• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real vs... Real?

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    An argument is only pointless if you cannot prove your side of it.

How are personal opinions, not able to defend?
    The reason I focues on the spam part, was because you had the audacity to come out, and call it that of such.

Audacity or not, it was nowhere near my point, and to make an entire post on that alone, rather than the main point of that post (which as I said, agreed with you) is uncalled for.

I only said that because I've seen dozens of threads like this, closed. You responding the way you did proved me right.

Aura said what I was gonna say.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Politics is a heated subject and varies depending on who you talk to, but doing it online is much less weighty against you. That brings us back to consequences.

The consequences that occur online differ from those that occur off. Consequences, with the exception of those that effect relationships, online (depending on where you are) varies. You could get banned from something, receive warnings from others, etc. You can't really get that offline. If you share you opinion on something and go too far, the worse you can get (varies) but in no way will you receive a permanent reminder of what you did like you do on forums (be it any type of forum).

Timing online is possibly the greatest thing that could ever happen during an argument. Online, you do really get a sense of what's the logical response and what's the illogical response as you can actually see your words that they're going to read on the screen. Offline during an argument, you talk without thinking and that's not helpful in anyway to the argument other than just feeding it to becoming something worse than what it already is.

But to address the quote, I see no need for someone to be arguing unless the topic at hand addresses it. But I don't see why it's taken seriously online. Usually, people who are involved in arguments come out in the end actually being friends with the person they were arguing, or in this case, I should say debating, due to how much they got to really see how intelligent they are. Typically, offline, that does not occur. Again, consequences.

All your reasons, while not being wrong.
    Only talk about the guide lines of what makes an argument, or a debate, what it is.

I am talking about, or at least trying to talk about, the actual aspect of arguing, and your reasons for doing so.

To Sims:
    Oh, lol, I'm sure he said exactly you were going to say.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    All your reasons, while not being wrong.
    Only talk about the guide lines of what makes an argument, or a debate, what it is.

I am talking about, or at least trying to talk about, the actual aspect of arguing, and your reasons for doing so.

To Sims:
    Oh, lol, I'm sure he said exactly you were going to say.

That snippy quote is exactly what he was talking about. There is a major difference between offline & online arguing. This isn't about what makes an argument, it's about the difference between online & offline arguing. Speaking face to face results in views being said differently. Online, it's all anonymous. I have no idea on the true grasp of your views, only words on a screen. Most importantly, arguments (not debates, arguments) on a whole, are usually childish. Hence the difference between arguing & debating. IRL, I can always walk away, or risk looking like a fool in public. Online, ya just come off as arrogant and childish, arguing with people you don't know.

I think Aura's main point is that online arguing (or discussions) doesn't convey real emotions correctly or as clearly as IRL debates.

As he said before, you seem to insult or get rude with anyone not agreeing with you at all. Which is exactly why people say what random (you) those things. If you are going online just to star an argument, maybe you need to go IRL for a while.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It is unrionic that a thread about arguments turns into an argument itself.
    Intarwebz or not, all arguments are futile.

Savage

Ignorance is bliss.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 15, 2009
    Negative Reputation.
    Shows how serious you are, hiding behind an anonymous negative number.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Web arguments go for a long time. They are fueled by people who have nothing better to do :P

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
    There is a huge difference between dealing with drama online, than there is offline, imo.

For one, if things aren't going your way on the internet, you can always sign off. However, real-life is...a bit more complicated than that.

I used to let online-drama play a part in my life. I've since learned that, while you might consider someone a "friend" online, even if that person means alot to you, it's easy to never have to face them again if something were to go wrong.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Talk about wrong... Thats just wrong. all were doing is having a chat on the forum, whats wrong with that?

EDIT: All we are doing is talking to someone FAR away, and yah, maybe we'll never meet them, but there are other ways. pics, chat, and besides, a forum is for conversation. So I agree with some parts, some I dont. BTW, you can find someone great in a forum as well *coughx_xcrissycough*

Last edited:

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    I'll just put in my two cents...

...There has to be a distinction between what is said and on the internet, and what is done outside of that. You can't say you have a "life" when all you do is sit around at the computer all day and just post on forums. Yeah, to visit a forum, post, and make friends online is great, but that can't be your whole life, otherwise, you'll always be discontent with what you have.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    Lol seriously?
    Real Life and Internet, are the same, one just through a computer. Tell me something.
    You can sh*t in a toilet, or you can sh*t in a hole.
    Does that make sh*ting any different?
    It may be a different location, but your expecting the same out come.

Seriously though, lol all this talk about, "Drama on the internet, why are you being so serious on the internet."
    Lol, as opposed to what?
    Saying it face to face?
    How is it any different then a phone call? Or a text, or a letter?
    The only thing thats different from the real world, and the internet, is that your in a different location, and your staring a monitor.
    The feeling, the emotions, the outcome, is all going to be the same.

(I apologize for the language.
    I don't agree. Arguing on the internet and in real life are completely different things. When you're on the internet, you can make yourself sound tough. In real life, it is the spur of the moment. You say whatever you can think of in the moment. It's nothing like arguing on the internet - where you can just plan out your comebacks and throw them through a moniter. You're behind a moniter when arguing on the internet, its not going to be the same as shouting remarks to someone else's face.
    But the internet is merely that of the real world, just without consequence.
    Morals you stand for in the real world, should still qualify on the internet.

Arguing on the computer, is exactly the same as arguing in real life, except on the internet your expecting not to receive any consequences.

You the person, will be the same in an argument either on or off the internet.
    and If you change your demeanor for the sake of being on the internet, then your just being fake, and the consequences you would receive in the real world for being fake, would be just the same on the internet.
    There obviously are consequences for arguing on the internet. You can lose friends. I've been there and after the arguement, we've never been the same, and I'm sometimes bothered by it still. And no, you might not act the same in an arguement online as you would in one offline, because, as I already stated, you're going to have a bit of time to plan out your thoughts on the internet, while in real life you just have to say what you can.

Back