• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fanfic] Rabbit Mochi for Twin Sisters

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • ---

BEFORE READING. While this fic takes place in my Genshin Verse, Silence is Purple, reading that fic is not necessary to read this. This is a standalone piece.

You do not need extensive Genshin knowledge to read this, but it occurs during an optional story in the game. This content can be read as its own thing just taking place in the country Inazuma.

With that being said, please enjoy.

Rabbit Mochi for Twin Sisters

"Do I miss my sister? Of course
    I do every single day. I
    Vye for the day I can see her again. In
    Our letters I do not mention that, I am
    Rather terrible at expressing emotions. But today I received a
    Creased, small
    Envelope that was
    Dated for today.

Perhaps I am seeing things, but
    As I continue to
    Read, my eyes swim over the words, my
    Eyes wander over to this: 'I'm coming to Seirai Island tomorrow to visit you!'
    No, wait, tomorrow?
    Tomorrow. Too soon.
    Shunko, this puts me in a tight spot what should I do?"

It was a stormy day as usual in Seirai Island. Inazuma lightning storms continuing to go on strong everywhere except the Asase Shrine, a young black haired rabbit person adorning a dark blue hakama with a light blue blouse plastered with lightning bolts on the sides swept leaves piling up.

Autumn foliage biting the dust, the rabbit miko wiped sweat off their brow. How could so many leaves pile up? How tiresome. Neko really ought to hire more hands to help her. But, they supposed they were the only option.

Final set of foliage vanquished, the shrine maiden gazed at the sky above them. Sky tinted a slight orange, they let out a sigh. It was finally nighttime? What a slow day it had been. It was time to pack up shop for the day.

"I'm leaving, Neko-san," the shrine maiden said.

Self proclaimed black cat's ears perking, the rabbit miko shook their head. What now? They were off the clock now. No more work. It could wait until tomorrow. Everything after hours was a waste of time.

"Isamu-san, we need to renovate the shrine, nya," Neko said.

Isamu held back the urge to roll their eyes. This conversation again? How tiresome. Every single day, such a demand would be imposed upon them. What was the point? No one visits the Asase Shrine except for the annoying ram and goat artist and writer duo. Doing extra work was a waste of time. But, their answer is always the same.

"I'll think about it," Isamu responded.

Braving the storm as they walked home, Isamu gazed at the lightning cloud high above them. Every day was always the same. Nothing of interest ever happened on Seirai Island. Why couldn't there be more than just Shrine Maiden duties to perform? But, such thoughts never left their rabbit brain. Expressing thoughts was a waste of time, for sure.

Reaching their home in the only dwelling of Koseki Village, Isamu entered their abode. Same old questions asked by their human father as every day, they droned back the same singular word answer, like always. Same four letter word. Same question of that's all they have to say? Same affirmative answer in return.

But, something different was about to strike.

"You received a letter today," their father said.

Isamu blinked rapidly. A letter, after all this time? When was the last time he had received a letter by that nekomata delivery girl? Weeks, months? He could not recall. Every day was exactly the same as the last.

Undoing the sticky adhesive on the paper mail holder, the rabbit miko's ears bat on top of their head. Archons, a letter. Now, of all days. Light violet paper in front of them, they had begun reading.

"Isamu nee-san,

It's been awhile since I've written to you! How have you been? Lately, Watatsumi Island has been really busy preparing for some strategic peace treaty, and all I can think lately, is 'I wish my sister were here, I miss him.'

These peace talks don't seem to involve me, so Sangonomiya-sama told me I can take some time off from my miko duties! Hehe, so I've got a surprise for you.

I'm taking a boat to Seirai Island! By the time you get this letter, I'll be here tomorrow evening! Let's eat some rabbit mochi together like the old days!

There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about you, nee-san. As a rabbit chimera, sometimes days are more lonely than others.

Let's spend the next few days together as sisters!

Sincerely,
    Shunko."

Isamu's hands shook as he finished reading the notes. Archons, tomorrow? His twin sister was coming by tomorrow. Twenty four hours from now. There was no time.

Archons, tomorrow. Less than twenty four hours. How was he going to have time to make rabbit mochi before going to the shrine tomorrow? Impossible, no way. There was far too short a notice for such a thing.

Evening supper of carrot kinpira served, multiple questions about the letter had been tossed Isamu's way. Answers involving not having time sent back, a predictable father answer had come out of the stormy woodworks.

"Why not make the rabbit mochi before you head to the shrine tomorrow morning?" his father suggested.

Isamu dropped his chopsticks as such had been said. Wake up a few hours early? How cumbersome. But, for his sister, he would do anything. His twin, his second half. He supposed, doing something other than what he did every single day was a nice change of pace.

"I'll wake up early tomorrow," Isamu responded, words dry. He then let out a huffed breath."Do we have the ingredients?"

"Of course, Isamu-chan," his father replied. "I bought the ingredients the other day."

Hearing such, Isamu blinked. Had otousan hid this letter from him for awhile? How much did he already know about this? Were the Archons withholding such information to him until it would be too late? The rabbit miko did not know, but curses to the Raiden Shogun for withholding such letter for him for days, if so.

Staring at the walls as he took his evening bath first like he did every day, thoughts drowned themselves into a sea of garbage. Shunko, how long has it been since he had seen her? Three months? Three years? The divorce felt so long ago now he couldn't remember. But, the trash continued as his nose sunk beneath the water.

Recalling a saying his mother had always told him that chimeras should always stick together, a string of irony had been cut off his fingers. Yeah, right. Always stick together. Parents were always dishonest hypocrites. How bothersome.

As he dried his hair and changed into his nightwear, the final set of waste threw itself in the trash bin. Tomorrow morning, rabbit mochi. Tomorrow evening, his sister. As he retired for the evening, a thought rolled in.

There needed to be more hours of the day.

"Today, I'm going to see my sister.
    Will he be surprised to see me?
    It's been so many years.
    No matter how much time passes, I never

Stop thinking about him.
    I miss him. When we were kids we'd always eat
    Snow rabbit mochi
    Together. Gone are those days.
    Every day, I am here, away from our former home.
    Really, every day always feels the
    Same. Assuming miko duties.

Taking out monsters, as fast as lightning.
    Oh, I miss you, nee-san. I'm
    Giddy to come see you again.
    Even if it's just a little while,
    This is something I'll treasure. Even if it's only a short forty-eight
    Hours, I'll treasure it.
    Even if we don't see each other again for a
    Relatively long time, regardless, I'll treasure every moment. With my twin, my other half."

Awakening at dawn, Isamu tied his hair in a low hanging bun like he always did every morning. But, such routines ended there. Stepping into his kitchen, rice flour dough and sauce awaited him.

Taking a deep breath, Isamu glared at the ingredients. Right, rabbit mochi. Just like when they were young viewing the moon together as children. Surely, he remembered how to make it after all these years.

Adding flour, water and sugar into a bowl, Isamu mixed the ingredients together in a careful manner. Ingredients laying in the container, multiple dumplings glared daggers at him one after another.

Pounding his fingers into the rice flour dough, sweat invited itself to the baking session. Was he doing this right? Seven above, it had been so long since his mother and he had done this together. His hands were so much smaller back then.

Flour flattened one after another, ten sets of snow bunnies had their buzums laid bare on the cooking table. Tiny tails stuck onto the backside the foundations had been made to the rabbit snack castle. Sauce mixed in the center, the guests were ready for cooking.

As the flour dough baked itself underneath the flame, another sea of garbage rolled around in Isamu's brain. Shunko, what if she didn't like it? What if she would be disappointed in him for leading a boring, uneventful life? No matter how he looked at it, he knew he had nothing of value to tell her.

Mochi rising to the top, the fluffy creatures were dropped into another bowl. Letting the future rice bunnies chill for a short amount of time, more trash thoughts fell out of the garbage bin of doubts. Shunko, would she even be interested in hearing about his boring life in the stormy world of Seirai Island? No, probably not. She was about to be so bored listening to him.

Flour cool enough to touch, a tiny flamed skewer had been placed on the table. Rabbits eara painted on, Isamu let out a sigh. Were the ears big enough? Maybe they had been too small. They definitely were nothing to write home about.

Toothpicks in his hand, Isamu tacked on the eyes on each and every rabbit. Mochi done and dusted, he let out a sigh as the hours escaped him. Was what he had done enough? He was not sure.

Normal morning hours upon him, Isamu slipped on his hakama. It was time to focus on his miko duties. Thoughts about disappointing everyone could hit the door. Evening would arrive slowly. Time was slowly ticking.

Usual morning kittens missing from their usual spots as he physically clocked into his shrine maiden duties, the routine of gathering Neko's many children droned on. Cats returned to their usual places, the next tiresome routine kicked in.

But, as he fed the kittens, the trash rolled in. Shunko, was her life as a shrine maiden many islands away much more thriving than his? She definitely had a far more eventful life than he did on the other end. Watatsumi Island, far more people lived there. Didn't they have an army there? His sister's letters were always far more exciting than his responses.

Monsters crawling in like they always did in the afternoon, a divination had come the Specter's ways. Hydro Delusion doing the honors, a long, painstaking cleansing of poor unfortunate souls kept on going like it always did.

Bigger, more cumbersome monsters crowding around him as the afternoon hours crawled on, the sea of debris came on crawling back. These past few years, were they even worth sharing? His monotonous days of nothing. The sameness of his miko duties, would any of that be interesting? He did not believe so, in the slightest.

Returning to the shrine, the same old orders of clearing away the autumn leaves took over the later hours of the afternoon, but as he had begun sweeping away, a surprise he had never anticipated had come speeding his way before he had the time to react.

Short, young rabbit woman with long, black hair flowing down to her backside with a purple hibiscus hairclip and light lavender kimono with lightning bolts on the sleeves, Isamu practically dropped his broom. Was that Shunko heading towards the shrine? No, it was far too early for this. Why was she here already? Was it evening? There was no time.

Sister approaching closer, the broom shook in his hands. Archons, here she comes. Raiden Shogun, curses, couldn't she drop down some sort of time stopping thunder? No. Impossible, she was already coming.

Sweeping away as much of the fallen leaves as he could, sweat mounted up on his forehead. Archons, she's coming. Any minute now, she would be here. At the shrine, waiting to see him. Ready for disappointment over his monotonous life.

Sister approaching home base, the Asase Shrine's Miko knees buckled. Time was running out. She was here. Other half closing in, he swept away. Look busy, look busy. But, it had been too late to look hard on the job. She was right there, right in front of him.

"There you are, Isamu nee-san!" Shunko greeted. "Otousan said you work at the local shrine until the evenings. Hope I didn't surprise you!" A warm, gentle smile was on her face.

Hearing his sister's words, garbage piled up in Isamu's brain. She saw their father already? Did she want to see him more than he? He knew that his father's life was far more interesting than his. But, as the trash muddied, Shunko had begun to wander. Had she been bored of him already? Maybe he wasn't good enough for her. But, an all too familiar fact had been laid down shortly after the waste laid to rest.

"Hehe, this shrine is pretty empty," Shunko said, smiling. "It could use a nice rabbit statue!" But, a quick protest had come her way.

"This is my shrine," Neko hissed. "Isamu-san, when are you going to get me a big cat statue, nya?"

Usual demands coming his way of another cat statue. Isamu rolled his eyes. Did Neko really have to do this right now while his sister were here? But, he guessed hearing the mere suggestion of a rabbit statue pushed her buttons. Right, in the world, cats were predators. If he were a normal rabbit, he would be prey. But, he threw the trash away. Right, give her the same answer as always. Move along.

"I'll think about it, Neko-san," Isamu responded.

Usual response given that a nice renovation of the shrine would have more people come, Isamu gave the same old farewells, like always. How embarrassing, Shunko had to see all that. Turning his broom in, his sister's eyes were on him.

"Are you ready to go home?" Shunko asked. "Let's walk together!"

Leaving the shrine behind, Isamu gazed at Shunko. Archons, had it been so long. Had she gotten taller? It had been almost eight years since the divorce, since their very early teenhood. The two of them had been in their earlier adult years now. Time had been slow for years on end.

As the storm clouds brewed, many fears made his ears twitch on top of Isamu's head. Shunko, would she find his life boring and uninteresting? Would she go back packing as soon as she heard how nothing happened in his life? How uneventful Seirai Island was? How no one but bandits lived here? Archons, he was such a boring person. She was about to be incredibly disappointed.

Abode about to be front and center, lightning crackled from above. A storm was brewing. Was Raiden Shogun watching him? She was going to unleash her judgement upon him for his mundane way of living. But, a question soon pushed the trash away.

"You and otousan don't live underground?" Shunko asked.

"We don't," Isamu responded. "You know how otousan is." But, Shunko laughs.

"Same old otousan," Shunko replied, laughing. "Okaasan and I live underground in Watatsumi Island."

Hearing Shunko's response, Isamu blinked. How long had it been since he had burrowed underground? He supposed it had been so many years since then. How long had it been? Isamu did not know. Every day here had been more or less the same since the divorce.

Stepping inside the house, the usual greetings had been exchanged to one another. Questions about work and singular answer returned, as usual, his father excused himself. Saying he'll make supper, the next step of nerves mounted up.

Shunko asking to come to his room, Isamu froze for a moment. Archons, his room. He was about to disappoint his younger twin sister any minute now. But, it was already too late to back down.

Tiny room with their family crest on the wall and Raiden Shogun figure in the corner, sweat mounted on Isamu's back. Archons, his room was embarrassing. He was about to be told to decorate more, for sure.

"You have a Raiden Shogun figure, too?" Shunko asked, smiling. "That's so cool! I have the same one!"

Shunko proudly declaring she had the same figure, Isamu tried to smile, but no such action came. Face laying frozen, he gazed at his kin. She had a Raiden figure, as well? He guessed the saying that twins were on the same wavelength was true. But, maybe that was just a rumor.

"You do?" Isamu asked.

"Of course, silly!" Shunko replied. "General ----- gave me one during the Irodori Festival!" She then let out a little giggle. "How have you been doing since you last wrote to me?"

Archons, there it was. The question that would disappoint everyone. The answer that would disappoint everyone, as well. How could he tell her that everything was the same as always? That nothing happened here? That nothing ever changed? That every single day was a boring monotonous loop?

But, he knew he couldn't lie. Twins always knew what their other half was thinking. His mother always told him when he was a young girl Shunko and he came from the same egg. Whatever that means. He was not interested in men, or having children to figure out. Taking a breath he readied for disappointment.

"Every single day here is the same as always," Isamu responded. He then closed his eyes. "Sorry. Was that answer not what you were expecting from me?"

But, what came next was an entire array of shock. Shunko laughing, Isamu broke out into a cold sweat. Did he just say something funny? He could not fathom whatever that funny phrase might have been. Maybe twins being on the same wavelength was a lie after all.

"Isamu nee-san, are you thinking I'm disappointed in you right about now?" Shunko asked.

Isamu could feel his heart flutter. Did Shunko just guess exactly what he's been thinking all this time? Maybe he was wrong to think the saying about twins was a lie. Seven above, he was on the spot now? What should he say? Were words even necessary in this situation?

"...Yes," Isamu responded with hesitation. But, laugher came his way.

"Hehe, thought so, nee-san. You've been giving off nervous energy for some time now," Shunko responded, giggling. "I'm not disappointed. You know what? My life has been the same every day, too. Boring, monotonous. Sangonomiya-sama almost never lets me in on her strategic stuff. Just tiresome miko duties if I'm ever needed."

Isamu could hardly believe his ears. Shunko's days were boring and always the same, too? Surely, she was just trying to be polite since they hadn't seen each other in so many years. Yes, that had to be it. That was definitely the case. She was just trying to be nice.

"Really?" Isamu asked.

"Really, nee-san," Shunko responded. "Sometimes I wonder if the Sangonomiya Shrine even needs me." She then wrapped her arms around her sister. "Isamu-chan, I really missed you. It's been so long since we've been together like this."

Sisterly embrace warming him up the garbage mountain in Isamu's mind cleared out. When was the last time he and his sister hugged like this? He could not remember. In Inazuma culture, hugging was not a common family gesture. He forgot what warmth felt like.

Father calling for supper to start, bowls of Kenchinjiru laid in front of the table. Shunko praising her father for remembering her favorite meal, pleasantries were exchanged. Hearing such, Isamu tried to smile, but failed. Even though the two were apart, he always remembered his daughter's favorite dishes.

Dabbing the chopsticks on the vegetables, the herbs hit Isamu's throat. When was the last time he had a vegetarian soup? He could not remember. It has been far too long since he had lived with okaasan to even recall what such dish tasted like. Carrots every single night was so tiresome.

But, as his meal was just about finishing up, Isamu remembered. The rabbit mochi. Right, the snack. How could he forget the most important part? He was a lousy older twin sister. Soup about to finish up, he could feel the canaries singing.

But, his father had soon come to his rescue. Otousan placing the rabbit mochi on the table, Shunko's eyes practically lit up on her face. Seven above, it had been so long since he had seen such look of childlike wonder on his twin sister's face.

"You made rabbit mochi for us?" Shunko asked, almost crying.

"Just like you asked," Isamu responded. But, he swore he could hear Shunko sniveling.

"I'm so glad you remembered, nee-san," Shunko responded. "I really missed the days we'd eat mochi together."

Eating the rabbit mochi like old times, another suggestion like old times had come his way. Bathing together like children Isamu again tried to smile. When was the last time the two of them washed one another's back? He did not remember. But, he supposed it didn't matter. Laying down a double futon as late evening rolled around, Shunko prepared one last thing as the two readied to sleep.

"When everything calms down in Inazuma, let's live together and start a sweets stall somewhere," Shunko said sleepily.

Hearing such a suggestion, Isamu once again tried to smile. A sweets shop together? Maybe that didn't sound so bad. He heard a rumour that the Shogun adored sweets. Maybe having such goals would make life less monotonous.

"Sure," Isamu responded, ready to nod off.

"Let's work towards it, then!" Shunko said, yawning.

Twin sister sound asleep, Isamu laid down on the pillow beside her. A sweets stall in Inazuma? Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea for the future. Tomorrow, maybe the two of them could bake sweets together like the old days. Feeling himself about to fall asleep, a smile finally formed on his lips.

Life was about to get less boring.

So, this short story is based off an illustration I drew of Isamu holding snow rabbit mochi & took basis of my floating idea of him reuniting with his twin sister, and this is the result. Comments on this are appreciated. I'm not used to writing pieces less than 10,000 words.

To see the illustration this fic is based on, here.

Last edited:
    Back