• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen ? Red Gyarados + Blue Gyarados = Gold Magikarp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitori_theTeamAquaSuicune

Aqua Snagger Kitori
Years
  • There's a small chance for it to be true.
    I've tried it before, but ended in failure.
    So I guess the chances are still very rare.
    Shinies are normally are pain in the rear to find, unless yoou have a gameshark, mostly used for impatient people like me. X3

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    There's a small chance for it to be true.
    I've tried it before, but ended in failure.
    So I guess the chances are still very rare.
    Shinies are normally are pain in the rear to find, unless yoou have a gameshark, mostly used for impatient people like me. X3

For what to be true? The breeding for a shiny thing? Cuz thats true, the chances of getting a through an egg with a shiny parent are cut down to 1/64. If you breed the red gyarados with a ditto, I am positive that you will eventually get a shiny (gold) magikarp.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    I thought that IVs determined whether a Pokemon was shiny or not in G/S/C.

Since you already have a shiny Gyarados, and up to 2 IVs can be passed from a parent to the baby (1 from father, 1 from mother, 1 is random), your chances are, uh...higher...?
    And if you've got 2 shinies, then that means that 3 IVs are the special ones. So your chances are higher.

Or something like that. I'm sure someone will totally destroy this thought, though. =/

Yuma

Cute Pokémon Trainer Yuma
    Years
  • Making a shiny breed with a normal pokémon doesn't increase the chance of getting a shiney pokémon. You just have to be lucky to get one.

Jesus Freak Josh

In my mind's eye, I see You...
    Years
  • GameFAQs said:
    To get a shiny Pokemon, the following conditions must be met:

The left digit of the random Attack/Defense value must be 2, 3, 6, 7, A, B, E,
    or F.
    The gene-passing parent's Defense gene must be A.
    The left digit of the random Speed/Special value must be A.
    The gene-passing parent's Special must be 2 or A.

You can figure out the chance of getting a Shiny by determining the odds of the
    desired gender of the baby, then look below:

Remember, one of the parents must meet the requirements above, and the desired
    gender is the inverse of that parent.

If the baby has a 100% chance of getting the desired gender, or one of its
    parents is a Ditto that meets the above requirements, the odds it will be shiny
    is 1:64 (8:512).
    If the baby has a 87.5% chance of getting the desired gender, the odds it will
    be shiny is 7:512.
    If the baby has a 75% chance of getting the desired gender, the odds it will be
    shiny is 3:256 (6:512).
    If the baby has a 50% chance of getting the desired gender, the odds it will be
    shiny is 1:128 (4:512).
    If the baby has a 25% chance of getting the desired gender, the odds it will be
    shiny is 1:256 (2:512).
    If the baby has a 12.5% chance of getting the desired gender, the odds it will
    be shiny is 1:512.

NOTE: The odds of finding a shiny in the wild is 16:65536, or 1:4096

Here's the full FAQ, which explains a bit of stuff you must know to full understand that particular part.

That said, it's not likely you're going to get a shiny first go, though it IS possible.

mew2three567

Reinvented.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2011
    I tried to breed a shiny gyrados with a regular gyrados, but it just resulted in a regular magikarp, and my shiny gyrados disapearing into cyberspace.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2008
    As for this rumor, It's not true since it's a matter of being shiny or not, as it should be 100%, It's only 50%.

Waaai~
    ~Honey-Senpai~

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Getting a shiny pokemon to hatch from an egg is totally random. What the parents are doesn't matter at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    Look, tommorow ill post a video of me getting a shiny magikarp from a normal gyarados and a red one in less than 50 tries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back