• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Rake

- The Relentless Oblivion -
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    Ok, now I dont get what IV battles are for. Does that improve those stats?

Years
    Not necessarily, you see, it's hard to calculate the exact IVs of a Pokemon from their lv. 1 stats. It's still hard to calculate them exactly from lv. 50. IV battles are done so that all Pokemon become lv. 100. This projects their stats to what they would be at lv. 100. This way, you can calculate your exact IVs without being off. They can only be done via wi-fi.
    Calculator in ^^'s post is used for this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    I'm leveling a Rhyhorn and everyone has lightning rod. When it evolves, does it have a chance to switch to a different ability? I noticed Rhypherior has a different abilitiy and lightning rod.

---

I can catch a Rhydon in victory road, right?

Years
    When your Rhydon with Lightingrod evolves into a Rhyperior, it will keep its Lightningrod ability. However, if it has Rock Head instead, its ability will change to Solid Rock.

Yes, Rhydon can be captured on Victory Road in Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    Cool thanks :) I need to go get one right now so I can use Rhypherior for the Elite 4

New question: Will I be able to travel to the other regions like Johto, Kanto?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013

You can travel to whatever region you're in in whatever game you're playing. D/P/Plat is not backwards comptabiel with Gen III games. Any transfer of Pokemon from Gen 3 games is permanent, and you can't go back.

The Johto remake is pure fan speculation and has been that way ever since it started back in Gen 3.

alexis515148

The shiny pokemon trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    Cool thanks :) I need to go get one right now so I can use Rhypherior for the Elite 4

No, if you want to go to other regions buy the games that have those regions, but in D/P/Pt you can't. The only game that you could go to another region to was G/S/C. Also, random you didn't understand his question...

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    No, if you want to go to other regions buy the games that have those regions, but in D/P/Pt you can't. The only game that you could go to another region to was G/S/C. Also, random you didn't understand his question...

I understood it perfectly, and even answered it. You travel to the region that's in the game.

Anyone who has ever played D/P/Plat would already know if any other regions besides Sinnoh are accessible.

Years
    Pokemon EV Question

Alright, so I've been training my Infernape for the past hour or so. I've killed a total of 60 magikarps. My infernape is equipped with a power anklet.

It's speed stat right now is 172. After battling 60 magikarps using the vs. seeker, I used a rare candy on my Infernape and it gained only +4 on speed. I don't think this is right. Can anyone help? Also, it's level is currently 53.

Last edited:
    Years
    EVs are gained whenever you gain experience. If your Infernape has been battling before starting EV training, it may have already reached the 510 limit for total EVs. If you want to make sure you're doing it right then use the berries that "makes a Pokemon more friendly, but lowers the base X stat" on it until its doesn't lower the stats anymore. Then, you can EV train again and you should see some results. Either that or breed a new Chimchar and start from lv. 1. Does this help at all or do I need to explain more?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Alright, so I've been training my Infernape for the past hour or so. I've killed a total of 60 magikarps. My infernape is equipped with a power anklet.

It's speed stat right now is 172. After battling 60 magikarps using the vs. seeker, I used a rare candy on my Infernape and it gained only +4 on speed. I don't think this is right. Can help? Also, it's level is currently 53.

Well, first of all, 60 Magikarps with a Power item equipped would provide 300 EVs, while the absolute limit for a single stat is 255 and the practical limit is 252. I am sorry to say this, but quite a few of those battles were useless.

Secondly, the stat increase granted from Effort Values is gradual, meaning that it will not all show in a single level. Rare Candies are supposed to not factor in any boosts from Effort Values, either, which would explain why you only saw a small increase.

Of course, as jigglyppuff8 mentioned above, it is just as possible that your Infernape had already reached its limit for EVs before you had even begun fighting those Magikarp.

Years
    Like I said, EVs are gained whenever experience is, so yes. You should either use the berries stated in my last post or get a new Chimchar to start fresth.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    If you use Shoddy Battle, you can create it in there to get an idea of what stats you should expect at what level. It says that a Lv53 Infernape with max EVs and max IVs will have a speed of 169, so yours probably has a speed-boosting personality.

And yes, you gain EVs every time you battle, so that probably is effecting its stats too.

Years
    Thanks a bunch guys. Also, when I start over and breed again, do i start the EV training process right away?

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    Can an action replay change an existing pokemon's nature and have it's stats change accordiningly?

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
    Where is the guy in Platinum that tells you what type of Hidden Power your Pokemon has?

I can't find this guy for the life of me, I thought he was in the Battle Tower but that was the IV guy, I thought he was in Celestic Town, checked, not there....

And there's no way I can find something like that in the guide.

I could just get on Wifi and figure it out through a calculator but I just want to know the type. I feel bad right now and just want to continue... U_u;

Back