• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real pokemon guru

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Eh, what the heck, I'll keep goin. So, I think pokemon with the power to control the weather have the ability to control the water levels and movement along with wind levels and movement.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Well, all living things give off infrared radiation (a form of heat). Perhaps, when a pokemon uses Sunny day, they release a larger amount of it or something? For Rain Dance - they could possibly suck in or move the air around, to create areas of low pressure, leading to rain? That would take a little while, though...

Good question ;)

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    For Rain Dance, they probably just release water into the air to make the humidity rise until the Wet-bulb temperature is equal to the Dry-bulb temperature, which are the conditions for rain.

For Sunny Day the pokemon may do the opposite, and absorb moisture in the air so that clouds disappear and the sun is not blocked by anything.

Though it is a lot of moisture for one pokemon to release/absorb.

Sandstorm may just be Geokinesis, which is probably the basis for most rock moves, and Hail may be similar to Rain Dance, except also with Thermokinesis to make it cold, so the rain turns to hail.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Hm, let's see. Absorb I'd guess they take in a large amount of sunlight by enlarging their chloroplasts. Giga drain I would guess the pokemon exerts some sort of colorless odorless gas that weakens a pokemon's health and sustains the health of a pokemon. The pokemon, whom the gas has no effect to, uses a second harmless gas that attracts the first gas. The pokemon then takes a deep breathe in and the chmicals in its body (which is located in the upper portion of its body and the gas itself is stored in the lower portion and the lower body chemicals don't have any effect the the gas) convert the gas into more energy and health. So the other pokemon is not as healthy and weakened. This is fixed with potions and the Pokemon Center.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • I know the whole Porygon thing was answered a while ago, but here's my two-bits on it (being a Porygon Expert):

The reason why Porygon is tangible is due to the same matter to energy (or data if you prefer) conversions that are used in pokéballs. The programing code is basically Porygon's equivalent to DNA, and it controls the molecules around it in order to form Porygon's physical body, and also dictates Porygon's actions, emotions, intelligence, ect. This means that Porygon can't manifest itself straight from the virtual world into the "real" world in places with insufficient matter, such as vacuums.

Porygon seems to also have the ability to convert matter into the energy used to fuel it, though since it's artificial it doesn't necessarily need to eat.

Since Porygon's body is nothing more but it's corporeal form, Porygon is able to withstand many things that would be fatal to even powerful pokémon such as Mewtwo, as it's ethereal form (it's coding) cannot be harmed in the physical world, allowing it to completely regenerate it's entire body even if it's seemingly vaporized, so long as it has sufficient energy to do so (it's body is also very flexible despite it's appearance, as shown by Porygon2 when it's hit by an attack in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.)

In the virtual realm, however, Porygon is not quite as invulnrable. Although it's able to do many things it couldn't normally do outside it's cyber habitat (such as grow to massive preportions, fire powerful attacks and move at blinding speeds), it is here where it's also possible to destroy it's coding (think mirage pokémon).

Porygon seems to be able to exist outside of contact with Sliph Co., as suggested by Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, though how this is possible is currently unknown, though it might suggest that Porygon's coding is not dependent on Sliph Co. in order to function.

The reason why Porygon and Porygon2 can levitate but not fly is due to the fact that they are dependant on the electromagnetism of the planet in order to do so, which is why they can't "fly" in space.

...Hope this helps answer anyone's questions.

Also, some trivia on the creature:

• Porygon has extra hidden polygon faces in it's tail, allowing it to wag it to an extent. This is shown breifly in the anime and in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

• The back of Porygon's head was depicted as angled in the games until recently, where it's head was flat in the anime. This was fixed in generation IV.

• Porygon's limbs are completely detachable. In the 3D games, it can be seen thrusting it's head until it breaks off for a short period. It's fainting animation in Pokémon Stadiums 1 and 2 also depicted it shaking rapidly before falling apart. The seems to be referenced in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, where Porygon would say "System error. polygons are falling apart." if it's HP is in critical condition. Porygon2's body seems to be more stable, with it's tail and head being fully connected to it's body, though it's arms could be detached (which happens if Porygon2 is hit in any of the 3D games with an attack.)

• Porygon's index number in the National and R/B/G/Y regional Pokédex is 137, similar to the 1337, or leet. Whether or not this was a coincidence is unknown.

I've been holding that in for a looong time, you can tell. ;]

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Wow. That's a whole lot of Porygon.

Here's a question: It's safe to assume the Upgrade item simply upgrades Porygon's physical model and capabilities, but what exactly happens when Porygon2 becomes Porygon-Z by the use of the Dubious Disk? It apparently did not go as planned.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Thanks SRIHGH and ya I guess they would apply for absorb.

Niprop great explanation. very creative.

Moog I would assume it works the same Porygon2 just scans the info the disc contains and it evolves (or upgrades) into Porygon-Z

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I'm assuming that the Dubious disc is, for lack of a better term, a mod. It is probably Team R's attempt to try and 'hack into' porygon in an attempt to make it into an unbeatable fighting machine. Obviously, they've failed but by fiddling around with the code and what not, they have improved it somewhat.

Niprop

Years
  • Hehe, thanks. :]

Anyways, to answer mOOG's question, the Dubious Disk is basically a device to be installed into Porygon2. It was intended to not only make Porygon2 the most powerful pokémon in existence (similar to Mewtwo), but also allow it to work in foreign dimensions and travel in space. Porygon2's body wasn't capable of processing some of the said data properly (though the disk probably had some faulty programing in it to begin with), making it appear slightly odd (such as flipping Porygon's head upside-down, and glitching it's eyes, giving it an shocked expression and making it so that it appears as if it's always awake, even when resting).

Although Porygon-Z isn't quite as powerful as it's creators anticipasted, it still has a tremendous amount of power, paired with a cold, fearless, almost savage nature (also similar to Mewtwo), make it a force to be feared.

Last edited:

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Don't rejoice yet, my return is still tentative. I'm just in a good mood because... well, that's a separate matter.

If any question has come by that has not yet been satisfactorily answered, fire away.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    Any idea for the principle of Absorb, and the moves like it, as well as how normal Pokemon can use weather changing moves?

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Any idea for the principle of Absorb, and the moves like it, as well as how normal Pokemon can use weather changing moves?

The description for Absorb is "a nutrient-draining attack". It's also a non-contact move. Therefore it is possible that the Pokemon sends up microroots that painlessly pierce the opposing Pokemon's feet, and absorb the nutrients that way. As far as flying Pokemon and Levitate are concerned, the Colosseum games often portray these Pokemon as standing on the ground, and only Using their abilities to dodge incoming Ground attacks.

<<<IN PROGRESS>>>

==========================================================

Remember when Master Roshi used the Kamehameha wave in DragonBall? No? I feel old. Can you believe that no one in OVP knows who Snake Eyes is?

Anyway, as "supernatural" beings, Normal-type Pokemon generate a large amount of "life force/energy", more than any other Pokemon type except Dragon. This massive internal energy store a) can be fired in the form of a Hyper Beam, b) can be used to charge the muscles for powerful physical moves, and c) gives them resistance to the death-based Ghost moves.

Directing an energy pulse upward would burn a hole through the cloud layers, resulting in brighter-than-normal sunlight. Directing it outward would result in a massive condensation burst that would ultimately trigger rain.

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    We know that Mantines can come from eggs. We know that Mantykes come from eggs where the parents had some of this Incense influencing something. We know that Mantyke evolves with company from a Remoraid (a similar symbiotic relationship to Shellder and Slowpoke? then why isn't Remoraid part of it?). How, then, do you get Mantines from eggs without any Remoraid involved? Make sense? If you say the Remoraid must be with the parents, then I can say that there can be Remoraid-carrying parents also holding some Wave Incense. How come a Mantyke pops out and not a Mantine?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Ok, the relationship with the Remoraid only begins to affect the Mantyke after it's aged a little bit (read: leveled up)after hatching, due to chemical changes within the Mantyke's body(compare: puberty. XD), meaning that it hatches as a Mantyke and then evolves. Not really that confusing. It also may be that a Remoraid causes evolution not by it's presence, but by attaching itself to the Mantyke like we see on adult Mantine. Now, this is a bit annoying when I see a newly hatched Mantine which already has a Remoraid attached, but I'm getting tired and the only was I want to explain that right now is that it's only an in-game sprite. I'll likely edit or expand on this later.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    The description for Absorb is "a nutrient-draining attack". It's also a non-contact move. Therefore it is possible that the Pokemon sends up microroots that painlessly pierce the opposing Pokemon's feet, and absorb the nutrients that way. As far as flying Pokemon and Levitate are concerned, the Colosseum games often portray these Pokemon as standing on the ground, and only Using their abilities to dodge incoming Ground attacks.

That seems interesting, but I was thinking that Grass pokemon would be able to absorb nutrients through contact, or through using extensions of their body, like vines in most cases. For example Bulbasaur could grab an enemy with its vines, and small barbs on the vines would be able to pierce the enemy pokemon's skin and drain nutrients and energy from its bloodsteam.

Niprop

Years
  • That seems interesting, but I was thinking that Grass pokemon would be able to absorb nutrients through contact, or through using extensions of their body, like vines in most cases. For example Bulbasaur could grab an enemy with its vines, and small barbs on the vines would be able to pierce the enemy pokemon's skin and drain nutrients and energy from its bloodsteam.

I see a huge flaw here:

Registeel's Pokédex entry:

Registeel has a body that is harder then any metal. Its body is apparently hollow.
    Shedinja's Pokédex Entry:

Shedinja's hard body doesn't move - not even a twitch. In fact, it's body appears to be merely a hollow shell.
    Beldum's Entry:

Instead of blood, a powerful magnetic force courses throughout Beldum's body.

Last edited:

Kylix

¬ L_¬
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2009
    This was probabbly asked before, but um how is it possible for a pokemon not to get killed after receiving such beat ups, or is it becuase they were born for that?

Years
  • come up with a new question: If pokemon can be taken into balls, I mean, on the common basis of biological mechanics, then human being could also be captured? (since i suppose that pokemon and human are both consisted of cells at least)

Back