• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Raikou

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
Years
  • What I did, was caught a Gastly at level 4 and trained it up to level 29.
    I camped at the Lake of Rage going down to the route below and checking my Pokegear everytime.

When either dog appeared I would
    - Mean Lock
    - Hypnosis

- Ultra Ball.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Well, I was training my Gastly that I caught at Sprout Tower and it was level 7. I ran into a wild Entei, it fled and afterwards I talked to my Gastly and it was surprised. I take a few more steps to find another Wild Pokemon to fight and Raikou pops up. I'm sure my Gastly had a Heart Attack. It fled and I went to the Pokemon Center to heal because I needed to do so, when I came back to the Route Raikou appeared again. Now my Gastly hates me.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I purposely chased down Raikou, and I used my MasterBall. I felt bad about it afterward, but after reading this thread, I just feel stupid. ._.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I was looking around for strategies on how to catch these two, and it was taking me forever. I had a pokemon with "Mean Look," but it wasn't the same one that had "False Swipe" or any of the "Spore" moves. So I could trap them for a turn, but then they would use "Roar" and end the battle anyway.

Then I had a moment of inspiration.

I sent out my Toys R Us Arceus and caught them with Level Balls. There is a difference of 60 levels, so the catch rate skyrocketed. What strategies did you guys use?

Actually, the catch rate depends on your level as a ratio to theirs, not by number.

Also, guys, Roar has -1 priority, so it'll hit after a normal move.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    My plan for Entei and Raikou later in the game is to catch a Diglett with Arena Trap and train it to a level 40 Dugtrio.

chillxd

メインモシ
    Years
  • No, Level Ball works best when [(your level) / 4] > (target's level.) If that's the case, then Level Ball would have a Multiplier of 4, used for calculating the Capture Probability.

In this case, since the above statement is FALSE, then we move on to the next statement, [(your level) / 2] > (target's level.) Since this is true, in this case, Level Ball has a multiplier of 2, exactly the same as using an Ultra Ball.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2010
    I haven't encountered any of the dogs yet, but I'm still planning on getting them the hard way.

If all else fails I'll try the quick ball for sure.

Years
  • No, Level Ball works best when [(your level) / 4] > (target's level.) If that's the case, then Level Ball would have a Multiplier of 4, used for calculating the Capture Probability.

In this case, since the above statement is FALSE, then we move on to the next statement, [(your level) / 2] > (target's level.) Since this is true, in this case, Level Ball has a multiplier of 2, exactly the same as using an Ultra Ball.

Ah, that makes sense. So I essentially caught them with Ultra Balls then? Except that Level balls are WAY cooler looking than Ultra Balls. :)

Years
  • I've got both Entei and Raikou down to the redzone, now I'm just chucking whatever I have in my inventory. But the level ball idea is good. I'll try it with my Ampharos.

Black Dunsparce

Black is better!
    Years
  • I've been trying to catch both of the legendary Pokemon...and haven't had much luck. I got Raikou down to red HP and he is paralyzed and I' am slowly draining Entei down to low HP with my Ampharos using Signal Beam (who is at lv. 59) and is paralyzed. I also been using Quick/Ultra Balls but I need to get me some Fast Balls (White Apricorns from Kurt).
    I've been doing this though to make them appear:
    I run up and down between Goldenrod City and below. After running up and back down, I check my PokeGear Map to see where they are. Usually, sooner of later, one of them will appear where I' am. I find this a heck of a lot easier than just Flying after them and hoping that where I land they will be there.
    Sometimes, I will see Raikou in my area on my Map and than go into the grass to catch it... I would than run into other wild Pokemon (use a Repel to dispel this pestful situation). So I check my map and WOW-AND-BEHOLD! Raikou had run off to the other side of the Map, which is obnoxious. I have been running into Raikou a lot more than Entei and have only run into Entei twice, Raikou about four times in the last hour.
    So yeah, I suggest that method that I'm using. It's easier, quicker and I strongly suggest you load up with Fast Balls/Heavy Balls/Ultra Balls/Quick Balls/Time Balls, and get a Pokemon that either knows one of these three moves:
    Mean Look (Ghastly), Arena Trap (Diglett), and Hypnosis (Hypno).

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Sit in Ecruteak and look for it, you can access most Routes in Johto easily from there. I've chased them both around down to low health before.

I've just figured out a brilliant plan, except I'd need a Mean Look + Baton Pass pokemon, and I don't know of any.

Because an Event Arceus and Level Balls one a low health Sleeping/Paralyzed Raikou/Entei would be a brilliant combination. However, obviously I'd have to not use Repels.

SkySage2k9

Skymin Sage / Greeter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2012
    I've met 'em but haven't really tried the quick ball strat yet X3

^.hydro

Missingno's Homie
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    Pokemon that either knows one of these three moves:
    Mean Look (Ghastly), Arena Trap (Diglett), and Hypnosis (Hypno).

[X] -
    [/] - (Arena Trap is an Ab. not a move)
    [ ] - They can still run if they are asleep

Once you got them down to Red and Plzd Use your highest Lv. Pokemon and then Chuck Ultra Balls at them

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Well when I released them I didnt even bother to go and look for them. But I did happen to run into Entei while I was training, and the weird thing is I ran into it when I was surfing! e.o that was my WTF moment. I just used a quick ball but no luck. Then later on after my first run through the E4 I transferred over my masterballs from emerald and caught the 2 remaining dogs. (it was hard to chase them down though)

Manga

Manga Lover~
    Years
  • Yeah.

It's called [Name] Ball + Luck. But,It happened to me with my Entei.So,I guess I can consider myself lucky too.

Back