• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rainecho's Sandstorm Team

Rainecho

-Music is My Life-
Years
  • Hello and welcome to my discussion thread. Here I'll share with you my Sandstorm Team which I recently made, hoping to receive help on getting better. This is not my first team made, but I have never experienced fighting a competitive team. Before we even start I would like to thank you for using your precious time on my thread.

Sandstorm Team Introduction
    Let me introduce you my sandstorm team. This sandstorm team is based on flinching, critical hitting and tricking. Our team members will be Hippowdon, Rampardos, Skarmory, Nidoking, Bisharp and Kabutops.
    The main goal is to mess with the opponent's team. It'll be sure a great team against Rain Dance Teams, but not that good versus Sunny Day Teams. Take note that Sandstorm is tricky and as far as I know it doesn't power up any move, but just deal damage which is totally different than weather teams. Sandstorm Teams are quite rare and I think they are good to try.

Team Members and Plans

Hippowdon
    Abillity: Sand Stream
    Item: Leftovers
    Stats: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp.Def
    Moveset:
    Bulldoze
    Rest
    Toxic
    Yawn

Hippowdon is the sandstorm bringer. Toxic is here to mess with, Yawn to force leaving and may result in breaking plans. Rest will be used to get HP back and Bulldoze to lower opponent's speed and then strike with another party Pokemon.

Rampardos
    Abillity: Mold Breaker
    Stats: 252 HP/4 Atk./252 Spe
    Moveset:
    Zen Headbutt
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Substitute

And then we have this crazy Rampardos. I always liked it for its TM randomness and I guess it's here where I put it in battle. Zen Headbutt to flinch and mess with other Rock types, Ice Beam for any Grass or Flying and Thunderbolt for Water. Then we have Substitute which is going to help if someone is preparing a sweep.

Skarmory
    Abillity: Weak Armor
    Stats: 252 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/4 Def
    Moveset:
    Spikes
    Steel Wing
    Guard Swap
    Air Slash

And we have a special Skarmory. We have Spikes which are probably going to be used after Hippowdon. Pay attention to the abillity: Weak Armor. Weak Armor will lower its Defence and rise its Speed if it's attacked. And this is where Steel Wing and Guard Swap is based. Steel Wing will sure get the Defence back, but in-case of any dangerous, sweeping or just dealing some serious damage. Then just for the flinch we have Air Slash.

Nidoking
    Abillity: Poison Point
    Item: Life Orb
    Stats: 252 Atk/252 Sp.Def/4 Spe
    Moveset:
    Poison Jab
    Venoshock
    Brick Break
    Roar

Okay. Nidoking has Poison Point and that's the reason why I haven't gave it Def EV stat.
    Poison Jab will try to give Poison and Venoshock will be doubled if so. Then we have Brick Break, one of my favorite moves. It will completely destroy any...rare Reflect/Screen users or just the common Blisseys. Then,we have Roar a really terrifying and...trolling move. >_>

Bisharp
    Abillity: Pressure
    Stats: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
    Moveset:
    Swords Dance
    Night Slash
    Iron Head
    Taunt

Bisharp is for the Psychic types. It will sure trick any other type losing double PP each turn (Pressure...). Got some defence stats in case of Fighting Pokemon. Swords Dance, I don't usually have time to sweep so I never did a successful one, but I'll try. Night Slash is going to be our crit split! Then Iron Head to flinch and wynaut using Taunt to mess with weak non-effective hitting foes? Like Blisseys for example. (Yes I hate Blisseys. -3-)

Kabutops
    Abillity: Battle Armor
    Stats: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Sp.Atk
    Moveset:
    Hidden Power (Grass)
    Night Slash
    Ancient Power
    Smack Down

And our last and final member, Kabutops! Its abillity is Battle Armor which means full protection from random annoying critical hits! And that's why we have Night Slash, to crit them back! Then, Ancient Power to get stats and Smack Down for any Bouncing,Flying or Levitating Pokemon.

Epilogue
    So, this is my sandstorm team. I haven't made it already, so I am open for any suggestions and changes that you have. I'll post any changes I make to my team to keep you tuned on the look of it. Of course, full credit to the main idea giver etc. You may also post any mistakes I made or any improvements I have to do. Now, I would like to thank you again for your time spent on this. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Just saying, not everything in a Sand team has to be Rock, Ground or Steel. This stacks up weaknesses to Water, Grass, Ground and Fighting moves and these are relatively common in OU.

Even though Bulldoze's side effect comes in handy at times, its low base power makes it not worth using. Also, Hippowdon learns Slack Off as a reliable means of recovery, so there's ABSOLUTELY no need to bother with Rest, which leaves Hippowdon as a sitting duck for two turns:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Slack Off
    -Ice Fang/Toxic
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Sand Stream

Rampardos is terrible in OU. Despite the Special Defense boost it gains in Sandstorm, its low Speed, low defenses and many common weaknesses hinder it on the battlefield. Lack of STAB hurts here as well. Terrakion has the base Speed to abuse its high Attack with (though it's weaker than Rampardos):
    -Stone Edge
    -Close Combat
    -X-Scissor
    -Sacred Sword/Rock Slide/Quick Attack
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Rock Polish
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

or
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    Item: Life Orb/Rock Gem/Salac Berry

Weak Armor wastes away Skarmory's defensive capabilities. While you can transfer the Defense drops with Guard Swap, Skarmory isn't fast enough to do so, even after some Weak Armor boosts with your current spread. Air Slash works off of Skarmory's weak Special Attack, so don't even bother with it. Please stick to Skarmory's MAIN strength, which is to act as a physical roadblock, or as a suicide hazard setter in conjunction with Custap Berry:
    -Spikes
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Taunt
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Sturdy

or
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt
    -Brave Bird
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Custap Berry
    Ability: Sturdy

*sigh* Nidoking gained Sheer Force in the Dream World. It SHOULD take advantage of the ability whenever possible, as it makes it more powerful than it already is. Venoshock is too situational and you're not likely to poison anything with Poison Point before Nidoking goes down. Also, Nidoking isn't that good in OU because its average Speed holds it back. Garchomp provides the power and Speed that this team needs alongside Terrakion:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Swords Dance
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    Item: Rocky Helmet/Focus Sash

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Aqua Tail/Fire Fang
    Item: Yache Berry/Lum Berry

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast/Stone Edge
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Aqua Tail
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop

Bisharp is viable in OU, but it needs more support than you currently have to work effectively. In its place, I'd suggest something like Alakazam or Reuniclus as both have the Magic Guard ability, which makes them immune to sandstorm:

Alakazam:
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Signal Beam/Shadow Ball
    -Substitute/Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard

Reuniclus:
    -Trick Room
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 192 HP/64 Def/252 SAtk
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Calm Mind
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Recover
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Kabutops' Special Attack is mediocre, so this takes Hidden Power and AncientPower out of the equation. Smack Down is way too situational, and you're better off hitting Fliers and Levitators with Stone Edge anyways. Night Slash is situational as well. It should stick to Rapid Spinning, but this is done better by Starmie, due to its excellent coverage and high Speed. In case you didn't know, Rapid Spin clears your field of entry hazards and Leech Seed, and this is very useful:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunderbolt/Psyshock
    -Rapid Spin
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Scald
    -Rapid Spin
    -Psyshock/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/32 Def/4 SAtk/224 Spe
    Ability: Natural Cure

If you want to keep Kabutops, be my guest, but please change up the moves:
    -Stone Edge
    -Aqua Jet
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance/Low Kick
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Weak Armor/Swift Swim
    (Stone Edge is your main STAB attack, despite the shaky accuracy. Aqua Jet allows Kabutops to pick off weakened opponents. I already explained Rapid Spin. Last slot goes to either Swords Dance, which cranks up Kabutops' power further, or Low Kick, to hit Ferrothorn and other heavy Steels hard)

Other options to help deal with the weaknesses I mentioned include Celebi and Latias. They resist those moves:

Celebi:
    -Giga Drain/Psychic
    -Recover
    -Baton Pass/U-turn
    -Perish Song/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/236 SDef/20 Spe

or
    -Leaf Storm
    -Earth Power/Psychic/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Thunder Wave/U-turn
    -Recover
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 60 HP/252 SAtk/196 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Giga Drain
    -Earth Power/Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Psychic/Recover/Hidden Power (Ice)
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe