• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    @Aragornbird: So if i wanted a specific EV spread and I got it all in one level then I could just Rare Candy them up and they would be EV trained?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

i was thinking either life orb or razor claw
    Razor Claw sucks. Life Orb is okay, Choice Band/Choice Scarf are the best choices though.

@Aragornbird: So if i wanted a specific EV spread and I got it all in one level then I could just Rare Candy them up and they would be EV trained?
    That's right.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    Well, EV training is so much simpler than I thought it was. Thanks for the help!

btw @SparkleFrog: Razor claw relys on luck and so is banned in tournaments and battles that run under hax clause (I think that's what it's called)

Ok, one more question, about IV breeding.
    How does that work, I seem to have heard about it somewhere.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2010
    My Machamp's IVs

Hey, I'm currently iv breeding an adamant machamp w/ dynamic punch, payback, ice punch, and bullet punch, and I've come up with three that I want to choose from... any help would be appreciated.
    they are:
    Hp Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
    30 / 31 / 17 / 03 / 08 / 31
    30 / 18 / 28 / 29 / 31 / 31
    19 / 31 / 25 / 24 / 31 / 31

Depending on which I go with I'll end up making variations on the EVs that smogen recommended (240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe ) in order to make it fit.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Rate my Staraptor

Hey, so staraptor is my favorite of the Bird starters and I decided to make a sweeper out of one.

Nature- adamant
    evs: 252 atk, 252 spd, 4 hp

moves:

brave bird- self explanitory

close combat- gets rock and ice weakness along with pesky steel.

Giga impact- What electric pokemon has high def?

u-turn- For hitting a blow while switching.

I tried it on some of my brothers vll 100 un ev trained pokemon and it knocks those all out in one shot, a floatzel and a flygon. and finaly a hacked arceus(normal). None of them could beat it.

Kanye West

but you can call me great
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Dec 26, 2015
    Hey, so staraptor is my favorite of the Bird starters and I decided to make a sweeper out of one.

Nature- adamant

moves:

I tried it on some of my brothers vll 100 un ev trained pokemon and it knocks those all out in one shot, a floatzel and a flygon. and finaly a hacked arceus(normal). None of them could beat it.
    It was good (and standard?) until I saw Giga Impact. aragorn, kylie, or da will probably tell you the wordy version but...
    GIGAIMPACT IS BAD ROFL don't use it unless you want to get set up on from Pokemon that actually switch into staraptor like gligar or other physical walls.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years

Nature- adamant

moves:

Kanye is correct, Giga Impact is awful. Just run Return over it, and you have yourself the standard Staraptor =3

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Since someone else asked me earlier, I'll explain why Giga Impact is bad.

First of all, the recharge turn means you can't move. This lets stuff set up on you, as well as stopping you from switching out, which is pretty bad, since you could get trapped and KOed (Staraptor is very frail.)

Giga Impact has 150 Base Power. A max happiness Return has a Base Power of 102. Two Returns will outdamage Giga Impact. 102 + 102 vs. 150 + 0 (idle turn).

252 Adamant Life Orb Staraptor Return
    vs. 252/4 Jolly Leftovers Gliscor : 52.5% - 61.9%

2 Returns will knock out max HP Gliscor.

252 Adamant Life Orb Staraptor Giga Impact
    vs. 252/4 Jolly Leftovers Gliscor : 76.6% - 90.7%

Not enough to KO most of the time.

Also, if you're going to play with this on Wi-Fi, I suggest giving it Sharp Beak instead, and/or running it with a Rapid Spinner like Forretress or Life Orb Starmie. Stealth Rock is very common among serious competitive players, and it takes 25% of Staraptor's HP on the switch-in, with each attack taking 10% away. So it's not going to live long, especially since it will take other damage, maybe even sandstorm too. Not to mention Brave Bird's recoil! Staraptor will never be long-lived, but you don't want it to die that fast.

Good luck with your Staraptor!

Well, EV training is so much simpler than I thought it was. Thanks for the help!

btw @SparkleFrog: Razor claw relys on luck and so is banned in tournaments and battles that run under hax clause (I think that's what it's called)

Ok, one more question, about IV breeding.
    How does that work, I seem to have heard about it somewhere.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part1

Nowadays, people prefer to RNG abuse (well, most), since it's faster. Significantly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    What Phs sweeper do you think is better Weavile or Absol both with standard movesets and EVs. Also do you prefer sucker punch or knock off?

I know one is OU and one is UU but this is for OU battles

Last edited:

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    Registeel - #379 (Calm): 20 - 22 / 25 - 27 / 20 - 22 / 8 - 9 / 23 - 24 / 8 - 9
    with damp rock
    level 40 caught in sapphire best i could get...

-explosion(when the time is right, detonate )

-curse (attack up, defense up, who need speed ? swellow, flygon?

-rain dance (MAKE IT RAIN!!)

-toxic or thunder wave (arsenic in you water or polio?)

it is to work as to set up rain dance for my kaubtops swimming, manctrics thunder, parascets dry skin problem.

or if you know a better set?

i was also thinking
    -raindance
    -rest
    -toxic
    -curse

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
    Is this Sunflora viable in a NU sunny day team?
    Sunflora - Timid
    Solar Power - Choice Scarf
    4 HP/252 Sp. ATK/252 Speed
    - Solar bEam
    - Grass Knot
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power Fire

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Ok' I wasnt even aware that return did that much damage 0_o and I just looked up what life orb does so I'l be using that.

Alakazam lvl 100

modest nature
    life orb
    252 spatk, 252 spd,4 hp

psychic
    energy ball
    shadow ball
    focus blast (I couldnt think of anything else)

Is this a good setup? also I could use some advice on the moves because I just used the best Sp.atk TMs i could find.

It has low defencive capabilitys but it deals truely evil damage wit

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

That's actually good moveset, unfortunately, Alakazam needs to be a Timid Nature if you're using Life Orb. Modest ones can use a Choice Scarf instead.

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
    I was planning to use a Persian as my NU rain dance team lead.

I have would like to see what do you think about this set:

PERSIAN (why can't i get the image?)

Hasty nature.
    252 speed 124 attack 128 special attack

Fake out
    U-turn
    Rain dance
    Thunder/water pulse

Should I make it only physical and get a careful nature?

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I was planning to use a Persian as my NU rain dance team lead.

I have would like to see what do you think about this set:

PERSIAN (why can't i get the image?)

Hasty nature.
    252 speed 124 attack 128 special attack

Fake out
    U-turn
    Rain dance
    Thunder/water pulse

Should I make it only physical and get a careful nature?

Make it physical, but use Jolly. Move special attack EV's into attack, replace your special move with either Taunt or Hypnosis and you're good to go.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    4th move on my bannette

I am currently training a bannette for my team and i can't seem to decide on a last move. This is what it looks like right now

Bannette@choice scarf
    Jolly
    4spD/252 att/ 252 spe
    Trick
    Sucker Punch
    Shadow Sneak
    * to be filled*

He is basically supposed to break stalls and finish of low hp pokes. i know he can learn destiny bond, taunt and confuse ray...
    Any suggestions?

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    Well my alakazam didnt go over well... I tested it on a milotic and flygon (they werent ev trained in any specific way) and my alakazam left them both with HP in the red zone and they 1 hit me with a draco meteor and hydro pump. I'd like to give it a buff move like calm mind but with its crapy defences It would just go to waist by getting OHKO'd. Back to the drawing board?

Im not really sure what to work on now... Ive gota nice garchomp with adamant nature thats a sword dance sweeper... but its not EV trained and I'd have to go through a loooooot of trouble just to make another with the right EVs.

EVs are becoming a pain in my butt really... Who on earth bothered to discover them anyway? they take the whole fun out of training...

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Alright, guys. Here's what I was thinking.
    Scizor [Technician] @ Metronome
    Adamant
    - FURY CUTTER
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - *Something else*

Fury Cutter will be bad, but only on the first turn. Second turn, it has a base power of 20, wait, 40 with technician, plus STAB, plus 10% from metronome. Two turns later? Base power 80, plus stab, plus 30% from metronome. Five turns? 160 Base power, STAB attack, 100% bonus from metronome. Bullet punch for those nasty switch-ins. Now, if it sets up first with a swords-dance...
    +2 160 Base power STAB...X2 from metronome.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    Alright, guys. Here's what I was thinking.
    Scizor [Technician] @ Metronome
    Adamant
    - FURY CUTTER
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - *Something else*

Fury Cutter will be bad, but only on the first turn. Second turn, it has a base power of 20, wait, 40 with technician, plus STAB, plus 10% from metronome. Two turns later? Base power 80, plus stab, plus 30% from metronome. Five turns? 160 Base power, STAB attack, 100% bonus from metronome. Bullet punch for those nasty switch-ins. Now, if it sets up first with a swords-dance...
    +2 160 Base power STAB...X2 from metronome.

does metronome reset when you switch out? if it does then it would be easy to just switch in a fire pokemon, and thats it.

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Metronome does reset, as does fury cutter. Then again, so does any set up. It'll pretty much be 3 and 2HKOing pokemon at three hits.

Back