• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rain Team VGC

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2014
    This is an attempt at a rain team for VGC, although it is my first. Please feel free to weigh in however you see fit and especially to areas where I have multiple / options because I could not decide. Also do I have too many Mons with Protect?

Politoad
    Drizzle/Calm/Damp Rock/Wacan Berry
    252 Hp/208 SpD/48SpA
    Surf/Scald
    Ice Beam
    Psychic
    Protect

Ludicolo
    Swift Swim/Timid/Leftovers
    252Spd/252 SpA/4Hp
    Scald
    Giga Drain
    Ice Beam
    Protect

Jolteon
    Volt Absorb/Timid/Electric Gem/Focus Sash
    252 SPd/252SpA/4Hp
    Thunder
    Hidden Power Ice
    Thunder Wave/ Signal Beam/Volt Switch
    Protect

Mega Scizor
    Technician/Adamant/Occa Berry
    252 Hp/252Atk/4SPd
    Bullet Punch
    Roost/Brick Break
    X-Scissor/U-Turn-(to replace bug bite. any other options?)
    Protect

Rotom-W
    Levitate/Modest/Sitrus
    252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spd
    Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    HP Fire/Signal Beam
    Protect

Dragonite
    Multiscale/Modest/Dragon Gem
    204 Hp/252SpA/52Spd
    Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse-(which would be better?)
    Hurricane
    Flamethrower
    Protect

Toxicroak-Route 7
    Dry Skin/Black Sludge/Adamant
    252HP/252Atk/4 SPe
    Fake Out-Egg
    Drain Punch
    Sucker Punch
    Substitute

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    VGC/Doubles isn't something I'm terribly knowledgeable about, but there are a few little things I can point out to you.

1) You probably want Damp Rock on Politoed to keep the rain going longer, since this is a Rain team.
    2) Since VGC is based on X/Y now, the only gem item you can use is Normal Gem, since that's the only one that can be found in X/Y. So Jolteon and Dragonite can't use Electric/Dragon gems. Throw Choice Specs on Jolteon; fast and powerful Thunder spams in the rain is what it does best.
    3) Mega Scizor can't hold an Occa Berry, since it has to hold its mega stone in order to mega evolve. Regular Scizor can hold the berry though.

And Protect is a very common move in Doubles/VGC; most teams have several pokes with Protect as one of their moves.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • This is an attempt at a rain team for VGC, although it is my first. Please feel free to weigh in however you see fit and especially to areas where I have multiple / options because I could not decide. Also do I have too many Mons with Protect?

Politoad
    Drizzle / Calm / Damp Rock
    252 Hp/208 SpD/48SpA
    Surf/Scald
    Ice Beam
    Encore
    Protect

Damp Rock is very beneficial to a rain team, and Encore lets you lock opponents into moves that disrupt their strategy - such as Protect. On Politoed it's nice for locking slower opponents like Gourgeist (a huge threat to rain teams) into something like Protect, WoW or Leech Seed.

Ludicolo
    Swift Swim/ Modest / Life Orb
    252Spd/252 SpA/4Hp
    Scald
    Giga Drain
    Ice Beam
    Protect

Ludicolo really needs a Life Orb and a Modest nature to reallt take advantage of its doubled speed.

Jolteon
    Volt Absorb/Timid/Electric Gem/Focus Sash
    252 SPd/252SpA/4Hp
    Thunder
    Hidden Power Ice
    Thunder Wave/ Signal Beam/Volt Switch
    Protect

Jolteon is very predictable and offers no utility. I'd recommend replacing it with Raichu or MegaManectric. Raichu offers Lightning Rod support, Fake Out, and Encore. MegaManectric boasts higher stats all around and has Lightning Rod and Intimidate support and has fire-type coverage.

Scizor
    Technician/Adamant/Lum Berry
    252 Hp/252Atk/4SPd
    Bullet Punch
    Swords Dance
    X-Scissor
    Protect

Scizors advantage over other steel-types in VGC is that it can easily setup a Sword's Dance and then put out offensive pressure. Lum Berry lets you absorb status moves making it easier to setup SD in more situations.

Rotom-W
    Levitate/Modest/Safety Goggles
    252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spd
    Hydro Pump
    Thunderbolt
    Will-O-Wisp
    Protect

Signal Beam is illegal at the moment and HP Fire isn't that helpful. WoW gives you fantastic burn support. Safety Goggles allows you to ignore Rage Powder so that Amoonguss cannot redirect your burns and attacks. It also makes you immune to Sleep Powder and Spore, which is incredible. Not taking sandstorm damage is also nice. n_n

Dragonite
    Multiscale/Modest/Weakness Policy
    204 Hp/252SpA/52Spd
    Draco Meteor
    Hurricane
    Extremespeed
    Protect

Extremespeed is too good to pass up, and so is Multiscale + Weakness Policy. Since you have Hurricane, you'll probably only be using Dragonite when you can guarantee that rain will be up, so Flamethrower isn't necessary.

Toxicroak-Route 7
    Dry Skin/Black Sludge/Adamant
    252HP/252Atk/4 SPe
    Fake Out-Egg
    Drain Punch
    Sucker Punch
    Substitute

Toxicroak isn't good at all. It's stats are too low and it's reliance on rain over-centralizes your team. n_n Based on your coverage needs I would replace it with a scarfed Mamoswine. Jolly Mamoswine outspeeds MegaManectric whom is a threat to rain teams.

I made my suggestions in bold, let me know if you need more help / want some other suggestions. ^_^

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2014
    Sadly, I do not have a dratini from HG/SS to breed Ex-Speed so I would need another suggestion in that respect. My big concern is my EV spreads is there something I could do to improve them.

Back