• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Questions about the Pikachu in Yellow

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    I have a few questions about the Pikachu in Yellow. First of all is that Ash's Pikachu? And also can you soft reset for gender? I know there's no genders on R/B/Y. I mean when you traded them to G/S/C a gender was given.

I'm asking because I seen a youtube video where you can soft reset on R/B/Y and you can know for sure that Pokémon is shiny [you just won't seen it being shiny until sent to G/S/C]. It depended on a certain amount of hp,attack,etc...You had to get it exactly right. Since,you can soft reset for shinies on R/B/Y can you also soft reset for gender?

I'm just asking because [I'm not sure if I'll get Yellow. That is why I'm asking first.] if I did get Yellow I'd like to soft reset for a male Pikachu [I'd sent it over to Moon once Nintendo updates the system to allow transfer]. I don't want to play through the entire game just to find out my Pikachu was female.

Also,I know I asked if this Pikachu belonged to Ash. Is this Pikachu more so Ash's or the event one back some years ago? Can they both be considered Ash's Pikachu? I know the event one is. I'm just not sure about the one in Yellow.

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
    Is that Ash's Pikachu?
    >Nothing states so, the game might try to resemble the anime a bit by giving you a pikachu as a starter and by adding Jessie and James to the games but since nothing says you are Ash probably thats not Ash's Pikachu.

Can you soft reset for gender?
    >"The gender is pre-set when you get the Pikachu. However, trading to a Generation II handheld game or viewing the Pokémon's info in Stadium 2 is necessary to see the gender, and the gender ratios do hold true even for the starter Pikachu in Yellow. The gender'll always remain the same as it was set no matter how many times it gets transferred between game paks, just like any other Pokémon. Although I've had it male most of the time, I've gotten it female at least once myself.">Shiningpikablu252 , Bulbapedia Pokemon Yellow discussion.

Can my Pikachu be shiny?
    >Since the IV's change from pikachu to pikachu i assume it can become shiny once traded to gen 2

Also i dont think you would have to "play through the entire game just to find out my Pikachu was female", i think that as soon as you get access to your PC you can migrate it to Sun/Moon. As far as i know there is no confirmation that you will need to play through the intire game to be able to migrate, you might just have to get to a PC, at least thats the case when migrating from gen 5 to 6

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    You can choose to name the character Ash at the beginning of the game, so technically it can be Ash's Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm guessing you've probably started by now, but if you want a male Pikachu (and don't have a Stadium 2 game to check it against), you want an attack DV (equivalent of IVs in the newer game) in the top half of the spread. Gender in the first two generations depends on the attack DV and the gender ratio, with males having higher attack DVs and females having lower ones. For most starters with a 1 female:7 male ratio (not Pikachu, I think it's 50/50 like any other Pikachu, though I've never really looked into it), the attack DV in gen I and II ranges from 0 to 15 (inclusive), so 16 total values. The two values at the bottom of the distribution (0 and 1) are for female starters, and the others (2 to 15) are for male starters. So if you used a DV calculator, you'll want an attack stat that gives you an attack DV that's higher than 0 or 1. (If using an IV calculator, take the freshly obtained, untouched Pokemon, enter its stats, and divide the IV result by 2 to get your approximate DV. At level 5, you'll probably get a range of values rather than an exact value, but you can narrow it down enough to get the gender you want.)

For a 50/50 gender ratio Pokemon, like Pikachu, you're aiming for an above average attack stat for it to be male (DV 8-15 for male, 0-7 for female). If you know the stat range for your Pikachu (try https://www.azurilland.com/tools/stat-calculator for max and min stats, use a neutral nature for gen I and gen II; some Pokemon have changed base stats a bit over time, but Pikachu's attack has kept the same value, so the calculator should work), you can get an attack of 10-12 for a level 5 Pikachu. To be safe, you would then aim for a Pikachu with an attack of 12 at level 5, an above average value, though some Pikachu with an attack of 11 would be fine too.

This same practice could apply to any Pokemon. Gender, like shininess, is based on DVs in RBY, so if you know what DVs a Pokemon has, you can figure out if it will be shiny, and what gender it will be.

Ash is not in the games. The Yellow Pikachu is not Ash's Pikachu. However, the datamined Pikachu that can wear Red's hat and some of Ash's hats is probably what a transferred Yellow Pikachu will become. Whether those are actually Ash's hats or just hats that happen to be the ones Ash wore in the anime as a nod toward that separate canon, who's to say? I'm leaning towards Ash not existing at all in the game universe, as that's how it's always been.

We don't know if Sun/Moon will properly turn Pokemon with DVs that would be Shiny in Gen 2 Shiny when transferred. They could very well not do that and most people would be none the wiser. (In fact, non-gift and non-stationary encounter Pokemon will never have legal DV spreads that result in becoming shiny when traded to Gen 2 due to a faulty RNG implementation in the Gen 1 games.) We also don't know if Sun/Moon will properly set a Pokemon's gender based on their DVs, like the Gen 2 mechanic either. Again, most people would be none the wiser.

If you want to be safe, try to get a Pikachu in the higher ranges of possible Attack DV values, as that translates to being male in Gen 2 for a 50/50 ratio. But again, there's no guarantee that Game Freak will follow Gen 2's mechanics, so it's really a coin flip. They may freshly generate a PID for transferred Pokemon agnostic of their old DVs, which gives you a 50/50 shot at a male Pikachu when it arrives in Alola regardless. We really don't know.

Transferring from the VC versions to Sun and Moon requires that so much of the Pokemon be regenerated or freshly generated that it might as well not be the same Pokemon anyway.

Back