• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

regions like counties?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • I kinda see a similarity between a region in Pokémon and a county in the US... would you agree a region is kinda like a county? it is made of of a small number of cities (8-15 or so) like a county... do you agree? why or why not?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No, not in the least. Counties are subject to an overarching government (in fact, two overarching governments), while regions act on their own and may not even know the other one exists. Just because something is small doesn't mean it's a county, regions are much closer to their own countries than anything bound together by government. They're just...very, very small countries. If the Pokemon world was translated into the real world the regions would probably be quite a bit bigger.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • No, not at all! In my opinion, regions are like...regions, if anything. For a game, the regions are quite large, and are definitely larger than counties. It's a video game - it's not like it's scaled to real life proportions.

For example, Castelia City just isn't going to be 10 miles in size. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years

• I was under the same impression too, also adding in Orre as part of the U.S. Regions are likely closer to providences or states in concept, at least that's what I think.
    Yes since the concept of was from Arizona. Probably wasn't mentioned since it was a Spin Off.

They strike me more as states/providence's then it does countries. Although even regions like Unova at least to me have more then one influence. I get a European feel to parts of Unova.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Nope, I think that the regions are part of a country. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are in Japan, and Unova is in the U.S.

I was under the same impression too, also adding in Orre as part of the U.S. Regions are likely closer to providences or states in concept, at least that's what I think.

Me too, are under this impression. Collective of regions form a country, and there should higher league that over these regional league. I just can't imagine of these region are independent because the poor writing to make any mention between regions.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Regions up until Unova were based on parts of Japan...and Japan is a very small country, so a region would be quite small as far as land mass goes.

If I had to give an estimate, i'd say one region is on average, 1/4 the size of California. I say this because Japan is smaller than california isnt it? And I think 4 regions are representative of 4 parts of japan.

Check out this http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_world_in_relation_to_the_real_world

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    Being a New York City metropolitan area local and visiting/traveling there often, I can say first hand that if one were to travel on foot, the parts of New York and New Jersey adapted into Unova are reasonably to scale for the purpose of making it explorable without it being absurdly large.

For instance, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, which Junichi Masuda specified as analogous to the Skyarrow Bridge, takes a half hour or more to walk across in just one direction.

And that "main street" in the south of Castelia City? The same street on the southern tip of Manhattan can take 40 minutes to walk the length of depending on how fast you're walking.

So yes, Unova is very large.

And while the regions featured in the main series are based on regions in Japan, the anime seems to suggest that "international" travel is pretty lax when Ash travels to Unova.

I just get the impression that regions are defined loosely by geographic expressions and collections of local towns and cities divided into different regional Pokémon Leagues which Pokémon Black/White suggests are at least quasi governmental in nature. These seem to take the place of "countries", though the regions represent the respective IRL regions they are based on.

That make sense?

Guest123_x1

I always thought a league region was set up based on a group of counties or even larger administrative divisions (states, provinces, prefectures, etc.) (much like how television and radio designated market areas are organized into groups of counties.), with each region/league governed by a Board of Directors (not unlike a Board of Directors of a corporation, or a Board of Education of a public school district.)

dash!

Epic
    Years
  • I've gotten the impression that the regions were more like.. small countries? Or maybe different regions to a larger country. I'm not all too sure.

But anyway, here's my view, for my story I found myself really curious as to least how big they actually were, and how long it would take to walk across the region like trainers normally do.

I went on Google Maps, and under the directions options there's one where you can get a route by walking. For example, in order to walk from Orlando, Florida to Atlanta Georgia, it would apparently take about six days. Onward from Atlanta, to Chicago, Illinois, would take about nine days.

Now I don't know how far apart or how long it actually takes to walk between the major cities. But I normally think of them about as far apart as major cities are here. In the anime, there are several smaller towns in between, which of course they could hardly include in the games. But that sounds about realistic, right? Cities like New York, Washington, Orlando.. they would be main destinations, most likely with a Gym. With scattered towns and smaller cities in between.

One more little detail, I read somewhere on some site that it apparently takes about a year to complete a single regional Pokemon league. Or at least that's some estimate based off obscure hints and details in the franchise. So then factor in walking time for.. wherever you're going. Of course, that could be off. Don't trust everything you read on a fan site, after all.

Okay guys, I'm done rambling now.

Last edited:
    Back