• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    I was reading the ban list and saw manaphy on it, I have never even tried competitive battling yet, but can some one explain to me how the thing is even useful at all? every time I even try to train one in-game it just gets so frustrating I just box it in favor of another water type

Manaphy is capable of sweeping whole teams in the rain. It gets bulky defenses (100/100/100) and an excellent boosting move in Tail Glow. Tail Glow boosts its special attack by +3, so in 2 turns it's capable of getting to +6, the max boosts. It also gets hydration rest so you can't hurt it with status and it can instantly heal itself.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    Manaphy is capable of sweeping whole teams in the rain. It gets bulky defenses (100/100/100) and an excellent boosting move in Tail Glow. Tail Glow boosts its special attack by +3, so in 2 turns it's capable of getting to +6, the max boosts. It also gets hydration rest so you can't hurt it with status and it can instantly heal itself.

Tail Glow only increases SpA by +2. If it did +3, that thing would be banned without question. So it takes three turns to reach +6 (which quadruples the SpA stat).

I must not be as "hip" with Gen 5 as I thought. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    Tail Glow only increases SpA by +2. If it did +3, that thing would be banned without question. So it takes three turns to reach +6 (which quadruples the SpA stat).

No, it changed in generation 5.

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
    I've got a question about pokérus.
    It just doubles the EV gain in battle, not the ones you get with proteins, calcium and those things, right?
    If I check the pokémon and it has a little red star over it, it means it has pokérus and it's cured? Does it double the EVs even if it's already cured?

Years
    It just doubles the EV gain in battle, not the ones you get with proteins, calcium and those things, right?
    If I check the pokémon and it has a little red star over it, it means it has pokérus and it's cured? Does it double the EVs even if it's already cured?

red star over it means shiny pokemon....i get normal EV when PKRS alrady cured..

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years

Yes it only double battle gained Ev's not the drinks.

The red star stands for a shiny Pokemon. A small smiley face stands for Cured Pokerus, and no when a Pokemon is cured, all the Pokerus effects go with it u_u

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Need Help with Battle Frontier Team

My team is nearly finished, but I still need help with moves and where to spend EV's.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Levitate

Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Sludge Bomb
    Psychic

Crazy Speed and Special Attack combined with a vast moveset to OHKO many types of pokes. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb for STAB. No Thunderbolt or Dark Pulse because of other Pokemon in team.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
    42 HP / 156 Sp. Attack / 156 Defense / 156 Sp. Defense
    Nature: Mild
    Ability: Volt Absorb

Surf / Hydro Pump (Choose One)
    Thunderbolt / Thunder (Choose One)
    Ice Beam / Blizzard (Choose One)
    Undecided (Maybe Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, or Aqua Ring?)

Lasts long with over 400 HP and high Defense / Sp. Defense. Can still pack a punch with high Sp. Attack and strong moves. Possible Thunder Wave to make up for the lack of speed and contribute to the team. Possible Confuse Ray or Aqua Ring to reduce hits on Lanturn or increase health regeneration each turn.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
    252 Attack / 88 HP / 84 Defense / 84 Sp. Defense
    Nature: Gentle
    Trait: Guts

Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Outrage

Good HP, Defense, and Sp. Defense for more survivability while dominating others with its insane attack and powerful moves. Focus Sash to protect OHKO Fighting moves. Can't do much about the nature. Stone Edge and Crunch for STAB. Guts trait to boost attack and prevent from damaging teammates with Sandstorm.

Need most help with moves and EV's. All help is appreciated!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    No, no, no. You can do much better than this.
    Individual analysis:

Gengar
    Quiet removes one big advantage of Gengar: its speed. With Quiet, you're left with a slow, frail Pokemon that will get KOed before it can launch a single attack. Timid is much better, Modest is acceptable too.
    Destiny Bond is a must-have, since the AI will suicide itself on Gengar. Except in the Battle Castle, where getting KOed reduces your CP earned. In that case, you shouldn't be using Gengar.

Lanturn
    Starmie does a much better job than Lanturn due to higher Speed and Sp. Att. If you're looking for a setup sweeper, use Calm Mind Suicune.

Tyranitar
    First off, Tyranitar's only ability is Sand Stream. Larvitar/Pupitar will change its ability when it evolves.
    Having 4 damaging moves warrants a Choice item. And a 4-move attacking set is not Tyranitar's best: it can use Dragon Dance too.
    Stone Edge has been called "the worst attack in DPP" because it misses so often. Outrage does the same damage as a STAB Crunch, so it's redundant. Stick with Crunch and Earthquake. The remaining two move slots can be Dragon Dance and Substitute/elemental punch.
    Lastly if you're using a Tyranitar, it'll help if you have something to take advantage of sandstorm, like Garchomp.

EV wise, for sweepers or defensive setup Pokemon, use a 252/252/6 set. For Pokemon with priority moves, like Scizor, put enough speed to outrun things that need to be KOed by their non-priority moves (e.g. Scizor needs 98 Speed to outrun Heatran and OHKO with Superpower/Brick Break), and dump the rest in defenses.

Buizark

Always looking for an OU match
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2016
    Yes it only double battle gained Ev's not the drinks.

The red star stands for a shiny Pokemon. A small smiley face stands for Cured Pokerus, and no when a Pokemon is cured, all the Pokerus effects go with it u_u
    Wrong.When Pokerus is cured the SPREADING effect is gone.Doubling EV's stays.

Years
    Wish blissey

Well, i'd like to know how to get one?
    I heard u can only get it from an even in new york about 5? Years ago.
    So, how do i get one now? Do i have to trade with someone who has one?
    Can they breed a chansey with something to get another chansey with wish?
    And if i do trade, how do i know if it's hacked or not?
    What would i have to trade for one?

Lotta questions in there xD but thanks to anyone who answers them.

Jonke

Fairy Master
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2014
    [Rate my Pokemon] Latias

Hi

I wonder what u guys think about this Latias, want to know if i should save or try to catch a new one.

Pokemon: Latias
    Acquired: Met at lvl 35, Route 6
    Shiny: No
    Nature: Timid
    Item: none
    IV's: 13 HP, 13 attack, 18 defense, 27 special attack, 27 special defense, 1 speed
    EV' s: none atm

Speed IVs so bad , thats why i ask here if i should try catch again.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    Hi

I wonder what u guys think about this Latias, want to know if i should save or try to catch a new one.

Pokemon: Latias
    Acquired: Met at lvl 35, Route 6
    Shiny: No
    Nature: Timid
    Item: none
    IV's: 13 HP, 13 attack, 18 defense, 27 special attack, 27 special defense, 1 speed
    EV' s: none atm

Speed IVs so bad , thats why i ask here if i should try catch again.

Those ivs are mediocre at best, try and get the Ivs of HP, defense and speed to be like the sp.att and dp.def ones.

Well, i'd like to know how to get one?
    I heard u can only get it from an even in new york about 5? Years ago.
    So, how do i get one now? Do i have to trade with someone who has one?
    Can they breed a chansey with something to get another chansey with wish?
    And if i do trade, how do i know if it's hacked or not?
    What would i have to trade for one?

Lotta questions in there xD but thanks to anyone who answers them.

Wish/Sweet Scent Chansey event - December 16, 2004 – January 2, 2005.
    These Pokemon were distributed as eggs, containing only the two moves mentioned. Eggs hatched at level 5 in the Advance Generation. Eggs must be hatched to be transferred in Pal Park.These Pokemon are some of the only promotional Pokemon that
    should have come from Kanto. It is possible that an egg was distributed and later traded over, but highly unlikely.

OT – Hatcher
    ID - Hatcher

So yeah these are incredibly rare. Your options are either Pokesaving one or finding someone with one, with the latter i wish (lolpun) the best of luck with that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    OK.

Gengar:

I like his moveset but I will definitely try to get a different nature. Probably timid.

Lanturn:

I have Lanturn over Starmie because of its very high hp and decent defenses. Lasts alot longer than Starmie and has electric moves as well. Still need help with moves. I will change Ev's to 40 HP, 236 Defense, 236 Sp. Defense in order to keep its HP over 400 and have awesome defense. Will do much less damage though. What nature would be best for this poke?

Tyranitar:

Will get rid of Outrage for... idk. Still wanna keep Stone Edge because with STAB it does 150 base damage. Even with 80 Accuracy thats a ton. Still unsure of Ev's. For sure want the 252 in Attack to utilize Tyranitar's insane Attack base stat. Will try for Adamant Nature.

More help needed. And is this a bit better?

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    You are using Lanturn for attacking, so Speed and Special Attack are more important than defenses. Starmie also learns Surf, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, and with higher Speed and Sp. Att it's the far superior choice.

For Tyranitar, Crunch is already very good as a main attack - it's 120BP with 20% chance of "I win" (Def down usually means the next hit will KO). Stone Edge has the same average BP (150*0.8), but since it has a chance to miss it is a lot more unreliable. Either Substitute or an elemental punch would be better - Substitute protects you from status, critical hits and OHKO moves, while elemental punches provide coverage (e.g. Thunderpunch can hit Gyarados for super-effective).
    If you want Dragon Dance on Tyranitar you'll have to breed, but it's a very good move. Speed boosting allows you to get the drop on what would be faster, like the Gyarados mentioned earlier. If using a DD set, use Jolly with 252 in Speed and Attack.
    If you're using an all-out attacker, a Choice Scarf would be best, since it patches up Tyranitar's poor Speed. The last two attacks could be elemental punches.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    So I was wondering

So I was wondering how do you get a flawless pokemon or perfect IV's and EV's Im new to online pokemon and want to get all of this down.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Dragon Team

Flygon @ Life Orb
    Ev's: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
    Nature: Adamant

Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

Very high attack and speed combined with Life Orb OHKO a lot. Outrage because with STAB it has a base power of 180 compared to Dragon Claw's 120. Earthquake with STAB. Stone Edge because of high power and super effective against ice.

Altaria @ Leftovers
    Ev's: 252 HP / 129 Defense / 129 Sp. Defense
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    Ability: Natural Cure

Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Roost
    Sing

Great Sp. Defense combined with good HP and Defense makes for a good wall. Roost and leftovers to increase survivability. Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower to utilize the higher Sp. Attack and deal some damage. Sing to immobilize pokes while slowly taking them out with attacks.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    EV's: 252 HP / 192 Sp. Attack / 64 Speed
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Swift Swim

Rain Dance
    Surf
    Draco Meteor
    Ice Beam

Rain Dance combined with Swift Swim gives a 2x bonus to speed and a 1.5 bonus to STAB Surf. Draco Meteor with STAB gives a base damage of 210, which is enough to put a big dent in any pokemon, and Ice Beam is there to take out anything ice is special effective against. 252 Ev's in HP to give Kingdra time to throw out Rain Dance and follow it up with many attacks.

Note: This team is purely for fun in the battle frontier. It is by no means a top tier team. All help is greatly appreciated. Most help is needed with Kingdra's Ev's =D

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    So I was wondering how do you get a flawless pokemon or perfect IV's and EV's Im new to online pokemon and want to get all of this down.

If you're playing on a simulator like Pokemon Online, you can control each of these factors.
    On cart, there are two ways:
    1) Create the Pokemon with Pokegen/Pokesav, then transfer it to your cart via Action Replay/GTS abuse. (However, if you're playing against someone else, please say that "I use legal hacks".)
    2) Learn to RNG abuse. Details can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/
    With RNG abuse, the only luck-based factor is whether or not you hit your delay. Most people have a delay range of 10, and since delays are consistently odd/even, the odds of hitting your delay are about 1 in 5 or 6.
    The rest of RNG abuse consists solely of flipping through your Journal the correct number of times.

Back