• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Racism - your thoughts about it.

Ruto

Heiress to the Zora throne.
    Years
    I feel the term 'Racism' is in itself racist. What better way to bring up the fact that we are in fact different races, and spurring all this drama, then coining a term that makes everyone notice that we are in fact different races? It has the reverse psychology "Don't think of kittens" "Crap, now I'm thinking about kittens." effect.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I feel the term 'Racism' is in itself racist. What better way to bring up the fact that we are in fact different races, and spurring all this drama, then coining a term that makes everyone notice that we are in fact different races? It has the reverse psychology "Don't think of kittens" "Crap, now I'm thinking about kittens." effect.

That's why I say we only have one race, the human race. :P

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Homosexuals are the new African-Americans, you dig?

Actually, it seems that society is treating homophobia like it treats racism. If you're homophobic, you're Chaotic Evil.

With OOOOOONE difference...

All Christians are homophobic. Therefore, all Christians are Chaotic Evil.

Because misquoting the Bible makes your point valid.

I'm going to quote myself here, because I missed the response to my post a while back.

I was being... sarcastic. You'll never see me use the words "Chaotic Evil" in a real argument.

Also, I'm Catholic. Without us Catholics, there would be no (offshoots of) Christianity.

The following is NOT directed at anyone in this thread, besides the first "You." It's more of a general statement to everybody.

Additionally, because you pointed out the Inquisition, witch burnings, and (mutual) hatred of Muslims...

1. Catholicism is too often used as a political tool. Anyone that looks up the Inquisition would see that Ferdinand shamelessly used Catholicism to pacify the people.

2. The same. Except for the Puritans were fun-killing jerkfaces. If you learn European history, you'd know that most Christians are totally different. For example, our bishops could throw mad parties. We were too busy partying to burn witches.

3. Muslims in the Middle Ages... get me not started. Political manipulation of religion, fanaticism, and hatred on both sides. Bad feelings all around. Much advancing for Europe.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Homosexuals are the new African-Americans, you dig?

Dude, Shanghai, can you believe some people actually say this sort of thing except they're serious?
    It makes me rage so hard...

Look on the bright side. As racism is slowly becoming less common (although I agree it will never die) homophobia is becoming more common! Yay!

:|

Racism fell at about mach 5.
    Homophobia has risen at maybe... the speed of your average car? Give or take?

At least there are significant differences between a straight and gay person, whereas there is nothing worth noting different between two different races.

So... what are you complaining about again?

Exactly. The fact that everyone needs to create this separation is just absurd...

I hope you also realize that this is one of the very few forms of discrimination where it's this simple. Because a lot of people don't and it weakens my faith in humanity. =<

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    The largest difference between "homophobia" (a misleading name) and racism is that homosexuals aren't being blasted with firehoses and lynched in the streets.

Don't get me wrong, bigotry in any form is a problem, and "homophobia" (there it is again) ticks me off, but it's nowhere near the problem that racism against blacks was. That comparison is doing more harm to the movement than it is good.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Exactly. The fact that everyone needs to create this separation is just absurd...

that kind of goes hand in hand with pretending you're colorblind. to discriminate is to recognize the difference between one thing and another, and it's a natural aspect of humanity. we create certain illusions in our mind to help us cope with reality-- like discriminating between right and wrong, discriminating males from females, etc. its not really a "bad" thing until humanity makes it a bad thing (i.e. imposing on the civil rights of a group, hate crimes, dismissing an individual because of a stereotype against his ethnicity/gender/whatever etc.)

PKMNTrainer Yellow said:

At least there are significant differences between a straight and gay person, whereas there is nothing worth noting different between two different races.

you're right, nothing really worth noting. it's still in our nature to find things to separate ourselves from each other. so in my eyes racism kinda just lingers in the air, and i think society's reached a point where we can laugh about it instead of worry about it.

Last edited:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    In England we don't judge people because of the colour of their skin.

Only by accent and neighbourhood.
    Excuse me, I'm off to laugh at some chavs.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I think the less we keep talking about races and racism, the less of it we will see. This includes things like having a Black History Month without having a White one (why not just incorporate black history into the curriculum better -- why do you have to recognize it on its own?), having Black Student Alliance at many colleges, but no White Student Alliance, etc.

Affirmative action also is just racism in reverse. If a black person and a white person are applying for the same job, and the white person happens to be more qualified than the black person, but this company doesn't have enough black people working for them, according to the government, why should they hire someone that might not perform as well? Hiring should have nothing to do with race.

For those of you saying that many black people might live in a lower economic bracket than many white people, okay, but then we should go by economic bracket, not race, since there are also white people living in that same lower economic bracket that might have a harder time catching a break since people just view them as "white trash" instead of an opportunity to increase their minority count at their businesses.

Blacks (and all other races) are people just like the rest of us and should be treated the same and given the same (not better) opportunities as the rest of us. Stop treating it as an issue and eventually it should go away, I think.

Back