• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reviewing Pokémon Starters!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • tumblr_mf3xjqfEoU1rz893lo1_500.png

All of Kirby's Starter Pokémon forms... except for Gen 6 ones. And Pikachu.
    Fitting for my Kirby-based collab, isn't it? (Source: Tumblr)

So... yep, I've decided that I'll review many starter Pokémon through my perspective, and why I like them. Pokémon has introduced many starters, after all.

001.gif
    Bulbasaur
    A kind-hearted Pokémon, this Pokémon is an ideal choice, in fact, I find it easier to use Bulbasaur among the three Kanto Starters, especially when it's learning Leech Seed move that can be handy at some point.

004.gif
    Charmander
    Charmander has been a very popular choice for almost all Pokémon fans. In fact, this cute little thing can evolve into an awesome-looking Charizard, and Ash's Charizard in the anime hypes Charmander lines too. It have the potential to become a Dragon Pokémon via Mega Stone as well, so it's one of the most recommended starter Pokémon.

007.gif
    Squirtle
    Squirtle is pretty good, it learns some good moves like Water Gun and Water Pulse, and it can Withdraw itself into its shell as line of defense. Not to mention that Squirtle will become an awesome looking Blastoise, which is a blast!

chikorita.gif
    Chikorita
    I must say this, Grass-type starter Pokémon never look this charming, and one of the most well-known moves that Chikorita use is Razor Leaf. It grows into a giant flower of Meganium, just like how Bulbasaur did as Venusaur.

cyndaquil.gif
    Cyndaquil
    Back then, I have no idea which species Cyndaquil was based of, but when I find out, I think, it's unusual for echidna to become Fire-type like this. Despite of it, I like Cyndaquil in overall, and it started to grow at me.

totodile.gif
    Totodile
    Totodile is energetic, as depicted in Pokémon anime. And its jaws are strong too, which makes Bite and Crunch attack potent. It may be small, but once it grows into Feraligatr, prepare to see its true strength in battle.

treecko.gif
    Treecko
    It's one of my favorite Grass Starter, no doubt, especially when I evolve it into Grovyle. Even though I'm not quite liking Sceptile, Treecko line is still awesome at its own.

torchic.gif
    Torchic
    It's surprising to see a cute chicken Pokémon, evolves into a strong fighter (and it's Fighting type to take into account) which is ranked Ubers in Smogon, and it's taken further when it becomes Mega Blaziken! Torchic lines sure are very awesome.

mudkip.gif
    Mudkip
    Mudkip is pretty cute and adorable for a Water starter Pokémon, even though I'm not quite a big fan of its evolutions. Mudkip is very popular that it spawns some memes, notably when you herd that someone liek Mudkipz.

turtwig.gif
    Turtwig
    Turtwig may look like a small plant, but when it evolves as Torterra, it will become a mini forest that the other Pokémon lives on. It may be a little slow, but its strength is unrivaled.

chimchar.gif
    Chimchar
    Hoo boy, how do I like Chimchar, especially when I see that it looks badass when it's in Blaze ability, and it's even more badass when Infernape (its evolution) tapped it. I like how it is showcased in Pokémon anime, the anime sure have hyped it up in a good way.

piplup.gif
    Piplup
    Piplup is a good Pokémon, and it's so adorable. Piplup might be the proudest starter Pokémon that I ever know, and it's more even prouder that its evolution gains resistance thanks to the secondary type that it adds when it is an Empoleon.

snivy.gif
    Snivy
    Was fan-nicknamed as Smugleaf when it was revealed, it looks pretty smart for a Pokémon starter. I started to like it more when I find out that this little snake's final evolution, Serperior, is regal-looking.

tepig.gif
    Tepig
    Tepig is one interesting starter Pokémon, I like how it shakes its head amusingly when it is happy in Pokémon-Amie. But I'm sad when I see that it was hated due to its final evolution (Emboar), in fact, I was wondering why I can't find Pokémon Getter toy (which contains a Pokémon and a Pokéball to catch it) that includes Tepig, when I see that Oshawott and Snivy is in. Poor little piggy :(

oshawott.gif
    Oshawott
    It's our cute little Otter, as told by Ash himself in the Pokémon anime. The anime itself loves to focus on its overall cuteness, and it looks cute in game as well. For some reason I love how it uses its Scalchop, the shell-shaped blade that is in its belly. But despite of its cuteness, it have the potential to become a badass as well.

tumblr_mswpw2Xjug1r8sc3ro1_1280.jpg

Chespin - Adorable, cute and ready to battle, it's one way of describing how Chespin line is. Its Hidden Ability makes it so sturdy that it resists any ball or bomb-based moves. Not to mention that its final form is Grass and Fighting type, just like Virizion.

Fennekin - Probably one of the most cute Fire starter Pokémon ever. Even though Delphox's reveal did turn some down, it's still one of the good starter Pokémon to choose. And seeing Fennekin lines reminds me of Cardcaptor (Sakura) at some point, how Braixen twirls its stick, and just using it without twirling as Delphox to show how pro it is, just like Sakura did with her magical stick.

Froakie - Fast, agile, and formidable in battle, it's one of the things that makes Froakie stands out beyond the others. Its Hidden Ability, Protean, is widely used in competitive battling because it makes the battle twist that can change the tide of battle. Froakie line is destined to be badass, for sure.

Here's all of the 18 starter Pokémon, and if Pokémon will enter Generation VII at any time soon, I hope Game Freak and the others will introduce 3 new starter Pokémon with interesting designs and personalities. Until then!

THE KIRBY TURTWIG IS THE CUTEST THING EVER OMFG I WANT IT RIGHT NOW

Back