• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rethinking Pokemon games

Years
  • I'm sure this idea has been thought up by people before, but I just wanna bring it to this forum. What if the Pokemon games were to change into a more traditional RPG style game. For the most part, the story will remain the same, but the maps wouldn't remain 2D, the new game could be more 3D so the characters are free to roam around, like in the Final Fantasy series.

Also, the biggest change would be in the concept of battling. Instead of keeping the traditional rock, paper, and scissors on drugs concept, the player controls the Pokemon in a more arcade style fighting system. When the Pokemon is sent out, the player then must use a string of combos and etc to execute battles and special moves. For example, when I begin battle with Brock, I become my Bulbasaur and must press specific buttons that act as razor leaf or vine whip. Of course, in order to get certain moves, it is still necessary to level up.

Of course, this type of game would really only work with Generation 1 and 2, but I feel this would be a great step in the Pokemon gaming world. But if people really wanted double battles, it could simply be a multiplayer option. None the less, I would love to hear what you guys think and if there are any people who know how to make video games, I'd love to partner up and bring this to Nintendo. Or if this is actually a good idea, I guess people would probably choose to steal it instead... but at the same time I feel this idea won't be given any life...

Anyways, what do you all think? I feel this thread could just be a place for us Pokemon fans to rethink the game and pitch in our own ideas!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gonna kick this over to PGC since it's about video games and not the franchise in general.

Edit: and now I'll actually reply to this...

I can't see an arcade-style fighting game ever working with this kind of game. I mean, just look at how many Pokemon there are. It would be insane to give each one a unique set of moves, and if they don't all have unique sets of moves, there's kind of no point in using a lot of them. The stats and such in a Pokemon battle are easy to insert in - a set of attacks and combos and such in an arcade fighting game are not at all.

Not sure what you mean by 3D maps though, as Pokemon does have a 3D map and you are free to roam around pretty much wherever you want. Could you elaborate on what you mean by that point?

Overall I feel like a game that removes so much of what the game already has really wouldn't be...Pokemon. While it may have the name, it would make it into a different genre and different style with a different fanbase so it would be like Pokemon v2, losing the old fans to get new ones.

Last edited:

Knight of Time

I like Homestuck
    Years
  • Tbh the ideas you listed aren't bad, but they seem to be too much of a mix of things to be called original, it can't work for mainstream.
    Yet, it seems to be a good idea, but I don't think we can scratch off the R-P-S system

Greg.

Elite Four
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2012
    I'm not sure, I'm so used to the current system! It would have to be done really well to work though I think.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The fighting ideas that were proposed sound cool, but like the people above mentioned, it may sound like a bit too much.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I agree with every poster above. It is really a great idea (I am a big fan of this kind of games: Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Dante's, Shogun's Blade, Dynasty Warriors). However, i still think that this kind of gaming is such a diversion to the mainstream Pokemon gaming. Frankly, it would remove much of the Pokemon feel in the game.

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • I don't think it would work if it was a main series game.

But it's a pretty nice idea for a spin-off.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    As for a mainstream game, I can't really see this happening. The mainstream games serve a purpose for us to explore a region and its gym leaders as well as the region's exclusive Pokemon. With the 3D gaming RPG, I feel like that would be taking away from it and it would focus more on the action part of it more than anything.

I'm iffy on the arcade-style. It reminds me a lot like Super Smash Bros Brawl. The Pokemon Trainer had Pokemon, as well as a few other Pokemon characters, and the combo thing would be really difficult seeing that you're battling at least 100 trainers in the region, not to mention the gyms and the Elite Four.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I really seem to prefer turn based fighting to this half action half turns stuff that most new rpgs are using.

Back