• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So, I decided I'd like to play some online battles. Random battles, trading and all of that.

I have a DS and I am about to complete the game (as in beat Ghetsis). I have a router with wifi and a functional DS etc etc well within reach of the router.

Is this all I need to be able to play? And is there anything I should know before I start battling? Thanks.

As long as your internet security is compatible with your DS, you're good. WPA security is only usable with DSis and above.

what does it mean when it says "there is a pokemon outbreak on route X"?

also, when you want to EV train your pokemon in just 2 stats do you avoid fighting other pokemon which wont benefit that stat? because if not i dont see how you can get to 252 in 2 stats...

That's right. Most of them you can find an area where most of the Pokemon benefit it (Celestial Tower for Sp. Atk., Rte 1 water for Speed), but there is one where at most 1/2 the Pokemon there are beneficial, I believe it's Defense but I could be wrong.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
what about the pokemon outbreak bit? i see it on every bulletin board...

It means a Pokemon is swarming, in other words, there's a higher chance of finding a rarer or normally not exclusive Pokemon on that route it mentions. You can read more information here.

Years
This is a bit confusing but I'll try my best to delineate my question.

In Pokémon Black & White, right before you battle with N, you capture Zekrom or Reshiram depending on what version you're using right? Then it basically forces you to switch out a member of your party for the new legendary. My question is that if you use the legendary in battle against N and Ghetsis, will you get EVs from their Pokémon?

When I first caught Reshiram, it automatically placed him in the first slot of my party as I only had 5 Pokémon at the time. I was worried he would get EVs that I didn't want if I used him in battle against N & Ghetsis, so I switched him out for another Pokémon and played on from there, except Reshiram still got some EXP for having been in the fight at the start of the battle after the first opposing Pokémon was killed. Would Reshiram get EVs from that Pokémon even though it wasn't the one who killed it?

If so, it's basically impossible to keep your tao legendary untouched 8(

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This is a bit confusing but I'll try my best to delineate my question.

In Pokémon Black & White, right before you battle with N, you capture Zekrom or Reshiram depending on what version you're using right? Then it basically forces you to switch out a member of your party for the new legendary. My question is that if you use the legendary in battle against N and Ghetsis, will you get EVs from their Pokémon?

When I first caught Reshiram, it automatically placed him in the first slot of my party as I only had 5 Pokémon at the time. I was worried he would get EVs that I didn't want if I used him in battle against N & Ghetsis, so I switched him out for another Pokémon and played on from there, except Reshiram still got some EXP for having been in the fight at the start of the battle after the first opposing Pokémon was killed. Would Reshiram get EVs from that Pokémon even though it wasn't the one who killed it?

If so, it's basically impossible to keep your tao legendary untouched 8(

It asks you if you'd like to add the legendary to your party, and you don't have to, so it is possible to have it without EVs. But you did get EVs from that one Pokemon, sorry :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What does it mean to have flawless IV's?

It means that basically in each IV (which extends from 0 - 31) that your stats are 31 and therefore perfect, so if you were to ev train that Pokemon with a helpful nature, their stats would reach the maximum possible number, so for example if you ev trained a Herdier in attack w/Adamant or something with flawless IVs, it would have the maximum possible attack overall while every other stat has the maximum possible for non Ev'd stats if that makes sense.

You can also read more here.

Aeonz361

Army of 1
Years
I used the Metalkid IV calculator, but I have no idea how to read that thing. I put in the information and saw a bunch of numbers pop up at the bottom, which of course mean nothing to me. Any help Forever?

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2013
I was just wondering if I needed Level 100 Pokemon in order to battle online or if the game converted your Pokemon and their stats to the highest level when battling.

Thanks.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I was just wondering if I needed Level 100 Pokemon in order to battle online or if the game converted your Pokemon and their stats to the highest level when battling.

Thanks.

Nope. Your Pokemon won't get put to Level 100. If you go into battle with say a level 70 Pokemon, it will stay at level 70.

I used the Metalkid IV calculator, but I have no idea how to read that thing. I put in the information and saw a bunch of numbers pop up at the bottom, which of course mean nothing to me. Any help Forever?

Those numbers are the Iv's your Pokemon can have. As you raise the Pokemon's level the numbers will start to round down to 1 number. That will be the Iv. The Metalkid calculator tells you what level to raise it to, to get the best and accurate results. :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
VGC Hack Check Help

Does anybody out there know anything of the hack checks at VGC? Do you think it would come up as hacked if I checked my excadrill's EV's using an AR code after I maxed them out the right legit way?
The problem is I just can't trust myself to do a perfect job with counting the EV's and I would really like the confirmation lmao

Perriechu

Years
Does anybody out there know anything of the hack checks at VGC? Do you think it would come up as hacked if I checked my excadrill's EV's using an AR code after I maxed them out the right legit way?
The problem is I just can't trust myself to do a perfect job with counting the EV's and I would really like the confirmation lmao

I'm pretty sure if you use Ev/Iv checking codes on Pokemon it doesn't make it "hacked" I'm not too familiar with the hack checking of the VGC. I'd either Google to find your answer or ask over in the CBC question thread. :)

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
I don't know if this goes here, but:

In the house where you get the Larvesta egg, there's a guy in shades in the carner who taks about pokemon and items behind rocks. Who is this guy, and what is his purpose?

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I don't know if this goes here, but:

In the house where you get the Larvesta egg, there's a guy in shades in the carner who taks about pokemon and items behind rocks. Who is this guy, and what is his purpose?

He's probably just another NPC that gives you tidbits of info. Nothing major.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I was wrong...

Last edited:

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
OK, turns out he buys Rare Bones. As for where to GET rare bones, they're a 1% chance hold item on dwebble and crustle.

Perriechu

Years
OK, turns out he buys Rare Bones. As for where to GET rare bones, they're a 1% chance hold item on dwebble and crustle.

You can also purchase them for 10,000 in Black City and sell them for 5,000.

Aeonz361

Army of 1
Years
Hi, when I EV train I start at training at level 1 and of course the Pokemon I'm training isn't strong enough to defeat the EV giving Pokemon and I heard that using Exp. Share gives the Pokemon that has the Exp. Share EVs wanted or not. What's a good way to EV train?

Perriechu

Years
Hi, when I EV train I start at training at level 1 and of course the Pokemon I'm training isn't strong enough to defeat the EV giving Pokemon and I heard that using Exp. Share gives the Pokemon that has the Exp. Share EVs wanted or not. What's a good way to EV train?

You could just use Rare Candies to level it up to a decent level. It doesn't gain Ev's that way. Or you could get a fully Ev'd Pokemon and do the switching method. Since the fully Ev'd Pokemon has maximum Ev's, it won't gain any unwanted Ev's, leaving your level 1 Pokemon to get the full Exp and the Ev's. :)

[Switching method = Sending out level 1 Pokemon. Instantly switching for level 100 Ev'd Pokemon]

Perriechu

Years
One more " quick question " if I wanted an elekid to have egg moves: ice punch and cross chop, how would I do that?

You'll have to get a male Machop/Machoke/Machamp from Generation IV and teach it Ice Punch and Cross Chop. Breed it with a female Electabuzz or Electivire.

Then hatch the egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back