• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Ravenide's Artworks

Ravenide

The Arting Starvist
Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2016
    Hi there! I make Pokemon Trainers in the XY and ORAS style. I hope you guys can check them out and let me know what you think. Currently, I've only seen 2-4 people doing this sort of thing all around the internet. Of course, I have other digital art styles, but I'm choosing to show off my XY and ORAS trainers for now. :)

The spoiler tag has ALL my trainer art so far since I started experimenting with Pokemon Master Grey. As the list goes down, the art becomes more and more recent. I think I've been doing this thing for... 5 months now?

Spoiler:

Did you make it through? Haha! How's the art?

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • OMG, they are awesome!!!! You surely have talent to this!
    I'm horrible doing that kind of stuff but I really appreciate seeing it!
    Good Job!

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • your artwork is perfect! they really do look like real life trainers ^_^ do you take commissions? anyways, i love the artwork. i would just be careful when adding a drop shadow because you don't want to make it too heavy to make the art look pixely and blurry. keep posting!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Saw some of these on your DA page. Man, this is awesome. Some of the best custom, Sugimori style trainer busts I've seen in a while. Keep up the awesome work. o/

Years
  • These are pretty good! You've got such a large collection under your belt!
    (but friend it's not 2-4 there are 100s of people who draw things in sugimori style)

You said as the list goes down it's more recent? Is it not in reverse?

I say that because the majority of ones I find the strongest come from the first ones posted. If those are your older ones, you might want to take a reflection back to them and see what makes them the most successful.

These are the ones I feel are stronger.
    pokemon_trainer_olivia_by_ravenide-d8f5kz4.png
    pokemon_trainer_valzion_by_ravenide-d8f5b7j.png
    pokemon_master_keith_by_ravenide-d8ewms6.png
    pokemon_master_grey_by_ravenide-d8etdew.png
    pokemon_trainer_val_by_ravenide-d8j1ava.png
    pokemon_trainer_luke_by_ravenide-d8mtjd8.png
    pokemon_trainer_sohrob_by_ravenide-d8zz6uh.png

These are the ones I feel are weaker.
    human_snag_machine_robin_by_ravenide-d8lhucv.png
    pokemon_trainer_fay_by_ravenide-d8mjwuo.png
    pokemon_trainer_licia_by_ravenide-d8oc6qy.png
    pokemon_trainer_noxte_by_ravenide-d8oc6tm.pn
    pokemon_trainer_nick_by_ravenide-d8oc707.png
    pokemon_trainer_mars_by_ravenide-d8s8giw.png
    pokemon_coordinator_may__2__by_ravenide-d8yjh8q.png
    pokemon_trainer_tatsu_by_ravenide-d91ltwv.png

See the difference?
    But yea, if you actually meant the top most were most recent, congrats on your progression! It's getting great and you're really capturing the sugimori charm! If the bottom ones ARE your most recent... Some are really not as successful! I'll explain more in depth if you clear up the ordering for me.

Years
  • These are pretty neat!

I'd love to see something free drawn from you, though. I guess that's just my curiosity kicking in. I'd say a lot of the characters have really neat fashion sense and design - I would just be careful with your shading techniques if you're trying to go for a Ken Sugimori style. I think most of your work look like Yusuke Ohmura though (I talked a little bit about his style in one of the spoiler tags below!) - but it's still looking like official Pokemon artwork.

I agree with Lornami on the comparison of your strongest and weakest works. The strongest pieces are blended well together and have some better brush strokes that aren't as harsh as the weaker pieces. I also can't tell if you meant the order was from oldest to recent or the other way around? I checked your DA gallery and it seems like yes the top is the oldest work. Anyway, I waned to talk about some of the recent pieces then!
    For example
    pokemon_trainer_fay_by_ravenide-d8mjwuo.png

It's not bad, but the shading could have been tackled a little differently.
    First; gotta expand the hue range
    72adabe1c8.png

Wether you're going for Yusuke or Sugimori style: they have some variety of hues and values.
    Comparing that to your first piece:
    d48325221f.png

You get slightly different hues AND values.
    So, I compared the hair value and hues to Ken and Yusuke so you can check out the difference (and you can see how they shade)
    Spoiler:

So you get an idea of their styles! I took one of your recent works and made some notes.
    Spoiler:

Pretty much what I'm saying in my pile of messy writing is:
    • Try different hue ranges
    • Try less harsh shading
    • Leave subtle hints of light
    • Play around not only with huse but with your value range!

BUT I GUESS EITHER STYLE YOU'RE GOING FOR: it's close to "official" looking artwork. ouo Just keep note of your values, different hues, and try maybe a softer brush when shading? I hope i was somewhat helpful!​

Ravenide

The Arting Starvist
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2016
    Hey guys. Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from a seven day trip from Japan. (It was hot)

Kingdenas - Hey! Thank you for the kind words!

xxkaylabby - I've actually been doing commissions on dA for 800 points / $5 each. Yeah, I only recently deciden on a shadow radius of 3.0. In the older sprites, it was just a random gaussian blur. xD

Fairy - Hi! Thank you so much for the compliment! I've actually seen your dA page as well and I'm blown away!

Lornami - Hey! Your name is familiar. Haha! Anyway, I didn't mean that there were only 2-4 artists doing sugimori style, I meant doing the... XY/ORAS trainer sprite things. They're TECHNICALLY cropped sugimori style trainers, so you do have a point. I believe the whole reason why the older sprites blend with the style much more is that I basically fused existing sprites without drawing much stuff from scratch. (You can tell Pokemon Master Grey is basically an ace trainer haha) I shall practice more!

Bacteriophage - Haha, I'm far from being good enough to give advice! Anatomy is and will always be a pain in the butt. I use Photoshop. :)

Anastasia - DAAAAMN! I have never gotten such an in-depth critique such as this! First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write this out! This is the first time I've actually noticed how much different hues affect shading, so thank you! It's an eye-opener and I hope I can do it on future works! This is the kind of stuff I wanted them to teach me in art school, but alas, we had "general" art things instead. Thanks so much, I will put all your advice on a sticky note! :D

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    Wow, they look almost like they could come from a game!

Back