• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Release Date Discussion [June 23 - Japan] [Q3 - Worldwide]

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't think Masuda would tell us to watch Pokémon Smash this Sunday as an answer to "when are the next main series games coming" if it wasn't the announcement, or isn't a teaser to the announcement (meaning they will announce a teaser this week, official reveal next week")

Except....the quote says there were no hints to the new Pokemon game hinted by Junichi.

During a Q&A session during a visit to Tokyo on Saturday, Junichi Masuda was asked about when the next main series game, a game after Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition, is to come out. In response, he said that he can't really respond to that question but said to watch an upcoming Pokémon Smash episode, due to air this weekend. This was followed by a post on twitter stating the same thing. Despite this, however, the summary and trailer of that episode of Pokémon Smash makes no mention of any sort of announcement. We'll bring news on these developments as and when they happen so be sure to keep checking back.

Its a sad thing, but in truth its a double play. He cannot legally tell anyone a simple yes or no, nor can he leave a hint that suggests either. What he said was completely neutral. He said you'll have to watch the show and see, then the synopsis for the show is provided and no announcement, hint of the announcement, or even signs that they are aware that they are supposed to give an announcement was shown in the synopsis. With shows like that, they have to have everything they are talking about during the time they are rolling in the synopsis.

The summary and trailer not having it is a sign that there may not be an announcement. Junichi was only saying that to protect his spot in his company.

If this interview happened on a Saturday in Japan, then it happened on Friday for us in the US meaning the Sunday Pokemon Smash episode already played. Right now its very hard to see where he is talking about due to time difference. From what I'm reading all the events have already happened.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well the events haven't already happened if it was talking about this week 20-26 even in Japan rather than last week...and if so that gives us less than a week to Speculate...
    @Foever Grey is over due, besides Platinum came out two years after Dp, same with Emerald after RS (well they had remakes inbetween but still).

Years
    There better be something...I'm tired of getting my hopes up and then finding out it's another spin off...
    Also maybe they will only announce the title and save the mascot imo Kyurem's other forme, for Corocoro. Also maybe it's a surprise announcement...
    It could also be the remakes if not Grey...

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    When I said this week, I meant the week which is now, lol.

So then the Pokemon Smash Show has already Played then Cause its Tuesday in Japan.

Also, keep in mind that Gamefreak has Trademarked Pokemon Adventure Camp. This could very well be a new type of Main Game.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2020
    Well for HeartGold SoulSilver the logos were released when the game was announced, the covers were released the following month.

Same for Black and White.. and probably the same for the previous games.

So I'm thinking: Gray/Grey announced this Sunday. First details released.

Kyurems forme released in CoroCoro in March 15ths issue.. news of a big game announcement in the following issue.

April 15ths issue includes official Japanese boxart, release date, and details of the game.

But.. thats if it's about Grey at all. While I personally beleive it's most likely Grey if any game, it's not completely likely.

Years
    So then the Pokemon Smash Show has already Played then Cause its Tuesday in Japan.

Also, keep in mind that Gamefreak has Trademarked Pokemon Adventure Camp. This could very well be a new type of Main Game.

I think he means the 25th which is this week...
    Oh right forgot about those...maybe they're the new Stadium, Colleseum, Battle revolution. Kind of strange as he the person asked about the next main series game not the next game...but then again Bulbapedia considers Stadium,ect. as part of the main series so they might too...

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Masuda was asked precisely about B/W successor. So it's almost obvious his answer was about Gray or R/S remakes because they all would be the same type of game. Because of that Stadium series or Adventure Camp (it's not even sure what it'll be) even considered as main games, are out of question. They can't be answered as B/W successor because they are different types of games.

Years
    Good point, missed that, so it must be Grey or Crimsonruby and Indigosapphire...
    My bet is on Grey due to the Movie (the rest of the trio isn't present sure, but neither was The entire weather trio in Destiny Deoxys or even the Creation trio with Giratina and sky bouquet Shaymin (palkia was missing)).

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    Madusa was asked specifically about the Black & White sequel, so it wont be the R/S remakes. Also, he is talking about the Pokemon Smash episode which will air February 26th in Japan. Then on twitter he said:
    "Please watch next week's Pokemon Smash live or check my Twitter!"

Years
    I was about to add that to my post xD
    Anyways, yeah it can't be the remakes due to it being the Sequel to Bw (anyways RS is more of a Prequel due to taking place sometime before DPPt).
    Oh twitter, well that'll be nice for those of us who can't see Pokemon Smash live.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Madusa was asked specifically about the Black & White sequel, so it wont be the R/S remakes.

Even though R/S remakes can't be considered as B/W sequel, they still would be modified versions of B/W, so they are all related and wanted by players. Masuda knows that, so he didn't exactly hinted if sequel is going to he released first or not. Both third version and remakes have equal chances to be released first.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    Even though R/S remakes can't be considered as B/W sequel, they still would be modified versions of B/W, so they are all related and wanted by players. Masuda knows that, so he didn't exactly hinted into sequel or remakes. Both third version and remakes have equal chances to be released first.

I was going to edit my post since I thought about that but you replied first anyway lol, so yeah I agree.

Either way, I think we'll get something on Pokemon Smash. I have a feeling it'll just be the announcement that a new game will be announced on the next episode or something like that.. since Im sure that if they were going to reveal a new game they would have had it in the episode synopsis unless this was a last minute thing after the synopsis for the episode was released.

If it is revealed, its VERY early. Usually games are revealed in May, and released in September. Makes me think Japan may get the game earlier than September possibly.

Years
    Even though R/S remakes can't be considered as B/W sequel, they still would be modified versions of B/W, so they are all related and wanted by players. Masuda knows that, so he didn't exactly hinted if sequel is going to he released first or not. Both third version and remakes have equal chances to be released first.
    Well not really, there's a higher chance for Grey being first right now due to it's potential mascot having a movie coming out this year...
    True but somehow I get the feeling that they were talking about the third version when they said "Sequel".

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    Well if it's about the 3rd game, I think they will reveal the name first with some informations about the mascot, then in Corocoro March or April they will reveal some pics about it and other new features stuff.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If it is revealed, its VERY early. Usually games are revealed in May, and released in September. Makes me think Japan may get the game earlier than September possibly.

Well Black and White was announced @ like feb 2010, it's HGSS that was announced in May ;x but still I think it's kinda early because we havent had Genesect etc yet which is probs my main reason, lol.

Imo I think theyre too busy being excited about their new spinoffs rn considering there are so many at once.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I thought that BW was announced April 2010 from what I remember. I don't see the issue with releasing now in terms of pokemon. Shaymin wasn't released until a few months before Plat and Arceus until a year after. So I can see Meloetta and Genesect being either movie events next year or have downloadable events or event items once the game is out.

Yeah it seems their main focus atm is Pokemon + Nobunagas Ambition. So after they are done in development of that I can see them putting most of their efforts toward either of the main series games.

Back