• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

R/B/Y/G/S/C: Elite Four Challenge

Years
  • Welcome to the R/B/Y/G/S/C Elite Four Challenge! In this challenge, you choose one Elite Four member from the Generation I and II games (Champion included), and then play through the game with the Pokemon listed for that Elite Four member.

1. You may only use Pokemon used by your chosen elite four member.
    2. This is not a race so take your time!
    3. The first Pokemon of your type must be caught before defeating Lt. Surge (R/B/Y) or Whitney (G/S/C).
    4. No glitches whatsoever.
    5. No legendary Pokemon!
    6. No trading unless it is to evolve a Pokemon or to get otherwise unobtainable Pokemon (i.e. Fossil Pokemon, and version exclusives).
    7. HM slaves are allowed (2 maximum), but you CANNOT use them in battles!
    8. No hacking unless it is to get otherwise unobtainable Pokemon (i.e. Fossil Pokemon, and version exclusives).
    9. You may choose a Elite Four member even if someone else has started a challenge with him\her.
    10. Emulators are acceptable, and you may use the spacebar for speeding up grinding
    11. Please update posts once every few gyms... Or every gym if you feel so inclined ^_^
    12. Your challenge ends after defeating Blue (R/B/Y) or Red (G/S/C).
    13. Please specify which version (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, or Crystal) you are using for your challenge.
    14. HAVE FUN!

And for the Pokemon you can use (Pokemon lists based on the rosters in R\B\Y\G\S\C, Stadium, Stadium 2, and the anime):

Spoiler:

To sign up, I require the following:

Username:
    Elite Four member:
    Game:

That's all, so go ahead and sign up!

Challengers:

Lorelei:
    Bruno:
    Agatha:
    Will:
    Koga: Emoxy
    Karen: Cruelty and the Beast
    Lance: Luigi-San, Mürre
    Blue: VideoFreak

Champions:

Lorelei: myrrhman
    Bruno: Ezashin Koori
    Agatha:
    Will:
    Koga:
    Karen:
    Lance:
    Blue:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Question: Must I catch my first Pokemon (before 3rd gym), or can I hack my first Pokemon in?

Name: Emoxy
    E4 Member: Koga
    Version: Crystal

I'll be most probably speedrunning through this as I really have nothing to do anyway.

Okay I found a way to emulate it on my phone, so I most probably will take it slowly. Haha.
    Emulator-ing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Question: Must I catch my first Pokemon (before 3rd gym), or can I hack my first Pokemon in?

Since there's at least one Pokemon used by each Elite Four member that you can catch before battling the third gym leader, I'm going to say no to that. I'll only allow hacking if it's to get a version exclusive or otherwise unobtainable Pokemon.

Ezashin Koori

Cold Steel Wing Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Name: Ezashin Koori
    Elite Four Member: Bruno
    Game Blue

Quick Question: Assume that someone chose Lorieli. When you start a game, you recieve three different options. Now Lorieli doesn''t use any of the starters possible, so here's my question: Do they need to play through the entire game with at least one of the E4's mons or at least from Vermillion?

Years
  • Quick Question: Assume that someone chose Lorieli. When you start a game, you recieve three different options. Now Lorieli doesn''t use any of the starters possible, so here's my question: Do they need to play through the entire game with at least one of the E4's mons or at least from Vermillion?

You have to have at least one Pokemon used by your chosen E4 member by the third gym. In Lorelei's case, you can catch Jigglypuff on Routes 3 and 4 in R\B\Y.

Years
  • Another question (sorry =P): Do I name myself the Elite Four member, or my name, or it's up to me? Haha.

I'll probably have these:

Weezing
    Ariados
    Nidoking
    Hypno

And get Spinarak at the start.

Ezashin Koori

Cold Steel Wing Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    Challenge Log

Ezashin's Quest of Bruno
    -Started out as the guy; named him Ezashin
    -Named the rival Lelouch
    -Recieved Squirtle, beginning the challenge. I named the Squirtlte Reg
    -Defeated rival Lelouch's Bulbasuar
    -Recieved and delivered Oak's Parcel
    -Skipped rival battle. Lone Reg would be decimated under the weight of two opponents at the moment
    -Travelled through the the Veridian Forest, grinding to Lv 10
    -Went straight to the gym. Barely made it through the first person. Left to rest and train
    -Trained to Lv 13
    -Fought and defeated Gym Leader Brock. Recieved the Boulder badge and TM 34 Bide
    -Traveled into Route 3. Reg evolved into Wartortle
    -Entered Mt. Moon with Reg at Lv 17
    -Caught Geodude; named her Gaia
    -Caught Clefairy; named her Hymn
    -Returned to Route 3. Grinded Hymn to Lv 14, Gaia to Lv 17, and Reg to Lv19
    -Cleared Mt. Moon; took the Dome Fossil from the Fossil guy
    -In Cerulean City, desposited the Dome fossil onto the pc
    -Fought and barely defeated rival Lelouch; luckily he didn't use vine whip or razor leaf
    -Cleared the Nugget Bridge; I wanted to join, but if Game Freak did that, there would be no heros
    -Arrived at the Sea Cottage exhausted. Tip for future Bruno Questers: Become a regular to Pokemon Centers
    -Activated Bill's Cell Machine and recieved the SS Ticket

Current Team:
    Reg, the Wartortle Lv 20
    Gaia, the Geodude Lv 19
    Hymn, the Clefairy Lv 19

Edit: I'm going to say getting the Farfetch'd isn't worth asking about, but I still am using it for cut and fly, since surf is going with Reg, strengh>Gaia, and Flash>Unobtainable due to the main rules (I believe you get it for 10 mons registered, but at the time it's available you only will have caught 5-6 mons and by the time you get it, you'll only need it for Item Completion)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sorry, due to some unforseen circumstances, I gotta pull out (Koga) for now.
    I'll inform you when I can play again.

Reason being that I lent my phone to my friend (for some time), and I don't want to play it on my computer as it'll just be another speed run. I prefer taking it slow and easy as I really want to put in some effort in this run.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    BTW you realize in your rules you say "your chosen gym leader" when they are elite 4 members... did you just Copy and Paste the gym leader challenge to this?

Ezashin Koori

Cold Steel Wing Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    BTW you realize in your rules you say "your chosen gym leader" when they are elite 4 members... did you just Copy and Paste the gym leader challenge to this?
    I think he meant "chosen gym leader" as "the person you chose". Otherwise, he and I made a large mistake, though...

Update

Defeated Misty's Gym trainers and retreated
    Defeated Misty
    Defeated the Rocket with Dig
    Arrived in Vermillion
    Took Bike Voucher, and returned to Cerulean; got Bike
    Boarded the SS Anne

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I feel like doing a challenge now. I'm going to try to do all of the avaliable trainers, and as an added difficulty, I'm only using the Pokemon that they actually use in the game that I play. So, here we go, starting with Loreli!

Named myself LORELI! and Rival obligatory LOZER
    Chose Squirtle, because that's what the real Loreli would choose.
    Beat LOZER
    Did Parcel thing, Beat Brock, Evolved Squirtle (SLAVE ONE), caught Pidgey (SLAVE TWO) and Jigglypuff (USELESS), my first member!
    Went back and beat people with Useless
    Useless learned Pound!
    In Mount Moon, Useless learned Water Gun! It became much more useful and didn't die as much.
    Saved Bill
    Defeated Rocket and got Dig. Useless learned Doubleslap and then Evolved into Wigglytuff!
    Saved and quit.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    Name: Mürre
    Elite Four member: Lance
    Game: Blue

I started the game and named my character Lance. My rival was named Red. I chose Charmander as my starter and named it Charlie. I beat my rival and started the adventure, I did the parcel thing and so on. I leveled up my Charlie quite a lot, beat my rival at Route 22. It was pretty hard because of his Pidgey's Sand Attack and Squirtle's Bubble. After beating him I caught a Spearow. (Going to trade it to HM Slave Farfetch'd in Vermilion City) I put the Spearow to a box and continued training my Charlie.

Then I ran through Viridian Forest and beat all the trainers easily with Charlie's Ember. I healed my Charlie in Pewter City and then went back to Viridian Forest for some training. We trained until Charlie got to level 16 and evolved. With my new Charmeleon we went to the Gym.

First we battled with Jr. Trainer. He sent out Diglett, I sent out Charlie. Charlie beat it with two Embers without taking too much damage. Then he sent out Sandshrew. Again it fainted after two Embers. Then I went to the Pokémon Center to heal my Charlie because I knew that Brock was going to be a tough opponent to my Charmeleon.

Brock's Geodude was beaten without taking any damage. Charlie used Ember several times and Geodude only used Defense Curl. Charlie grew to level 17. Fortunately Onix wasn't too hard to knock out. Some Embers and it fainted, Charlie had lost only 4 HP.

After beating Brock I continued towards Mt. Moon. I beat all the trainers quite easily with Charlie. I healed him in the Pokémon Center and bought the overpriced Magikarp. I trained the Magikarp at Mt. Moon and headed to Cerulean City. I healed my team in Cerulean City's Pokemon Center and went back to train my Magikarp a little bit more. Again I healed my team and went then to Route 24. I battled with my Rival and won the battle quite easily. After that I went back to heal my team and then I continued to battle the trainers on Route 24.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Book 1: Chapter 2

Beat Misty relatively easily with Sing/Doubleslap.
    Went to Vermilion City
    Beat LOZER on the S.S. Anne and got Cut
    Got an Oddish, named it SLAVE ONE, deposited Wartortle.
    Barely got through Rock Tunnel in one piece. USELESS killed the very last trainers last pokemon with its last attack that could damage. Also I was paralyzed and had like 13 health left.
    Barely got through Lavendar Tower. Only being able to hurt Ghosts with Water Gun hurts.
    Got a Super Rod, then got a Poliwhirl, then got LOLA the Jynx, my first party member. She immediately learned Bubblebeam.
    Saved and quit for now. This was the hardest leg of any challenge I've done yet.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Name: VideoFreak
    Elite Four member: Blue
    Game: Red

Planned Team: Venusaur, Gyarados, Arcanine, Electabuzz, Nidoking, and Pidgeot

Update:
    5:34 PM - Picked Bulbasaur, Beat Rival Red
    5:36 PM - Crossed Route 1 to Viridian, Bulbasaur grew to Lv 7 and learned Leech Seed
    5:37 PM - Delivered Oak's Parcel, Got Town Map
    5:38 PM - Headed back to Viridian, Bought 5 Pokeballs
    5:39 PM - Caught Pidgey on Route 1 [Lv 3]
    5:40 PM to 5:42 PM - Trained Pidgey t Lv 7 on Route 1
    5:43 PM - Caught Nidoran M on Route 22 [Lv 3]
    5:43 PM to 5:47 PM - Trained Nidoran to Lv 7 on Route 1
    5:52 PM - Beat down every trainer in Viridian Forest, Bulbasaur is Lv 9, Nidoran is Lv 9, Pidgey is Lv 8
    5:54 PM - All Pokemon are Lv 10 from training on Route 2
    5:56 PM - Destroyed Brock's underling using Bulbasaur and trained Bulbasaur to on Rt 2, Bulbasaur is Lv 13, Bulbasaur Learned Vine Whip
    6:06 PM - OHKO'd both of Brock's Pokemon with Vine Whip, got Boulderbadge and Bide TM
    6:08 PM - Pidgey and Nidoran are Lv 12 from training on Route 2
    6:13 PM - Beat all trainers on Route 3 and did a bit of wild training, all Pokemon are Lv 15

Saved outside Mount Moon.

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Don't know why, but Koga gave me major problems. Took me three tries to beat him. I just couldn't do any significant damage to Weezing. Also, Jynx sucks, a whole bunch. Anyways, I got the ability to use Surf, which really helps. Then I got Surf and Strength.
    Went to Seafoam Islands (from Pallet Town) and finally got more Pokemon. I got ARCTIC the Dewgong, CHILL the Shellder, and SHIVER the Slowpoke. Taught Slowpoke Dig and Strength, Dewgong Surf and Rest, and Evolved Shellder and taught it Surf, Tri Attack, and Hyper Beam. Also, Jynx learned Body Slam.
    Beat everyone in Erika's Gym and Jynx grew to level 31 and learned Ice Punch. But then it wouldn't obey me, so I skipped Erika and went to Blaine instead. I figured Dewgong could beat the gym for me. Got the Secret Key.
    Trained Cloyster instead. Surf pwnd the gym. Unfortunately, it didn't let pokemon obey me like i figured it would. Went back to Erika. Easily beat her with Aurora Beams from Cloyster and Dewgong, Ice Punch from Jynx, and Fire Blast from Slowpoke.
    Went to Silph. Slowpoke learned Earthquake. Got Card Key, beat LOZER, got Lapras (GLACIER) and beat Giovanni.
    Slowpoke evolved in Sabrina's Gym!
    Desperately tried to get Lapras some exp. My levels at the time are 37, 41, 36, 35, and 17.
    Easily beat Sabrina with Slowbro.
    Went to Giovanni and beat all the trainers in his gym.
    Did some suicide training on the next to last LOZER battle.
    Did Victory Road.
    Loreli: I started each round using the same Pokemon that she used. Wasn't too bad, even though I was super underleveled. Could beat Bruno on first shot. Agatha is too tough, though. Saved and quit.

Edit: A lot of runs later, I beat Loreli rather easily with Lapras and Jynx and Bruno completely with Lapras, although I was almost dead (I survived Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick). So, I started using my items and saving. One hyper potion for Lapras. Switched to Slowbro and fought Agatha. Earthquake took Gengar down in two shots (I hit through confusion). Cloyster took down Golbat with Aurora Beam. Slowbro took down Haunter with Earthquake. Arbok was taken down by Cloyster in a long battle. The final Gengar killed a few of my Pokemon, but I think Lapras took it down. I healed up and fought lance (Lapras lead). OHKO Gyarados and both Dragonair. Cloyster 2HKO Aerodactyl, surviving a Hyper Beam. Also 2HKO Dragonite w/ Aurora Beam (He used Barrier and Agility). Feeling pretty good, I healed up and entered the final battle with 1 hyper potion, 12 Full Heals, 6 Max Potions, and 16 Revives. Pidgeot was taken down by Cloyster. Alakazam was taken down by 4 Earthquakes from Slowbro (although it killed Dewgong). Rhydon was one hit by Lapras's surf. Gyarados used leer twice on lapras, so I killed it with Thunderbolt. Crit OHKO Arcanine with Surf. And then Venusaur happened. It was faster than my whole team and had Razor Leaf/Mega Drain.

Started over from post lance. It was much easier for some reason. Jynx 2HKO Pidgeot w/ Ice Punch (Mirror Move failed). Slowbro took Alakazam down w/ 2 Earthquakes (the second was a crit). Rhydon was OHKO with someone's Surf. Arcanine and Gyarados were taken down by Lapras. And then Venusaur came out. And was an idiot. Charge for solar beam, Fire Blast hit, solar beam (slowbro down). Charge for Solar Beam, Psychic, Solar Beam (Lapras down). Charge for Solar Beam, Aurora Beam, Venusaur fainted!

And so I became the champion of the Kanto League.

Final Team:
    LOLA: Jynx level 47 w/ Ice Punch, Bubblebeam, Lovely Kiss, Body Slam
    ARCTIC: Dewgong level 49 w/ Aurora Beam, Surf, Headbutt, Rest
    CHILL: Cloyster level 42 w/ Aurora Beam, Surf, Supersonic, Withdraw
    GLACIER: Lapras level 51 w/ Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic, Thunderbolt
    SHIVER: Slowbro level 50 w/ Earthquake, Fire Blast, Confusion, Strength
    SLAVE TWO: Pidgey level 5 w/ Gust, Sand Attack, Fly

Last edited:

Ezashin Koori

Cold Steel Wing Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010