• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Rate this set on Starmie?

Starmie @ Wiseglasses [Timid]
    252 Spe / 252 SpA / 6 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf [STAB]
    -Ice Beam
    -Psychic [STAB]

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    How about this, in conjunction with others?

Meganium @ Leftovers [Calm]
    252 Def / 252 Sp. Def / 6 HP
    -Synthesis
    -Toxic
    -Ingrain
    -Leech Seed

I gain health while you lose it. You're attacking me! Synthesis!

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Rate this set on Starmie?

Starmie @ Life Orb [Timid]
    252 Spe / 252 SpA / 6 HP
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf [STAB]
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover

Psychic sucks, doesn't add any coverage and makes you Pursuit bait. That and Starmie needs all the power it can get. Recover also lets you check things like Infernape and heal off SR + SS + LO damage.

~I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, if it is, please let me know what the right place is for it and I will repost it there~

Lately, I've been trying to create a team for competitive battling: my idea here is to take sweepers that have sky-high stats and/or very diverse movesets, but may need some specific context (items, moves, etc.) in order to get them ready to unleash their full power.

The first Pokemon I'm looking at is Marowak: a NU Ground-type Pokemon.
    Marowak has the second-highest base Attack stat, behind Rampardos, tied with Slaking and Regigigas, when it is holding a Thick Club. Its defense is pretty decent, but its Speed and Sp. Attack stats are low. What appeals to me is its high attack, the variety of moves it can learn, and hey, it looks pretty sleek.

Anyway, I wanted to take some advice from people to make Marowak very useful in competitive battling (even in OU). Knowing that it needs Thick Club as its item, what are the moves it should know? What pokemon should precede it? Should it be a Baton Pass-ee?

Any advice or comments are really appreciated~

Pass it Agility or something. Gliscor or the GSC combo "JoltWak" or the ADV combo "JaskWak" are also good to pass stuff to it. Zapdos is also probably the best baton passer in the game.

Marowak@Thick Club
    252 Att / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - Stone Edge

That or use it in Trick Room with Brave etc.

Ok, Meganium is not useable. Use venasaur as it resists fighting attacks and absorbs toxic spikes. It too has synthisis and the support of sleep powder.

It is usable, you just have to make it do something Venu cant do. I.E Aromatherapy and/or Screens.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Okay then.
    Now, I'm gonna post a really sucky moveset of Mix Shiftry and hopefully it's good. Rate, critique etc. please.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Shiftry @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Trait: Chlorophyll/Early Bird
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SpA / 80 HP
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sucker Punch
    - Low Kick
    - Substitute/Seed Bomb/Fake Out

Brave so you don't ruin defenses or Sp.Atk. Sucker Punch gets STAB as well as Priority. Low Kick for Rock/Steels such as Bastiodon and Armaldo. Leaf Storm is the Grass STAB on the special side of the spectrum. Last move slot can be for either subbing, Physical Grass STAB or breaking a sash or something.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Forget about the Torterra set i posted earlier. I was thinking about making a Dual Screen Starmie instead.

Starmie
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP, 126 Def, 130 SPdef.
    Moves: Light Screen, Reflect, Rapid spin, Surf.

Light Screen and Reflect are self explanetory. Rapid spin is there because my team could really need it. What do you think?

Lickeh Lickeh

Lickilicky lover
    Years
  • How bout this on Drapion.

Drapion@Leftovers
    Impish
    Battle Armor
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Attk
    Toxic Spikes
    Whirlwind
    Crunch/Cross Poison
    Taunt/Knock Off

Wich Moves should I go For?
    Out of them I would say Toxic Spikes (if you don't already have it), Crunch for better coverage then cross poison and also knock off items such as leftovers for them bulky things that are likely to stall Draipon.

Other then that it looks good, for personal use I like the Swords Dance set with the simple ev spread of 252 speed and 252 attack. Although use this more bulkier one if you're in need of covering psychic type attacks. Works brilliantly as a defensive wall if you're in need of one =D.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Forget about the Torterra set i posted earlier. I was thinking about making a Dual Screen Starmie instead.

Starmie
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP, 126 Def, 130 SPdef.
    Moves: Light Screen, Reflect, Rapid spin, Surf.

Light Screen and Reflect are self explanetory. Rapid spin is there because my team could really need it. What do you think?
    Looks good, here's some Speed points though:
    Spoiler:

I suggest 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Speed with Timid; makes it an effective Infernape check and can revenge kill Gengar.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    What are the importance of ivs? Everyone seems to want pokemon with 31 ivs and I don't understand why. I caught a spinarak which is now an ariados with 31 ivs in sp attack, sp defense and speed. I would just like an answer not a link to an answer.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    What are the importance of ivs? Everyone seems to want pokemon with 31 ivs and I don't understand why. I caught a spinarak which is now an ariados with 31 ivs in sp attack, sp defense and speed. I would just like an answer not a link to an answer.
    Higher the IVs means the higher the stats, 31 IVs = 31 stat points. With lower stats it could lose out on certain KOes, or KOed by other Pokemon. i.e. Bulky Gyarados (EVs are 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Speed) is designed so Life Orb Heatran's Fire Blast can't 2HKO with SR up, CB Scizor's Quick Attack can't 2HKO, and outruns base 115's after a DD. If Gyara has 18 Speed IVs, you would have to use 236 Speed EVs to retain its purpose, that leaves it with only 20 Atk EVs. Or, if Gyara had 6 Def IVs you would have to use 196 Def EVs to still not be 2HKOed by CB Scizor's Quick Attack.

Basically, it limits the EV "benefit" and in general makes the Pokemon's performance worse.

ShintoRuins!

OMG! It's a....... Bellsprout!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2010
    TORTERRA MOVESETS!

Is this a good Torterra moveset?

Torterra@Choice Scarf

Moveset

Superpower
    Earthquake
    Seed Bomb
    Crunch/Wood Hammer/Stone Edge

EV's

4HP / 252ATK / 252SPD

Jolly Nature +SPD -SP. ATK

Last move is personal preference :5:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2011
    I need help with my typhlosion so far it only has fire moves flame thrower + eruption + fire blast i also currently have smokescreen on it shoulf i replace smokescreen with take down or do you have a tm suggestion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys. I have yet another Pokemon that i would like to have some feedback on.

Leafeon
    Careful nature
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SPdef, 4 def
    Moves: Wish, Protect, Heal Bell and Leaf Blade.

He's a supporter. Heal bell is there because i'ts always usefull. The EVs are so he can take special attacks better. His defence is already really high. I have been thinking about putting away Leaf Blade for Roar or Yawn and make him just a supporter with no attack altough that would be risky. What do you guys think?

I know that Vaporeon is a better choice for a supporter but i just like Leafeon better :P

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm working on building a double battle team, below are the two Pokemon that I would send out first, I'm new to competitive battling so any help that anyone can give me will be appreciated.​

Clefable @ Big Root
    Adamant Nature
    128 DEF / 128 S. DEF / 252 SPD
    Drain Punch
    Belly Drum
    Meteor Mash
    Cosmic Power

Espeon @ Muscle Band
    Brave Nature
    128 HP / 252 ATK / 128 DEF
    Zen Headbutt
    Helping Hand
    Morning Sun
    Psych Up

• 1st turn: Clefable uses Belly Drum, Espeon uses Psych Up on Clefable to maximise it's attack stat.
    • 2nd turn: Clefable uses Drain Punch to recover the HP lost from Belly Drum, Espeon attacks with Zen Headbutt or uses Helping Hand to help Clefable recover more HP.​
    • Following turns: Clefable attacks with Meteor Mash or builds defences with Cosmic Power, using Drain Punch to recover HP. Espeon attacks with Zen Headbutt, uses Morning Sun to recover HP, Psych Up to copy Clefable's increased defences (If Cosmic Power has been used) or Helping Hand could be used if Clefables HP falls low.​
    Any constructive criticism?
    Thank you in advance.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hello everyone, I'm working on building a double battle team, below are the two Pokemon that I would send out first, I'm new to competitive battling so any help that anyone can give me will be appreciated.​

Clefable @ Big Root
    Adamant Nature
    Drain Punch
    Belly Drum
    Meteor Mash
    Cosmic Power

Espeon @ Muscle Band
    Brave Nature
    Zen Headbutt
    Helping Hand
    Morning Sun
    Psych Up

• 1st turn: Clefable uses Belly Drum, Espeon uses Psych Up on Clefable to maximise it's attack stat.
    • 2nd turn: Clefable uses Drain Punch to recover the HP lost from Belly Drum, Espeon attacks with Zen Headbutt or uses Helping Hand to help Clefable recover more HP.​
    • Following turns: Clefable attacks with Meteor Mash or builds defences with Cosmic Power, using Drain Punch to recover HP. Espeon attacks with Zen Headbutt, uses Morning Sun to recover HP, Psych Up to copy Clefable's increased defences (If Cosmic Power has been used) or Helping Hand could be used if Clefables HP falls low.​
    Thank you in advance.

There are much better options than Espeon, it has pathetic att. Get something that can you know, actually attack an isnt bait for anything that resists/is immune to psychic. Read : Alot.

Just use Cosmic Power + Softboiled on Clefable, you're really trying to make it do way too much. Then have your physical sweeper copy the def boosts with Psyche Up and then use Belly Drum/DD/SD etc also with your sweeper. This will make setting up easier.

Your evs are also totally random, give Clefable a defensive spread 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Sp.Def with a Calm Nature.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016

Clefable @ Big Root
    Adamant Nature
    Drain Punch
    Belly Drum
    Meteor Mash
    Cosmic Power

Espeon @ Muscle Band
    Brave Nature
    Zen Headbutt
    Helping Hand
    Morning Sun
    Psych Up

Thank you in advance.
    If you really want to have a physical psychic pokemon to use Psych Up , don't use Espeon. Use Gallade or Medicham instead.

Back