• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reliving the nostalgia of Pokemon by playing through the generations!

Years
  • Hello Pokemon Fans,
    I spent my childhood playing Gen 1-3, during uni I actually picked it up again and played Gen 4 and Gen 6. I want to relive that and try to unlock everything I can!!

The plan is to play the following game:
    • Fire Red/Leaf Green
    • Emerald
    • HGSS
    • Platinum
    • BW/B2W2
    • XY
    • ORAS

Ideally, I play one version from each generation and If I can complete them, I may try gens 7-9. I will be playing the older gen using emulators and I can dump my game cartridge from the 3DS using CFW N3DS I have. My main goals are as follows:
    • Living DEX
    • I can obtain even legendaries via pkm files
    • Will use the emulator to easily trade between versions of games for trade evo and version exclusives
    • Create a competitive/frontiner team to beat frontrier
    • Play around with hackmons and other shenanigans

Now I wanted to know from the community, if there are guides/resources and or any opinions on how I can do this. Like for example,
    • Does anyone know or remember competitive and/or frontier sets I can target?
    • Any tips on IV/EV training and/or breeding in the older generations?
    • Any cool hack mons to try?
    • Any cool strategies to try?

Like for example, I really like the idea of OHKO moves, and have tested them before in-game and on showdown (they literally can do infinite damage if they hit since it will faint regardless of stats), so I wanted to try the rage mimic Machamp or no-gaurd Deoxys or rest talk Suicine. I also want to try the speed glitch in Gen 5 where I beat Trick Room, etc. So basically anything that can be fun? Also, feel free to drop any other strategy I can try.

All in all, I just want to relive the nostalgia and play some good Pokemon. So I am just looking for some advice and resources on new strategies to try, advice on some hackmons, and most importantly advice on older competitive Pokemon sets for Frontier/tower and maybe a new and unique team to try each generation. Also maybe, just maybe I can take on buddy through all the games too.

P.S. I already made some headway into HGSS, I just got my 16th badge and I am running this team (all level 60):

Modest Typhlosion
    Moves:
    - Extrasensory
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Eruption
    - Focus Blast

Modest Lapras
    Moves:
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Sheer Cold

Modest Ampharos
    Moves:
    - Signal Beam
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Bashful Dragonite (from Dratini Egg in Dragon Den)
    Moves:
    - Extreme Speed
    - Thunderwave
    - Dragon Tail
    - Aqua Tail
    * Looking for some advice on this set, I want to replace Dragon Tail with either Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Draco Meteor, I want to get Dragon Dance, and maybe round him out with either earthquake or superpower.

Adamant Heracross
    Moves:
    - Close Combat
    - Mega Horn
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

Naughty Victrebell
    Moves:
    - Leaf Blade
    - Hidden Power Rock
    - Swords Dance
    - Sludge Bomb

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    As far as EV training goes in the older games, it's good to find spots that are good for each stat to train in. Generally you're looking for places where a common, weak Pokemon is that will give you the required stat. Like, in Black/White, Route 1 is good for Attack EVs, since the only 2 Pokemon that appear there are Lillipup and Patrat, which both give Attack EVs. And since they're low level, it's easy to KO them. I can't really remember all the good spots though, especially since I never bothered to EV train much before Gen 5.

Years
  • As far as EV training goes in the older games, it's good to find spots that are good for each stat to train in. Generally you're looking for places where a common, weak Pokemon is that will give you the required stat. Like, in Black/White, Route 1 is good for Attack EVs, since the only 2 Pokemon that appear there are Lillipup and Patrat, which both give Attack EVs. And since they're low level, it's easy to KO them. I can't really remember all the good spots though, especially since I never bothered to EV train much before Gen 5.

I see, thanks for the response. Do you recall of any tips for frontier/comp pokemon for previous gen? Also do you recal any decent hackmons to try? All the hackmon information I found on showdown and smogon was gen 5 +

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I've never really played the Frontier much myself and don't know anything about hackmons so unfortunately I can't help you there. Somebody the other day did post a thread here listing supposedly good Pokemon for the Emerald battle frontier, that might be of use?

HartRena99

Shop Free Agent
    Days
  • Hello Pokemon Fans,
    I spent my childhood playing Gen 1-3, during uni I actually picked it up again and played Gen 4 and Gen 6. I want to relive that and try to unlock everything I can!!

The plan is to play the following game:
    • Fire Red/Leaf Green
    • Emerald
    • HGSS
    • Platinum
    • BW/B2W2
    • XY
    • ORAS

Ideally, I play one version from each generation and If I can complete them, I may try gens 7-9. I will be playing the older gen using emulators and I can dump my game cartridge from the 3DS using CFW N3DS I have. My main goals are as follows:
    • Living DEX
    • I can obtain even legendaries via pkm files
    • Will use the emulator to easily trade between versions of games for trade evo and version exclusives
    • Create a competitive/frontiner team to beat frontrier
    • Play around with hackmons and other shenanigans

Now I wanted to know from the community, if there are guides/resources and or any opinions on how I can do this. Like for example,
    • Does anyone know or remember competitive and/or frontier sets I can target?
    • Any tips on IV/EV training and/or breeding in the older generations?
    • Any cool hack mons to try?
    • Any cool strategies to try?

Like for example, I really like the idea of OHKO moves, and have tested them before in-game and on showdown (they literally can do infinite damage if they hit since it will faint regardless of stats), so I wanted to try the rage mimic Machamp or no-gaurd Deoxys or rest talk Suicine. I also want to try the speed glitch in Gen 5 where I beat Trick Room, etc. So basically anything that can be fun? Also, feel free to drop any other strategy I can try.

All in all, I just want to relive the nostalgia and play some good Pokemon. So I am just looking for some advice and resources on new strategies to try, advice on some hackmons, and most importantly advice on older competitive Pokemon sets for Frontier/tower and maybe a new and unique team to try each generation. Also maybe, just maybe I can take on buddy through all the games too.

P.S. I already made some headway into HGSS, I just got my 16th badge and I am running this team (all level 60):

Modest Typhlosion
    Moves:
    - Extrasensory
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Eruption
    - Focus Blast

Modest Lapras
    Moves:
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Sheer Cold

Modest Ampharos
    Moves:
    - Signal Beam
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Bashful Dragonite (from Dratini Egg in Dragon Den)
    Moves:
    - Extreme Speed
    - Thunderwave
    - Dragon Tail
    - Aqua Tail
    * Looking for some advice on this set, I want to replace Dragon Tail with either Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Draco Meteor, I want to get Dragon Dance, and maybe round him out with either earthquake or superpower.

Adamant Heracross
    Moves:
    - Close Combat
    - Mega Horn
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

Naughty Victrebell
    Moves:
    - Leaf Blade
    - Hidden Power Rock
    - Swords Dance
    - Sludge Bomb

HartRena99

Shop Free Agent
    Days
  • Absolutely! Exploring Pokémon across generations isn't just about nostalgia; it's also advocacy for a gaming legacy that's shaped many childhoods. Playing through each generation showcases not only the evolution of the game but also highlights its enduring appeal. It's a fantastic way to advocate for the continued appreciation of Pokémon's rich history and its impact on gaming culture. For competitive and Frontier sets, communities like Smogon and forums dedicated to competitive Pokemon often have detailed guides and strategies for each generation. You can find sets tailored for Frontier challenges and competitive battling for each of the mentioned generations. Your current team looks solid, but adjustments like replacing Dragon Tail on Dragonite with Dragon Dance or other moves like Dragon Claw, Outrage, or Draco Meteor can enhance its effectiveness. Adding Earthquake or Superpower could also diversify its coverage.

Back