• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Removing the 'Global Switches used by various events in the example maps'

Years
  • The tutorial at /example_maps of the Pokemon Essentials wiki talks about removing the 'Global Switches used by various events in the example maps' ... and I've found the Global Switches in RMXP but am not entirely sure which parts are safe to delete.

Is it the whole bit from "def variable
    return nil if !$PokemonGlobal.eventvars" through til "return $PokemonGlobal.eventvars[[@map_id,@event.id]].to_i
    end" or is it only some bits of that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That's not what it means at all. It means you should look at the list of switches in the game, and you're free to get rid of/replace the ones that are only used in the example maps, i.e. the ones in the picture below.

Leave the first 50 switches alone, because they're used by Essentials in general or are ubiquitous (e.g. the ones that record whether you've defeated a Gym). You can do what you like with switches 51 onwards.

Years
  • That's not what it means at all. It means you should look at the list of switches in the game, and you're free to get rid of/replace the ones that are only used in the example maps, i.e. the ones in the picture below.

Leave the first 50 switches alone, because they're used by Essentials in general or are ubiquitous (e.g. the ones that record whether you've defeated a Gym). You can do what you like with switches 51 onwards.

Well now I'm nervous lol bc that was not at all what I thought that bit meant ... I deleted a whole bunch of stuff yesterday bc that part of the wiki told me too - not the Global Switches thankfully, but several of the .txt files are completely blank now.

Ah well. RMXP hasn't thrown any errors yet, so I can't have mucked up too badly, right? (And I made backups + wrote down everything I did so if I have broken anything it should be an easy enough fix.)

Thanks for setting me on the right track - I really appreciate how helpful people are here :)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    (And I made backups + wrote down everything I did so if I have broken anything it should be an easy enough fix.)
    If only there were more people like you...

Years
  • If only there were more people like you...

Believe me. I learned my lessons the hard way lol!

One more noob question on this matter? I've tried looking for the switches, and googling for the switch location, but no results. What menu are they hiding under?

Years
  • Believe me. I learned my lessons the hard way lol!

One more noob question on this matter? I've tried looking for the switches, and googling for the switch location, but no results. What menu are they hiding under?

Go and edit an event. Upper left side should have a "switch" is active. Double-clock that.

Back