fun things you can use with scripting.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • I use the last set of variables simply because I saw people use them in tutorials and it was out of the range of the already used ones.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • It depends on what I want the script to do. For level scripts, I use 4000-4500, merely out of habit. For others, I generally use 7000-8000. I'm not really picky with my variables, as you can tell.

Just to note, sometimes I do pick randomly.

jakerman999

looking for spriters
    Years
  • I tend to use 5000-5500 as short term variables, 5500-6000 as "quest" variables, and 6000+ as long term variables. also, i posted this before but the outage deleted my post :(

Back