• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2009
    I have a question

When using my charizard, It never uses the salac berry it's holding. I could get it to 1 HP, and it still will not use it. Does anybody know why this is happening?

Years
    It's not a HP restoring berry, so how much health your Pokémon has left wouldn't affect its use. I'm not an expert on berries, but from what I see it's a berry that raises speed slightly just by holding it, as in the Pokémon doesn't have to consume it to get the speed boost. But there's a chance I'm wrong, I'm just going from quickly looking up the berry description.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    It activates at 25% health. I believe it is a phantom activation, (or not made noticable). So if you mean you are not seeing anything in regards to your pokemon- that is probably why. I am not expert here either. I honestly never use Salac in my mix up (as of yet). But i'm a noob:D

11wildy

Me!
    Years
    The berry activates and is normally consumed when at 25% or less health. It should say Charizard's Salac berry raised it's speed. I don't know why it's not working for you.

PhantomDraco

Take what you can...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2010
    Yes

I have a question. What Flying type should I have on my new Platinum team? I was considering Honkrow, but apparently it's not available. And I've used Staraptor for 3 runs in Gen IV.

Well it depends.
    Skarmory is a decent Pokemon, and has both Steel and Flying typing.
    Another decent one is togekiss, who is a Normal/Flying type.
    In the end, it usually comes down to personal opinion.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    were is a good place to train grass pokemon and 1 psychic pokemon lvl 16-22?

It actually depends. If you want to level up your pokémon quickly, I would suggest training in the areas where there are level 15-23 pokémon with one being North of Solaceon Town. Over there, there are also grass types and psychic pokémon, but also trainers with different types of pokémon with the levels 14 and up. Though if you prefer the levels being a little lower, I suggest training them training them East of Hearthome City. There also leads to two trainers and level 13-17 pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yes

I have a question. What Flying type should I have on my new Platinum team? I was considering Honkrow, but apparently it's not available. And I've used Staraptor for 3 runs in Gen IV.

There are several options. If you're looking for something you can get relatively early, then try Crobat or Noctowl. Gyarados is Flying-type, but doesn't learn Flying-type moves other than Bounce. Beautifly is pretty easy to get, but not very strong. Vespiquen might be good if you have enough patience to get a female Combee and train it.

Gligar, though available only after the second badge, is a very useful Pokémon. Once you can evolve it, there are many good moves it learns; however, you'll have to use TMs for some of the better ones like Earthquake and Aerial Ace (?).

Years
    What do you think?
    I have used a Chatot throughout Platinum but now Im stuck in the Pokémon League and I consider training a Staravia/Staraptor since Im not sure if Chatot is that great for the League. (It has been pretty strong throughout the game though). However it would take a lot of time to train Staraptor to level 50 or higher. My Chatot is currently level 42. Should I keep on training Chatot or go with Staraptor?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    What do you think?
    I have used a Chatot throughout Platinum but now Im stuck in the Pokémon League and I consider training a Staravia/Staraptor since Im not sure if Chatot is that great for the League. (It has been pretty strong throughout the game though). However it would take a lot of time to train Staraptor to level 50 or higher. My Chatot is currently level 42. Should I keep on training Chatot or go with Staraptor?
    If you can, the go for training up Staraptor. It learn great moves: (Close Combat being an especially useful one) and it has quite good stats.

If you think you can stick with Chatot, then try it with the E4. If it fails, then your only option is Staraptoe I guess.

PhantomDraco

Take what you can...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2010
    Where can you find leftovers in Pearl? Also, do they go away after a single trainer battle, etc.?

Years
    Leftovers are permanent. You can find them in Victory Road after obtaining the National Dex. It's in the cave that was closed off by that one guy in Victory Road. You'll need Surf too.

Black_Lightning

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Question on Pearl

What is the first gym leader's pokemon type? Will I be ok using Chimchar? What element of pokemon should I catch for that gym?

Sorry, I'm just getting Pearl the Monday after Thanksgiving, that is why I'm so nervous.

Years
    It's a Rock Gym (Geodude, Onix, Cranidos), so you would be fine with Chimchar since it evolves into a Fighting type at level 14 which learns Mach Punch pretty early.

The gym shouldn't be too hard, half of all Pokemon you meet on the way there should have a type advantage over it too, Bidoof (after evolving at level 15 (i think)), Budew, Psyduck, Geodude, Machop, all starters... (Kad-)Abra would be a good choice as well since Rocks have almost no special defense...
    Did i forget anything?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2009
    Yes, I agree, the first gym shouldnt be a problem for you. By the way you will love pearl, its a great game! If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them! Good luck!:)

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
    There's two of the best Pokemon starters that will probably defeat Roark, who has rock type Pokemon pretty easy at a low level, that's Piplup and Turtwig. If you choose Chimchar, it learns Mach Punch, which is a fighting type Pokemon move and evolves into Monferno. If you have him as a good choice, evolve Chimchar into Monferno that learns Mach Punch, to defeat Roark.

Years
    What is the first gym leader's pokemon type? Will I be ok using Chimchar? What element of pokemon should I catch for that gym?

Sorry, I'm just getting Pearl the Monday after Thanksgiving, that is why I'm so nervous.

Just North (up) from Oreburgh is a grassy patch.
    Go there for a Machop. It learns Low kick which hits the gym hard.
    May need several Poke Ball or a Great Ball.

Otherwise just Mach Punch Monferno. And try to keep the gym TM if you are able to trade for a Smeargle or have the patience to PokeRadar for one or can Pal Park one.

Alternatively, a Lv.16 GEODUDE should pull off a Magnitude sweep (Magnitude 7 - 10).
    Geodude's Ground-typing will resist possible rock damage. And the HP EV points from Bidoof become 'acceptable'.
    As well as resist the laughable Tackle from Onix.

Can throw Rock Climb, Strength, Rock Smash HM's on Geodude or Bibarel later.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    Just catch a Psyduck, it learns Water Gun at Level 9 and can rip through Roark's team if you take it to level 12ish

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Green: Psyducks aren't available in Diamond and Pearl, only Platinum.

Yeah, either train your Chimchar to level 14, catch and beef up a Machop or Geodude, or pick a different starter.

Back