• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Reason why the 5th gen pokemon look different

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I think it's because Digimon are a bit more elaborate than Pokémon traditionally are, and if you don't call Reshiram and Zircom elaborate then you really need to get your eyes checked. Personally, I like a lot of these Pokémon, and I suspect it'll be a repeat of the Drapion Incident - the first time I saw Drapion in the pages of Nintendo Power, I thought, "WTF is that thing?" Well, 'that thing' ended up being a solid and life-saving member of my team.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Well, I wish we could go back to the 1st gen. creators. I loved the simple pokemon. They were just...good. However, there were some pokemon that were too simple in Gen I. Grimer is literally a pile of muck with a face lol.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    It sounds fine to me. Every new gen some older designers may decide it's not for them anymore, or maybe they just want to bring in some new people for fresh ideas. I'm really liking Gen 5's designs as of now, they seem edgier and that's something I can live with :D

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    ^^ Yeah Dillon, people are just too picky nowadays. Though there is nothing wrong w/ them having an opinion.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    There is not a "team" of people that come up with Pokemon designs

Ken Sugimori designs the pokemon and has always designed them much the same as he has designed every in game trainer

He isnt the only one that designs the pokemon, there are other people that do as well.

I agree with this, but apparently we're in the minority. Most people seem to hate Gen III.

I hated the Hoenn region but I liked the 3rd gen pokemon.

I think it's because Digimon are a bit more elaborate than Pokémon traditionally are, and if you don't call Reshiram and Zircom elaborate then you really need to get your eyes checked. Personally, I like a lot of these Pokémon, and I suspect it'll be a repeat of the Drapion Incident - the first time I saw Drapion in the pages of Nintendo Power, I thought, "WTF is that thing?" Well, 'that thing' ended up being a solid and life-saving member of my team.

I had that same reaction.

Last edited:

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    Well I loved the 1st Gen Pokemon, I loved the 2nd Gen Pokemon.
    3rd Gen had some good Pokemon like Ralts, Gardevoir, Metagross and... Well...
    I liked 4th Gen Pokemon.
    5th Gen though, in my opinion is horrible. Not just the Pokemon but everything about it so far. However I did like the water starters evolution. (although its colours haven't been shown yet so I hope I don't get disappointed) I can't wait to see what THAT evolves into. People can blame it on "not liking change" but to be honest I've liked the majority of the stuff in previous Generations so change isn't a problem for me. For me the problems is that the new Pokemon are crap. (At least no one can say I'm wrong as this is only an OPINION) I guess I can't blame it on the number of designers as I liked the Majority of 4th Gen, so I guess it's just my own tastes. Hopefully they'll have some cool looking pokemon in store for us and are just getting the worst ones out of the way just now :D

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Well I loved the 1st Gen Pokemon, I loved the 2nd Gen Pokemon.
    3rd Gen had some good Pokemon like Ralts, Gardevoir, Metagross and... Well...
    I liked 4th Gen Pokemon.
    5th Gen though, in my opinion is horrible. Not just the Pokemon but everything about it so far. However I did like the water starters evolution. (although its colours haven't been shown yet so I hope I don't get disappointed) I can't wait to see what THAT evolves into. People can blame it on "not liking change" but to be honest I've liked the majority of the stuff in previous Generations so change isn't a problem for me. For me the problems is that the new Pokemon are crap. (At least no one can say I'm wrong as this is only an OPINION) I guess I can't blame it on the number of designers as I liked the Majority of 4th Gen, so I guess it's just my own tastes. Hopefully they'll have some cool looking pokemon in store for us and are just getting the worst ones out of the way just now :D

They make each generation different from each other with different styles. The 5th gen pokemon are made in a different style than the 4th gen and so on. If you don't like the 5th gen pokemon you could always just stick with playing the 4th gen. No one is making you buy the next generation.

We have only seen around 20 new pokemon out of 100+ possible. They might release pokemon that you do like in the next CoroCoro.

Odds are that if you liked the other generations you will eventually like the 5th generation.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I wish Satoshi Tajiri was still fond of Pokemon and willing to incorporate his ideas to the Pokemons' designs. It looks like the designs for Pokemon won't go back to the days of Gen. I & Gen. II anytime soon.

Some of the Pokemons for Gen. V looks really good. However, others look horrible... It's just as the other members said, one's own personal taste decides it all. This have always happened in previous generations, and it's definitely going to happen this time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    A handful of the Pokémon in Generation III were still designed by Sugimori himself, which is why some of them are reminiscent of Generation I/II's style.

The ones shown in the latest CoroCoro scans are also very similar to Gen I/II's style, which I think is great. You can see all of those Pokémon fitting in perfectly. Either these Pokémon were made long ago, or it's just that Sugimori and the rest of the team can still get it done but they want to be a bit diverse. That's why we get different looking Pokémon now.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    They make each generation different from each other with different styles. The 5th gen pokemon are made in a different style than the 4th gen and so on. If you don't like the 5th gen pokemon you could always just stick with playing the 4th gen. No one is making you buy the next generation.

We have only seen around 20 new pokemon out of 100+ possible. They might release pokemon that you do like in the next CoroCoro.

Odds are that if you liked the other generations you will eventually like the 5th generation.

It's true that no one is making me buy it, and it's also true that there's only been a small portion of Pokemon released.
    I really do hope that there are new Pokemon that I like as I've been a fan since 1998 and I wasn't really planning on stopping for a long time.
    I will most likely still buy Pokemon Black to see what it's like and if I don't like it I can always say at least I tried it :)
    An you're probably right, I probably will end up liking the 5th Gen, I suppose I'll just keep my mind open until everything has been released.

Also, it'd be weird if the number of designers for the 5th Gen were 14
    as it would go:

1st Gen - 4
    (+ 4)
    2nd Gen - 8
    (+ 3)
    3rd Gen - 11
    (+ 2)
    4th Gen - 13
    (+ 1)
    5th Gen - 14

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    It's true that no one is making me buy it, and it's also true that there's only been a small portion of Pokemon released.
    I really do hope that there are new Pokemon that I like as I've been a fan since 1998 and I wasn't really planning on stopping for a long time.
    I will most likely still buy Pokemon Black to see what it's like and if I don't like it I can always say at least I tried it :)
    An you're probably right, I probably will end up liking the 5th Gen, I suppose I'll just keep my mind open until everything has been released.

Also, it'd be weird if the number of designers for the 5th Gen were 14
    as it would go:

1st Gen - 4
    (+ 4)
    2nd Gen - 8
    (+ 3)
    3rd Gen - 11
    (+ 2)
    4th Gen - 13
    (+ 1)
    5th Gen - 14

But some designers left as others joined. Remember that 10 of the DPPT designers never worked on the originals.

Years
    I just have to get used to them. After some time, some Gen5 pokemon don't look so bad. I mean sure, some pokemon are still ugly, but I'm starting to define them as pokemon.

Why do people hate Gen3? I love that generation. Well, I only played emerald and LG, judging from that, it's not bad at all.

Totaldile

appeared! Totaldile used RAWR!
    Years
    I have it all figured out.

Yes. I have it all figured out.
    Take charmander(and evos), and the chimchar family.
    Charmeleon, being the middle evo, is about half-way bed tweeen charmander and charizard's size. It has one horn, charizard two, charmander none, and so is essentially a transition, nice and simple. A mid-way point between Chamrnader and Charizard.

Then look at chimchar. Inferape is probably three times the size of monferno, and monferno maybe 1.5x as big as chimchar. Infernape has fire on it's head(wtf?) while monferno and chimchar has a firey tail. Infernape all of a sudden has blue hands and feet, while monferno and chimchar have creamy hands and feet.

What I'm saying is that, Pokemon used to be be a child-like pokemon, then a teenager, then an adult in logical(well, as logical as pokemon gets) stages, no real drastic changes. Now pokemon goes toddler, child, adult, making drastic changes going into a 3rd evo. This was hard to explain. I'm using gen 4 because gen 5 hasn't been released enough yet.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Yes. I have it all figured out.
    Take charmander(and evos), and the chimchar family.
    Charmeleon, being the middle evo, is about half-way bed tweeen charmander and charizard's size. It has one horn, charizard two, charmander none, and so is essentially a transition, nice and simple. A mid-way point between Chamrnader and Charizard.

Then look at chimchar. Inferape is probably three times the size of monferno, and monferno maybe 1.5x as big as chimchar. Infernape has fire on it's head(wtf?) while monferno and chimchar has a firey tail. Infernape all of a sudden has blue hands and feet, while monferno and chimchar have creamy hands and feet.

What I'm saying is that, Pokemon used to be be a child-like pokemon, then a teenager, then an adult in logical(well, as logical as pokemon gets) stages, no real drastic changes. Now pokemon goes toddler, child, adult, making drastic changes going into a 3rd evo. This was hard to explain. I'm using gen 4 because gen 5 hasn't been released enough yet.

one of the exceptions to that is magikarp

Years
    What about Golbat/Crobat? One is purple and the other blue.
    and Dragoniair/Dragonite. One is dragon and one sea creature.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    their gettin worse.

gen1
    i loved every pokemon except ponyta&rapidash (i ummm got a thing bout horses) and it got me hooked on pokemon

gen2
    i loved every single pokemon, & it was my fav region/generation& i loved all of gen4s gen2 pokemon evolutions which just made it even better to me :D
    and solidified my loyalty to the series& made me a permanent fan of pokemon.

gen3
    i liked half the pokemon, the other half i loved.
    & it stands so far to be the only region i love all 3beginners
    it also showed that pokemon dont have to evolve to be strong
    & introduced a massive variety of dragons to even out their rarity

not to mention the fontastic storyline in emerald which made Emerald my fav game after G/S/C/HG/SS until platinum came out which makes it now:
    HG/SS-Pt-&E as my top favs.

gen4
    minus the massive lot of useless gen1 evolutions(minus the eeveelutions)
    the gen2 evolutions i fell in love with, and even bonsly caught my attention
    i found alot of the new dark type pokemon awesome
    the legends were ok, but it seemed like they were rushing too many at once in fear of pokemon ending "prematurely" IMO

i loved the gible line,but was disappointed in ANOTHER physical heavy dragon, which we are in serious need of a NON-legendary special attack heavy dragon

the storyline in platinum over took emerald as my fav storyline so far, which only added to my love for the pokemon designs especially with the new cut scenes exc.

gen5
    so far i LOVE the region itself
    but the pokemon are seriously lacking, i love the grass beginner, i plan on frying the fire beginner (lol jk), & the water beginner IMO shouldve been brown like a real otter then id like it more
    the newly revealed pokemon disappointed me, pokemon are meant to be animals not monsters, but now their becoming more& more like monsters instead of animals
    i do like the fire pokemon,its growing on me
    &the crocodile I LOVE

i dont know the storyline, but i hope it makes me appreciate these pokemon more

cuz right now i think their designs are going down hill FAST :(

Aggression

Pokémon Ultimate Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2013
    their gettin worse.

gen1
    i loved every pokemon except ponyta&rapidash (i ummm got a thing bout horses) and it got me hooked on pokemon

gen2
    i loved every single pokemon, & it was my fav region/generation& i loved all of gen4s gen2 pokemon evolutions which just made it even better to me :D
    and solidified my loyalty to the series& made me a permanent fan of pokemon.

gen3
    i liked half the pokemon, the other half i loved.
    & it stands so far to be the only region i love all 3beginners
    it also showed that pokemon dont have to evolve to be strong
    & introduced a massive variety of dragons to even out their rarity

not to mention the fontastic storyline in emerald which made Emerald my fav game after G/S/C/HG/SS until platinum came out which makes it now:
    HG/SS-Pt-&E as my top favs.

gen4
    minus the massive lot of useless gen1 evolutions(minus the eeveelutions)
    the gen2 evolutions i fell in love with, and even bonsly caught my attention
    i found alot of the new dark type pokemon awesome
    the legends were ok, but it seemed like they were rushing too many at once in fear of pokemon ending "prematurely" IMO

i loved the gible line,but was disappointed in ANOTHER physical heavy dragon, which we are in serious need of a NON-legendary special attack heavy dragon

the storyline in platinum over took emerald as my fav storyline so far, which only added to my love for the pokemon designs especially with the new cut scenes exc.

gen5
    so far i LOVE the region itself
    but the pokemon are seriously lacking, i love the grass beginner, i plan on frying the fire beginner (lol jk), & the water beginner IMO shouldve been brown like a real otter then id like it more
    the newly revealed pokemon disappointed me, pokemon are meant to be animals not monsters, but now their becoming more& more like monsters instead of animals
    i do like the fire pokemon,its growing on me
    &the crocodile I LOVE

i dont know the storyline, but i hope it makes me appreciate these pokemon more

cuz right now i think their designs are going down hill FAST :(

[PO]C[KE]T [MON]STERS

POKEMON

derpaderp!!!

Back