• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real pokemon guru

Yams

Polursaring!
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    A Pokemon is any being capable of using moves.

This is what I am responding too, In my opinion Magikarp is a Pokemon, and Humans aren't, but what I am saying is that a "being capable of using moves" is not what defines a Pokemon as a Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    This is what I am responding too, In my opinion Magikarp is a Pokemon, and Humans aren't, but what I am saying is that a "being capable of using moves" is not what defines a Pokemon as a Pokemon.
    You don't seem to understand what "moves" are. A Rattata can use Scratch. A human can scratch... The former can deliver its claws into another being so forcefully that it leaves an energy-signature. A human can scratch an itch. There's a definite difference, even when there's human analogues.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    You don't seem to understand what "moves" are. A Rattata can use Scratch. A human can scratch... The former can deliver its claws into another being so forcefully that it leaves an energy-signature. A human can scratch an itch. There's a definite difference, even when there's human analogues.

The thing is, there isn't a difference. That is why Scratch is a Normal-type move, because it is just a normal attack, which is also why it is not super effective against anything. And where does it say anything about an "energy-signature" I've never heard of anything like this. The only difference between a human using moves like Scratch and Tackle, is that those moves won't be very fatal, or damaging at all, though it doesn;t stop them from being moves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    The thing is, there isn't a difference. That is why Scratch is a Normal-type move, because it is just a normal attack, which is also why it is not super effective against anything. And where does it say anything about an "energy-signature" I've never heard of anything like this. The only difference between a human using moves like Scratch and Tackle, is that those moves won't be very fatal, or damaging at all, though it doesn;t stop them from being moves.
    Play the games. Use Scratch, and lo and behold, right there on the screen are three tears in the fabric of reality that signify a Pokemon move.

In any case, your point is moot because many of those Normal types evolve, which humans cannot, and can learn TM/HM moves of types different from Normal that humans cannot.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Play the games. Use Scratch, and lo and behold, right there on the screen are three tears in the fabric of reality that signify a Pokemon move.

In any case, your point is moot because many of those Normal types evolve, which humans cannot, and can learn TM/HM moves of types different from Normal that humans cannot.

...The move you're thinking of is Spacial Rend, not Scratch. By your logic, when Cascoon uses Bug Bite, it makes a bite mark larger then its mouth, or Mew leaves the same punch-mark as Machamp.

Anyways, what defines a Pokémon form, for say, a Human or Fish (The only other creatures that seem to inhabit the Pokémon World), would be either a special gene that most Pokémon have (and thus makes them all related to an extent), or if they're an artifical Pok
    émon like Porygon or Electrode, because the humans said so.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I feel so unloved. :(

Pokemon must also be able to be recognized by Pokeballs. EDIT: Continue with "Pokeballs recognize Pokemon with the 'Poke-gene' mentioned by Niprop. Earlier malfunctions may be due to lack or a malfunction of the recognition device."

And Yams, I wouldn't expect you to be as irritated as you're coming across as being.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016

...The move you're thinking of is Spacial Rend, not Scratch. By your logic, when Cascoon uses Bug Bite, it makes a bite mark larger then its mouth, or Mew leaves the same punch-mark as Machamp.
    I have never heard of "Spacial Rend". A quick look at move sets suggest it doesn't even exist.

In any case, I was poking fun at the guy. My other points still stand.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I have never heard of "Spacial Rend". A quick look at move sets suggest it doesn't even exist.

In any case, I was poking fun at the guy. My other points still stand.

Wow fail.

Spacial Rend is very much a move in the games, as shown HERE

Okay, let's look at something else. How about...Farfetch'd? Let's face, all its moves are basically pecking, hitting with a wing or hitting with a leek. and it is not capable of evolution.

So, what marks Farfetch'd out as a 'Pokemon' rather than just a weird product of evolution?

EDIT:

Pokemon must also be able to be recognized by Pokeballs. EDIT: Continue with "Pokeballs recognize Pokemon with the 'Poke-gene' mentioned by Niprop. Earlier malfunctions may be due to lack or a malfunction of the recognition device."

Isn't it possible that Pokeballs, rather than being designed to accept a specific gene in pokemon, instead reject the genetic make up of humans specifically?

Another point: taken from Canalave Library:

There once were Pokémon that became very close to humans. There once were humans and Pokémon that ate together at the same table. It was a time when there existed no differences to distinguish the two.
    Is it possible that humans in fact ARE a type of Pokemon, in the same way that we are a type of animal?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Wow fail.

Spacial Rend is very much a move in the games, as shown HERE

Okay, let's look at something else. How about...Farfetch'd? Let's face, all its moves are basically pecking, hitting with a wing or hitting with a leek. and it is not capable of evolution.

So, what marks Farfetch'd out as a 'Pokemon' rather than just a weird product of evolution?
    That clearly states that Spacial Rend was introduced in the fourth generation. I have only played the first generation. Pokemon were introduced in the first generation. That's all we need to look at at defining Pokemon.

Farfetch'd also learns Psychic, Dark, Bug, and Fire type moves. Those are all powerful, elemental moves that humans and animals can't learn, but Pokemon can. So Pokemon are defined by, lets face it, magic.

Years
  • Ok, you seem to be looking at TMs here. Let's face it, TMs are not natural. They are basically editing the Pokemon, mutating it or whatever. I'm sure, with the right technology, you could 'edit' a normal bird to spit poison, for example. So, Farfetch'd's natural moves. It's psychic move is...um...flying really fast. That isn't magic. It's dark type moves are what, kncking something out of your hands and hitting you quickly? That isn't magic.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Ok, you seem to be looking at TMs here. Let's face it, TMs are not natural. They are basically editing the Pokemon, mutating it or whatever. I'm sure, with the right technology, you could 'edit' a normal bird to spit poison, for example. So, Farfetch'd's natural moves. It's psychic move is...um...flying really fast. That isn't magic. It's dark type moves are what, kncking something out of your hands and hitting you quickly? That isn't magic.
    Let me answer all your questions in one: Humans are Pokemon. They're mostly Normal type, but occasionally are capable of being Psychic type (Sabrina and psychics) and possibly Fire type (Firebreather).

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    My post on the other page, typing, egg groups, hi, still here. XD

Years
  • Let me answer all your questions in one: Humans are Pokemon. They're mostly Normal type, but occasionally are capable of being Psychic type (Sabrina and psychics) and possibly Fire type (Firebreather).

That's what I was suggesting in the first place XD

Hi, moog, read your post and it made me think of something...the definition of species is when creatures can reproduce together to produce fertile offspring, right?

Technically, that means that a skitty and a wailord, being able to produce feritle offspring, are the same species....but that can't be right, can it?

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Technically, that means that a skitty and a wailord, being able to produce feritle offspring, are the same species....but that can't be right, can it?

I always thought that was Gamefreak's way of messing with people's minds, but apparently, Skitty and Wailord are closely related enough to be able to breed (or some guy is sneaking into our Pok
    émon Daycares and placing eggs in them while no one is looking).

I heard somewhere that all pok
    émon are just subspeices of a single organism, (With some exeptions, Porygon is in no way related to any Pokémon accept for it's evolutions, and the Deity Legendaries are also sketchy) Mew, but this might be out-dated canon, just like cows were before Miltank came along.

This leads to a question though,

IF NOT PEOPLE OR POKES, WHAT ARE FISH SUPPOSED TO BE?

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    And Yams, I wouldn't expect you to be as irritated as you're coming across as being.

Sorry If I seem irritated, it's just that I'm usually the one that just stays back and looks at these topics as people argue endlessly, being in a debate makes me excited I guess, though the word excited comes off as sounding weird. I'm not irritated, I'm just in a debating mood.

IF NOT PEOPLE OR POKES, WHAT ARE FISH SUPPOSED TO BE?

Don't ask that... if you do Arceus will come get you.

And Redstar, I am just saying that it is not just Moves that define what a Pokemon is, which is what your original post stated. I'm saying that what defines a Pokemon is a common gene in all of them, that originated in Arceus, was copied in all the Pokemon he created, and when he created Mew, Mew had that same gene. So then when Mews evolved into all the Pokemon we have now, that gene was passed down and is retained in the DNA of all Pokemon. Along with other things like Typings, as well as the energy to do moves, besides the Normal type.

EDIT: 100th post!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    And Redstar, I am just saying that it is not just Moves that define what a Pokemon is, which is what your original post stated. I'm saying that what defines a Pokemon is a common gene in all of them, that originated in Arceus, was copied in all the Pokemon he created, and when he created Mew, Mew had that same gene. So then when Mews evolved into all the Pokemon we have now, that gene was passed down and is retained in the DNA of all Pokemon. Along with other things like Typings, as well as the energy to do moves, besides the Normal type.
    None of that is canon. It's all fan theories.

Years

• I heard somewhere that all pok
    émon are just subspeices of a single organism, (With some exeptions, Porygon is in no way related to any Pokémon accept for it's evolutions, and the Deity Legendaries are also sketchy) Mew, but this might be out-dated canon, just like cows were before Miltank came along.

This theory has a flaw - if Pokemon are subspecies ( and therefore technically the same 'species') they should ALL be able to reproduce to give fertile offspring (apart from porygon, etc.) but a Dugtrio canno't reproduce with a Caterpie, I believe, though they can both produce eggs with other Pokemon.

Yams

Polursaring!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    None of that is canon. It's all fan theories.

I know that, I never stated that this is the absolute truth. Neither is what you said. This thread is filled with tons of fan theories, like how Pokeballs use data instead of matter to energy conversion. Also how the move Absorb works. The point is not whether it is canon, but whether it makes sense.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Guess who's back? Okay, Here's my answers for the following questions.

Absorb I've already explained, Remoraids are friends to mantine that develop a friendship with it when it's a mantine, or the remoraid is not a areal remoraid. It is a part of mantine used to catch prey. Pokemon faints, battle is over. a pokemon fights till it faints, once fainted trainers know it's time to stop. Humans have a different DNA(human genome project) and pokeball only reads pokemon DNA, Pokemon trainer arranges pokeballs in a certain order and memorizes that order. Pokemon can't be kept in a pokeball forever or it will die. It needs to be fed like any other organism. People do eat pokemon. Remember Farfetch'd are nearly extinct due to people devouring them because they taste so great. Remember slowpoke tail? Pokemon also eat other pokemon(in the wild) Like animals, it's the circle of life(cue Lion King music).
    Pokemon are programmed or have a chip in them that has them learn the move. They read the info inside. Not all can learn every move due to the complexity of some TM's. Arceus created Pokemon world. I honestly HATE that the creators made pokemon create god created stuff. Think about it a young, innocent suggestive little five year old raised in a Christian household listens to this and is now a follower of Pokeanity(just made that up). Pokemon: creature with amazing capabilities in attack and defense that can be taught naturally or scientifically that a human is unable to use. Nietio described Mew the best. I can't argue or come up with a new theory(yet) Oh and ALL POKEMON CAN BREED WITH ANY OTHER POKEMON AS LONG AS THERE IS A MALE AND FEMALE. I'VE ALREADY EXPLAINED THIS!

Last edited:
    Back