• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
Years
  • Thanks a lot for your reply. Just to confirm, I have to fight 252 Zubats and no more regardless of the level of my pokemon start and end with e.g. could have a lv 15 Snivy? Also, I can't fight a mix of pokemon right e.g. fight a mix Pidgeys and Zubats together?

Thanks again,
    Anis

Yes, you get 1 speed EV for fighting a Zubat, regardless of level. However, there are items that would make this go by much faster. Macho Brace doubles the number of EVs you get in any stat, so you would get 2 speed EVs if your Pokemon was holding a Macho Brace and defeated a Zubat. Also, the Power Anklet. It is much more efficient, it adds 4. So every time you beat a Zubat, you got 5 speeds EVs instead~

And for the last question, yes. It doesn't matter what you defeat, if they give the same EVs it has the same effect.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Haven't battled competitively in almost a year, and now that Black and White are out, I want to maybe start again. So I was just wondering if this is any good:

Chandelure @Life Orb
    Modest
    Flame Body
    252SpAtk/252Speed/4HP
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball
    - Flamethrower
    - Calm Mind

Shadow Ball and Flamethrower for STAB, Energy Ball for Water types, Calm Mind to further increase SpAtk, and Life Orb does that too. Yeah, I know this probably sucks :\

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • You are on the right track, however unless you plan to use it in a Trick Room team, I'd say to not use a +spa nature, but rather a +spe nature since Chandelure really needs all the speed it can get.
    As far as coverage goes, it doesn't necessarily have to go much further than its stabs. A SubSplit set is one of the best things that it can do imo, and while it is not as fast as Gengar, you'll notice that a LO Fire Blast will most likely wreck anything that doesn't resist it (more so than with Gengar), and you'll easily be able to kill Blissey thanks to Sub and Pain Split etc.

Also Flash Fire is afaik the superior ability, so you should probably use that :x

Shanderra @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Pain Split
    - Shadow Ball
    - Fire Blast

Years
  • I just had a few more questions:

Say I fought 252 Zubats/123 Tentacruels and my Snivy reached Lv 32, does that mean that battling Zubats/Tentacruels after this level is useless?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Anis

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • You still have 12 EVs spare. Anyhoo, you can keep training your pokemon in EVs until it's got the maximum amount of EVs or until it's level 100. It doesn't matter what level they are, as long as they can continue to gain experience.

Side note: A level 100 pokemon can still gain EVs if it doesn't have any. The problem is, it can only gain EVs through vitamins.

Diakuren

It is all for the ideal!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2011
    Hello guys, im new around these forums and i was wondering if you could give me hand in which EV spread would be better for a rayquaza.... My rayquaza is a shiny and it has really crappy stats, though, i would like to be able to use it in competitive play with my friends( not out there in the big leagues of PBR i know i would get crushed xD) It's stats are:

HP 31
    Atk 29
    Def 3
    SPatk 11
    SPdef 11
    Spd 3
    Nature: Mild

So as you may notice it isnt anything close to good lol, i've checked the smogon builds but given that this rayquaza has a really poor speed IV and an spatk boosting nature i dont have a clue on what EV spread would make it at least sighly decent in competitive play... Hope you can help me out with this.. and thanks in advance =).

Years
  • You still have 12 EVs spare. Anyhoo, you can keep training your pokemon in EVs until it's got the maximum amount of EVs or until it's level 100. It doesn't matter what level they are, as long as they can continue to gain experience.

Side note: A level 100 pokemon can still gain EVs if it doesn't have any. The problem is, it can only gain EVs through vitamins.

Sorry to bother you again, but say I'd fought 252 zubats (126 if wearing macho brace), 252 tentacools & 6 chanseys and my pokemon had reached say lv 65. Does that allow me to fight anything I want to get it to level 100, as I've maxed my EV training for that pokemon or can I train it further/give it vitamins. In addition, when EV training do I need to fight 252 zubats in a row or will the EVs be added as long as over the course of training that pokemon to level 100 I battle 252 zubats. Also, I wanted to know what IVs was about, as I heard people say they maxed a pokemons EV & IV - what does this mean?
    Finally, I'm creating a a black and white team and wanted some advice from you experts (apologies if I'm on the incorrect discussion thread for this). So far in my team of six EV'd Reshiram (Sp Atk & Spd) and EV'd Zekrom (Atk & Spd) are pretty much secured on the team, but I wanted to get a good balance of types and stats.

Thanks a lot for your time,
    Anis

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • @ Diakuren:
    I would probably say that a Swords Dance Rayquaza would be the way to go, since Dragon Dance relies far more on its speed than a SD set does (SD uses Extremespeed as its main way of damaging stuff that would outspeed it)

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 speed / 4 Defense
    - Swords Dance
    - Extremespeed
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake/Overheat

SD + ES kills stuff that's faster than you, Dragon Claw is there for a semi-mandatory stab (Outrage would make Rayquaza much easier to revenge kill due to the fact that it would lock it in the move, preventing you from using Extremespeed), and Earthquake damages Steels in general, while Overheat might be used over it to kill Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory.

@Anis:
    After you've reached 510 EVs (In your case by smacking around Zubats, Chanseys and Testacools), you have reached your limit and will not gain any EVs from fighting other pokemon, unless you remove some of them by feeding them EV-reducing berries.

You do not have to fight 252 Zubats in a row to get 252 EVs in Speed, they add up over time.

IVs = Individual values that range from 31 to 0, and determine a pokemons stats when hatched/caught. Generally speaking, a pokemon with a 0 IV in speed will (at lvl 100) have 31 points less in speed than a pokemon with a 31 IV in speed, hence, it is important to make sure that your pokemon have at least decent IVs before you start to EV train them, in order to reach their fullest potential. You can determine the IVs of a pokemon by using an Action Replay device, using various IV calculators on the web, or simply by having an IV battle (at least in Gen 4 games). If you are trying to determine the IVs of a pokemon, make sure to record how many EV it has gained, as if you lose track it will be hard/impossible to make sure what the IVs really are.

ALSO, your name creeps me out.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I was just wondering if these would be good sets for a Scolipede.

Offensive
    255atk/ 100def/ 100Sp. Atk/ 55spd
    Megahorn
    Toxic
    Venoshock
    Rock Slide/Earthquake

Megahorn for Stab, Toxic to boost Venoshock's power, Rock Slide for Coverage against Fire and Flying, Earthquake against Rock or whatever else weak to it. Sp. Atk EVs help with Venoshock. Kind of a Tank I suppose.

Defensive
    225def/ 200sp. atk/ 55spd
    Toxic
    Venoshock
    Rest
    Protect

I'm not too sure about this one. It's kind of a basic stall set. Sp. Atk for powering up Venoshock.

Years
  • Rate my dragonite

Nature is adamant at level 77

Move sets: fly, thunderbolt, aqua tail and outrage

stats: Hp: 251, Attack 279, Defense 156, Sp. Atk 175 Sp def 169 Speed 147.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'm not entirely sure of this, and I'd wait for some verification (as I can't find any currently online), but I had been told Venoshock only doubles in power when a pokemon is specifically "poisoned" and not "toxic-ed", seeing as how they're two different status conditions (i.e. Toxic increases in damage the more a pokemon stays in). Anyway, here's an offensive set suggestion:

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Scolipede@Focus Sash/Life Orb
    Jolly Nature [+Spe; -SpA]
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Protect / Swords Dance
    - Megahorn / X-Scissor / Poison Jab
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

Quite honestly, poison doesn't hit enough stuff to actually be a good attacking type, so it's not entirely suggested that you run a poison type attack. Try this set out instead. Toxic + Venoshock seems like a good idea, but there's a few hinderances to pulling it off with Scolipede, one being what I mentioned at the beginning of this post. If it's true that only the regualar "posion" status affects the base power, it loses any point it has. Also, running Toxic on him isn't the best idea as his 60/89/69 defenses are kind of shaky making the setup turn quite difficult despite his nice speed and focus sash (as the sash could easily be broken by entry hazards and the all-too-common sandstorm).

That also brings me to the my next point. I highly suggest not running a defensive Scolipede due to his poor HP and SpD, and mediocre Def.

Hope this was helpful. :]

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Nature is adamant at level 77

Move sets: fly, thunderbolt, aqua tail and outrage

stats: Hp: 251, Attack 279, Defense 156, Sp. Atk 175 Sp def 169 Speed 147.

Only thing is, Thunderpunch > Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is a special move, but your Dragonite's SpAtk is terrible. Thunderbolt won't be near as effective as Thunderpunch.

Consider Fire Punch as well. Fire Punch can hit Ice Types that Dragonite is weak to as well as Steel Types that resist Outrage and Fly.

Last edited:
    Years
  • @ Diakuren:
    I would probably say that a Swords Dance Rayquaza would be the way to go, since Dragon Dance relies far more on its speed than a SD set does (SD uses Extremespeed as its main way of damaging stuff that would outspeed it)

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
    - Swords Dance
    - Extremespeed
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake/Overheat

SD + ES kills stuff that's faster than you, Dragon Claw is there for a semi-mandatory stab (Outrage would make Rayquaza much easier to revenge kill due to the fact that it would lock it in the move, preventing you from using Extremespeed), and Earthquake damages Steels in general, while Overheat might be used over it to kill Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory.

@Anis:
    After you've reached 510 EVs (In your case by smacking around Zubats, Chanseys and Testacools), you have reached your limit and will not gain any EVs from fighting other pokemon, unless you remove some of them by feeding them EV-reducing berries.

You do not have to fight 252 Zubats in a row to get 252 EVs in Speed, they add up over time.

IVs = Individual values that range from 31 to 0, and determine a pokemons stats when hatched/caught. Generally speaking, a pokemon with a 0 IV in speed will (at lvl 100) have 31 points less in speed than a pokemon with a 31 IV in speed, hence, it is important to make sure that your pokemon have at least decent IVs before you start to EV train them, in order to reach their fullest potential. You can determine the IVs of a pokemon by using an Action Replay device, using various IV calculators on the web, or simply by having an IV battle (at least in Gen 4 games). If you are trying to determine the IVs of a pokemon, make sure to record how many EV it has gained, as if you lose track it will be hard/impossible to make sure what the IVs really are.

ALSO, your name creeps me out.

Say I fought 252 zubats and 252 tentacools and only wanted to train to level 60, will all the EVs be added by this time? Also, how can I make sure my pokemon have good IVs to start with? Thanks for your time.

P.S. my name is Arabic for friend/companion, so I'm not scary honest lol

Years
  • Only thing is, Thunderpunch > Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is a special move, but your Dragonite's SpAtk is terrible. Thunderbolt won't be near as effective as Thunderpunch.

Consider Fire Punch as well. Fire Punch can hit Ice Types that Dragonite is weak to as well as Steel Types that resist Outrage and Fly.

Ty for your reply. I have change thunderbolt into fire punch. I also tried my best to learn how to ev train. This is my first team that I have ev train it. I already have a thunder punch on my team so I need a fire move. I'm going to use fire punch instead.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Say I fought 252 zubats and 252 tentacools and only wanted to train to level 60, will all the EVs be added by this time? Also, how can I make sure my pokemon have good IVs to start with? Thanks for your time.

Yep, everything is added by then. Like I said earlier, level doesn't matter, just the number of EVs and where they're placed does. As for IVs, you'd have to IV breed them, or in the case of gen 3 and 4, RNG them. It takes a lot of patience to get the IVs you want onto your pokemon.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
  • I wanted to request a moveset for a Standalone Seismitoad,
    It must be an attacker and not a wall and must not be a rain dancer,
    it must ingame friendly moveset
    Thanks

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • I wanted to request a moveset for a Standalone Seismitoad,
    It must be an attacker and not a wall and must not be a rain dancer,
    it must ingame friendly moveset
    Thanks
    In game friendly?? oooh, toughy...
    The nature I would recommend a neutral nature. He needs his defense and a mix attacker in game is always more convenient.
    I would say;
    Surf/Scald/Hydro pump
    Sludge Bomb
    Earthquake
    Grass Knot/Drain Punch.

Diakuren

It is all for the ideal!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2011
    @ Diakuren:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
    - Swords Dance
    - Extremespeed
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake/Overheat

Thanks for the reply, Opposite Day =), i was thinking it would be a waste to leave the hp IV untouched but youre right, since i dont plan to go into the big leagues of competitive play that build should be more than enough and the mild nature gives me a small boost in overheat to be more safe when killing pokemon that dont have the x4 weakness to fire.

Thanks again!

Kirkland

show me my silver lining
    Years

• Can I request a moveset/nature/ev spread for Cryognal? It looks interestingly
    weird but I've never really made a proper team before so I need some help to
    start off with. ^^; I'm not really sure where to start.

Back