• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real pokemon guru

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    It's possible Magikarp are like the real-world killifish, which can live in water anywhere from 10 °C (50 °F) to 40 °C (104 °F), that's almost fresh to twice as salty as normal, and can even live on land for weeks or months, literally changing their anatomy so they can directly breathe air. Oh, and they're also hermaphroditic and can breed as male or female at will. They're the best survivors in the world, yet they eat small bugs and tiny crustaceans.[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Helvetica,Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • How exactly does Sing put enemies to sleep? It seems like a logical concept (lullabies), but in practice simple songs wouldn't work nearly as well as the move does.

A slightly more specific answer...

Sing and Grasswhistle do not derive their effects from the notes sung, but from infrasonic frequencies hidden in the "song".

Infrasonic frequencies are the levels of sound too low to hear. You see, humans show unusual physical symptoms when exposed to specific infrasonic frequencies, particularly 7.16Hz (the infamous "Brown Note", causes nausea) and 14.0Hz (causes irrational anxiety). The two aforementioned sleep moves utilize an infrasonic frequency that causes drowsiness. This results in multiple Pokemon being able to access these moves although they use different songs.

Also related, a frequency of 20MHz cancels out the natural resonance of internal organs, and results in total organ failure. Sounds a lot like Yanmega's Bug Buzz to me...

I'm a bit concerned that the same questions are starting to be recycled in this thread.

Do a thread search.

And mods, approve my request.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Oh, what? Original content fail.

And their cries went up before the mods forever and ever. Amen.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Hi again :D

Tricky new question here. In the anime, the Poketch dude demonstrated a handy little app that showed how well a trainer and pokemon got along just by pointing it at them. I'm sure you can see what's coming.

How on EARTH does that work?

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Link Power! I haven't seen that episode, but I have played Mega Man Starforce. XD

Kinda on a metaphorical limb here, and I'm sure someone will refine or completely fix this, but still.
    The device measures the equivalent of Link Power, a numerical reading of electromagnetic disturbance swaying to and from two beings, the strength of which seems to be heavily influenced by how well the beings involved know each other and get along. In the realm of Pokemon, this could also entail a slight subconscious transfer of traits which wouldn't normally come from simply being around each other, perhaps explaining Ash's eventual resistance to Pikachu's electric attacks.

The Scientist

Years
  • Link Power! I haven't seen that episode, but I have played Mega Man Starforce. XD

Kinda on a metaphorical limb here, and I'm sure someone will refine or completely fix this, but still.
    The device measures the equivalent of Link Power, a numerical reading of electromagnetic disturbance swaying to and from two beings, the strength of which seems to be heavily influenced by how well the beings involved know each other and get along. In the realm of Pokemon, this could also entail a slight subconscious transfer of traits which wouldn't normally come from simply being around each other, perhaps explaining Ash's eventual resistance to Pikachu's electric attacks.

I support this theory. I've heard that there is some degree of "synchronizing" that occurs when people are in proximity for an extended period of time: similar brainwaves, similar heart and breathing rates, "hivemind", and for women, simultaneous menstruation.

Nevertheless, there have been recorded instances of psychological links between people, instances where one will know the other is in distress from thousands of kilometers away.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    I totally agree with Moog too. There is also a search on dreams. When the person sleeps the dreamologist(don't know the proper term) scans for brain wave speed or something of that nature. Anyway, they can determine wether the sleeper had a dream, or a nightmare. That study could be applied here. The stress levels, the brain wave activity(depending on speed and "hieght" of the brain waves) and the hormone levels.

I have a question. Should I keep side gurus? why or why not.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I just thought I'd add something to the Magikarp question: Magikarp are found in every single body of water in the games. That suggests they breed early and often, with many eggs per pregnancy. They could never be entirely wiped out, and the sheer numbers ensure that at least one will evolve into a Gyarados to restart the process.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I got a question.
    What materials make up the Pokemon Ditto?
    And how can it breed with every other Pokemon?

The Scientist

Years
  • I got a question.

It's body is a plasma-like substance, and its cells are similar to stem cells. Ever seen a slime mold? It's kind of like that. Ditto maintains full control over this plasma, and must consciously hold its form or else it will fall apart (hence why a laughing Ditto reverts back into plasma). As far as copying moves go, I think that after a Pokemon learns a move, traces of that attack are stored in its cell memory. This is why baby Pokemon can "inherit" their father's attacks, and not their father's entire potential moveset. When Ditto copies an enemy, it modifies its pseudo-stem cells to "evolve" based on the target's appearance and/or pheromones.

Third self-quote in a row, guys. I'll let this one go, but only because Hamako's new to the thread.

As far as breeding with other Pokemon, it uses its metamorphic abilities to turn into the same species as its mate.

It should be pretty straightforward from there.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Hey, question. Now, we know that normal attacks don't work on ghost types, and that makes sense because, well, you can't literally touch a ghost, so you logically can't punch it either.

So how does Bite work? You're still just making physical contact with it, but for some odd reason, Bite can affect a ghost.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Hey, question. Now, we know that normal attacks don't work on ghost types, and that makes sense because, well, you can't literally touch a ghost, so you logically can't punch it either.

So how does Bite work? You're still just making physical contact with it, but for some odd reason, Bite can affect a ghost.

Hey... I can answer this one!

Well, for Bite, you surround you're teeth with a dark energy. The ghosts might not feel the teeth, but they feel the Dark energy. That's how Dark pokemon get STAB on it: they can produce more dark energy.

But what about Gen1, when it was a normal attack? Well, at that point in time, people hadn't realized the existance of Dark types (or steel, even though they have existed since the dinosaurs. See: Bastiodon). So, when their pokemon would learn Bite, they wouldn't know to coat it with a Dark type energy.

The Scientist

Years
  • Hey... I can answer this one!

Well, for Bite, you surround you're teeth with a dark energy. The ghosts might not feel the teeth, but they feel the Dark energy. That's how Dark pokemon get STAB on it: they can produce more dark energy.

But what about Gen1, when it was a normal attack? Well, at that point in time, people hadn't realized the existance of Dark types (or steel, even though they have existed since the dinosaurs. See: Bastiodon). So, when their pokemon would learn Bite, they wouldn't know to coat it with a Dark type energy.

For congruency reasons, I'd say it's connected to the "Why is Psychic weak against Dark" question a while back.

"Ghost" Pokemon, while not really ghosts, do have high spiritual sensitivity. The aura of something as malevolent and vicious as a Dark-type would be psychologically damaging as well as physical... so when they "connect" with an attack, the damage may just be due to the proximity.

Bite's changing of type over time is an example of progression in the Pokemon world. In the days of RBY, Pokemon would just bite something and call it a Bite attack. However, when the Dark-type was later identified and people saw how effective their Bite was, it started a movement to replace the standard Bite with the more vicious Dark Bite.

Years
  • I got a question.

I sometimes think Ditto is like liquid metal. Though a creature without bones is a better explanation. Gormless and formless.

For ungendered Pokemon, like Magnemite, imagine Ditto as appearing with fake eyelashes and lipstick.

Nothing is beastier than a man wearing make-up. Isn't that right, Green Day?

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • I sometimes think Ditto is like liquid metal. Though a creature without bones is a better explanation. Gormless and formless.

For ungendered Pokemon, like Magnemite, imagine Ditto as appearing with fake eyelashes and lipstick.

Nothing is beastier than a man wearing make-up. Isn't that right, Green Day?

i liked the stem cell hypothesis better :S

aww... i forgot my question... let me get back at you :|

EDIT: oh yeah... how come there is no light-type as opposed to dark-type? (didn't bother to read all the way back, so i'm sorry if it's been answered)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Because Dark type isn't defined that way. In fact, "dark" doesn't exist. Dark is simply the absence of light. This very definition suggests that the typing of "Dark" must not fit that polarization.

Simply put, Dark types aren't lack of light. They're forces. They're a mentality. They're Evil (the Japanese name). (If you really want a light type, look at Electric. They fit the bill in some ways)

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • Because Dark type isn't defined that way. In fact, "dark" doesn't exist. Dark is simply the absence of light. This very definition suggests that the typing of "Dark" must not fit that polarization.

Simply put, Dark types aren't lack of light. They're forces. They're a mentality. They're Evil (the Japanese name). (If you really want a light type, look at Electric. They fit the bill in some ways)

however, it is clearly stated in canon that there is no such thing as an 'evil Pokémon' (by Meowth; don't remember the episode), and that Pokémon only act in evil ways when told to do so by their trainers, meaning that what you said must be false...

what you described in your post would more accurately describe 'shadow Pokémon' from XD or the TCG... and being evil isn't something that they are born with... it is something that they choose (definition of evil in Pokémon).

anyone else have a suggestion?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    If they're not evil, than why is their type "Evil"?

(And no where did I say what form of evil they are, so Pokemon could easily be evil without breaking your supposed "canon")

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • If they're not evil, than why is their type "Evil"?

(And no where did I say what form of evil they are, so Pokemon could easily be evil without breaking your supposed "canon")

???
    i don't understand what you mean by "supposed 'canon'"... i just don't...

secondly, if what you meant is that a Pokémon's feeling of mercilessness (i.e. whatever you wanna call it) makes it a different type, then how come Pokémon known to be inherently gracious and pure aren't... (i.e. Chansey line, Togepi line, Shaymin, etc)

anyways, i'll leave you to ponder about it...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I mean supposed because you don't have any specific instances where this was confirmed. I recall ONE NPC in RBY, and an interview with Tajiri, but other than that it's not a subject often gone over.

I never used the word merciless, nor did I suggest it was a quality inherent in Dark types. Dark types are simply a force, like Sauron. They're a mentality that allows them a different way of interacting with life. They tap into powers similar to Psychic, but otherwise different. A Jedi/Sith kinda thing (though the comparison disgusts me).

Back