• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Razzy's Guide to a Successful Website

Razzy

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    Alright so I made this cheesy little guide to creating a successful Pokemon website. Comments and questions can be answered through AIM at: PokeDailyRazz

Now many of you may not know that a website is not only about how popular it is. It is about the heart and soul you put into it. Basically I go by this rule when making any website: the more effort = the more rewards. So, where do we begin? Well, first of all comes the website design.

1. Website Design
    Any website that wants to be sucessfull must have a clean, organized, and fun layout. The design is what makes the first impression on the visitor. But it's not always easy to create it yourself. Many free designs are avaliable around the internet and are easily customizable to fit your desires. If a design is cluttered with hundreds of images and off-topic things, the design becomes to unorganized and messy. From my experience, people hate cluttered and messy designs. Easily navigated designs are the best for people trying to find what they want to find. Try to make your design have a
    nice, clean, easily acessable design that is pleasing to the eye. There is nothing more annoying then seeing bright yellow and hot pink in the same design. Pick colors that go together well. Contrasting colors are okay sometimes, but not in large quantities as they hurt people's eyes and tend to turn them off no matter what the quality of your content is. I personally always use greys, blues, and soft basic colors for any peice of work that I do. Greys go well with ANY color. It does not matter which color it is, grey will work with it. So use that to your advantage. Remember what I ALWAYS say: More effort means more rewards!

2. Content and Information
    Now, once you have a nice clean, and organized design, you are ready to incorporate content to it. The content is what keeps the visitors at your site and not at someone else's. Include pictures with content as often as you can because a visual and textual (is textual even a word..? lmao) references keep the visitor happy, and the point your trying to make in your content is clearly shown and prooved. Remember, stealing is a nono. It is absolutly ESSENTIAL that you do not steal sources from other websites, as that is an infringement of copyright law. If your are to lazy to write your own content, borrowing is fine as long as credit is placed. Stealing content will only lead to troubles down the road and won't bring you a successful website (Believe me I have had experience with this one... :chinese:). Make sure your content is free of spelling mistakes and gramatical errors because those can hinder your readers into doing something else. Try to include as much information as you can find because the difference between someone finding content on your site and someone else's will be the length and avaliability of it. ALWAYS remember: More effort = more rewards!

3. Features and Interactivity
    Having site features and interactives is a great.. no, not great, AMAZING way to keep visitors at your website and for them to keep coming back. Now, exactly what those features may be is up to you, but some examples are polls, guest book, online games, music, and pictures. This is also a great way to involve your visitors and your website. Always, always have atleast something for your visitors to do other then read content. And remember what I have said 3 times now? More effort = more rewards.

Now that's pretty much what my 7 year experience in websites has led me to belive will make a successful website. If you have any questions or comments about more information on making a successful website, please contact me on AIM at: PokeDailyRazz
    That's all for now! And remember for the fourth time: MORE EFFORT = MORE REWARDS. :P Cya!

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Wow, this is the first guide I've seen in a long time that I don't completely disagree with! Good job~ If I was still a mod, I'd sticky this, so get Gary to do it or something~ Or post it in the Tech Institute, that's possible too ^^;

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    I just added my comments in bold.

Razzy said:
    Alright so I made this cheesy little guide to creating a successful Pokemon website. Comments and questions can be answered through AIM at: PokeDailyRazz

Now many of you may not know that a website is not only about how popular it is. It is about the heart and soul you put into it. Basically I go by this rule when making any website: the more effort = the more rewards. So, where do we begin? Well, first of all comes the website design.

1. Website Design
    Any website that wants to be sucessfull must have a clean, organized, and fun layout. The design is what makes the first impression on the visitor. But it's not always easy to create it yourself. Many free designs are avaliable around the internet and are easily customizable to fit your desires. If a design is cluttered with hundreds of images and off-topic things, the design becomes to unorganized and messy. From my experience, people hate cluttered and messy designs. Easily navigated designs are the best for people trying to find what they want to find. Try to make your design have a nice, clean, easily acessable design that is pleasing to the eye. Very true. My website lost a lot of visitors over the time period that I used a rather subpar layout. Believe it or not, visitors are shallow. Layouts that really aren't pleasing to eye mean you have to make up for it in content and news, which is hard to do. Save yourself time and find a VERY nice looking layout. Saul makes nice ones. =3 There is nothing more annoying then seeing bright yellow and hot pink in the same design. Pick colors that go together well. Contrasting colors are okay sometimes, but not in large quantities as they hurt people's eyes and tend to turn them off no matter what the quality of your content is. I personally always use greys, blues, and soft basic colors for any peice of work that I do. Greys go well with ANY color. It does not matter which color it is, grey will work with it. IMO: becareful with dark colors. Soft greys are ok, but usually people aren't attracted to dark grey/black layouts. Cheerful colors are more pleasing to the eye. Blue seems to be best. So use that to your advantage. Remember what I ALWAYS say: More effort means more rewards!

2. Content and Information
    Now, once you have a nice clean, and organized design, you are ready to incorporate content to it. The content is what keeps the visitors at your site and not at someone else's. Include pictures with content as often as you can because a visual and textual (is textual even a word..? lmao) references keep the visitor happy, and the point your trying to make in your content is clearly shown and prooved. Remember, stealing is a nono. Totally agree. It is absolutly ESSENTIAL that you do not steal sources from other websites, as that is an infringement of copyright law. If your are to lazy to write your own content, borrowing is fine as long as credit is placed. Stealing content will only lead to troubles down the road and won't bring you a successful website (Believe me I have had experience with this one... :chinese:). Make sure your content is free of spelling mistakes and gramatical errors because those can hinder your readers into doing something else. Try to include as much information as you can find because the difference between someone finding content on your site and someone else's will be the length and avaliability of it. ALWAYS remember: More effort = more rewards! I have a bit to add to this section I guess. Frostweaver's taught me that you need UNIQUE content. Focus on something that other sites don't. Whether that's TCG or the metagame, or something non-pokemon for those type of sites, then write. Write and write and write, because as a premier site in a new field, it's a great opportunity to become popular! So try and focus on a section, but remember to keep your site balanced also. No one wants to go to a site and only be able to find lots of resources on ONE topic. It's a balance that will take time to perfect, but you get a lot more visitors because of it.

3. Features and Interactivity
    Having site features and interactives is a great.. no, not great, AMAZING way to keep visitors at your website and for them to keep coming back. Now, exactly what those features may be is up to you, but some examples are polls, guest book, online games, music, and pictures. This is also a great way to involve your visitors and your website. Always, always have atleast something for your visitors to do other then read content. And remember what I have said 3 times now? A good choice is the simple SayBox. Go to www.saybox.co.uk to get one =3 Also, there are a lot of free poll scripts and such. Flash games are fun if you're talented in that area. Just make sure taht your interactivitiy is compatible with 56K, otherwise half your visitors can't use something if it has huge loading times =/ More effort = more rewards.

Now that's pretty much what my 7 year experience in websites has led me to belive will make a successful website. If you have any questions or comments about more information on making a successful website, please contact me on AIM at: PokeDailyRazz
    That's all for now! And remember for the fourth time: MORE EFFORT = MORE REWARDS. :P Cya!

That slogan that Razzy had been using the whole time is very true. Your site will only be as popular as the time you put into it. Do you think Serebii made his overnight?! If you're not willing to invest your time, don't be a webmaster. Sites can fall into disrepair VERY quickly, as just not updating turns visitors away. Time is a key ingrediant to a popular website ^_~ In fact, I spent 3 hrs yesterday puttin up a new layout and my hits actually increased overnight >>; That was pretty weird, but really, it helps to put a ot of time into your site. It really shows when you do ^_~ If you'd like help, my AIM is CrobatBoy n.n

Last edited:

StarBurst

I > U = Old
    Years
    Yeah. That was a pretty guide. But these days, everyone seems to be putting one on their site, just to take up space or something I guess. xP

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    internet chaos said:
    You should probably also read my guide, it goes more indepth and points out common errors people do.
    Although it was longer, some points were just re-iterated more than they needed to be. It added a lot of length~

I like both guides, and think they both had pros and cons.

Razzy

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2006
    To sum it up all you have to do is 'sell' your website to your 'consumer', the ways to do that are:
    - be the first to try something new
    - be the first the exploit that new something
    - update the new thing frequently
    - repeat

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    I really like that style of web design. It's what everybody says, but it makes sense.

Also, razzy I love the banner linking to your top 12. How did you make it?

usami

biohazard
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Iowa
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    I really like that style of web design. It's what everybody says, but it makes sense.

Also, razzy I love the banner linking to your top 12. How did you make it?
    Please do not go offtopic. Plus, 'Razzy' is banned, therefore asking him a question in this thread wouldn't have much of a point.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2007
    It's ok, but some people really think they know best. I'd use it over Chaos', as he keeps saying he is "well known."
    Good guide. =)

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    uesful, but I think that with my multiple websites I really don't need this, I mean, sure maybe my deviant has only 339 pageviews [deviant is same as username here], but who cares. I have fun making them, and none the less, Deviantart is a simple design for people who want to showcase things for free.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    ...maybe desticky this? It's nothing special. >_>

Or if you want, I could copy and paste my PV thing that Paul for some reason still believes in.

Back