• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Revising my team

Years
  • I finished breeding and training my team:

Mega Sableye @ Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster/Magic Guard
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA
    Moves:
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover

Heatran @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Moves:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Taunt

Serperior @ Miracle Seed/Focus Sash
    Ability: Contrary
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Moves:
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Knock Off
    - Gastro Acid

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
    Moves:
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    Moves:
    - Wish
    - Protect/Substitute
    - Heal Bell
    - Hyper Voice

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves:
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - Thunder Wave

I have been testing my team out in battles, and I noticed a few things. First, except for Serperior, my team lacks speed. Second, I lack anything to deal with Fire types, such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard; and other than Heatran, I don't have much to deal with Steel types. Third - and this is the most glaring problem with my team, which I somehow failed to see before - it is entirely specially based, so it will have a very hard time dealing with specially defensive teams, such as Calm Mind Sableye and Espeon, etc. I was thinking of replacing Togekiss, as I like the synergy of the rest of the team. Do you have any recommendations? I was considering Choice Scarf Excadrill or Choice Scarf Garchomp. I would do Choice Scarf Terrakion, as I had originally intended, but my 4 IV, which has a Jolly nature and perfect IVs in HP, Atk, Def, and Spe, has only a 7 in SpD, which is just not going to cut it. Any thoughts?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I finished breeding and training my team:

Mega Sableye @ Sablenite
    Moves:
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover

Heatran @ Rocky Helmet
    Moves:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Taunt

Serperior @ Miracle Seed/Focus Sash
    Ability: Contrary
    Nature: Timid
    Moves:
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Knock Off
    - Gastro Acid

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Moves:
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    Moves:
    - Wish
    - Protect/Substitute
    - Heal Bell
    - Hyper Voice

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves:
    - Nasty Plot
    - Air Slash
    - Aura Sphere
    - Thunder Wave

I have been testing my team out in battles, and I noticed a few things. First, except for Serperior, my team lacks speed. Second, I lack anything to deal with Fire types, such as Talonflame and Mega Charizard; and other than Heatran, I don't have much to deal with Steel types. Third - and this is the most glaring problem with my team, which I somehow failed to see before - it is entirely specially based, so it will have a very hard time dealing with specially defensive teams, such as Calm Mind Sableye and Espeon, etc. I was thinking of replacing Togekiss, as I like the synergy of the rest of the team. Do you have any recommendations? I was considering Choice Scarf Excadrill or Choice Scarf Garchomp. I would do Choice Scarf Terrakion, as I had originally intended, but my 4 IV, which has a Jolly nature and perfect IVs in HP, Atk, Def, and Spe, has only a 7 in SpD, which is just not going to cut it. Any thoughts?

Air Balloon is a better item to use on Heatran than Rocky Helmet. It lets Heatran dodge Ground attacks even if the item is one time use only.

I don't think Gastro Acid is useful on Serperior. Serperior can already eliminate Azumarill and Diggersby, the premier Huge Power users, with a Leaf Storm. If you can't breed for the right Hidden Power type. (Fire is preferred), use Taunt to better deal with defensive Pokemon

Just use the Terrakion. Defensive IVs don't matter on offensive Pokemon IMO.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    To be honest it looks like something i was wanting to achieve with a team i tossed together today.

I'd suggest swapping either Togekiss or Sylveon for Azumarill. This still gives you the coverage on dragons but it also gives you the coverage for fire type pokemon that you were talking about earlier. On top of that this gives you a physical attacker as well. You are doubled up on fairy type pokes, so it might be worth cutting one for something else. Since Sableye is week to fairy maybe a Scizor for the priority bullet punch?

What i just suggested is more or less based off of my team which is as follows.

Mega Sableye @ Sablenite
    Moves:
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover

Heatran @ Air Baloon
    Moves:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Taunt/Toxic ((i like Toxic personally as its a back up toxic user for my Porygon2))

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Moves:
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    Narture: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP ((i forget the exact numbers for the rest. Its a custom Scizor so it has some Attack EVs and some SPDef EV's to give it 120 def, and 121 Spdef))
    Moves:
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off
    - Bullet Punch

Azumarill @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
    Moves:
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Superpower
    - Playrough

Mew @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
    Moves:
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Soft Boiled
    - Defog
    - Knock Off

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • To be honest it looks like something i was wanting to achieve with a team i tossed together today.

I'd suggest swapping either Togekiss or Sylveon for Azumarill. This still gives you the coverage on dragons but it also gives you the coverage for fire type pokemon that you were talking about earlier. On top of that this gives you a physical attacker as well. You are doubled up on fairy type pokes, so it might be worth cutting one for something else. Since Sableye is week to fairy maybe a Scizor for the priority bullet punch?

What i just suggested is more or less based off of my team which is as follows.

Mega Sableye @ Sablenite
    Moves:
    - Calm Mind
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover

Heatran @ Air Baloon
    Moves:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Taunt/Toxic ((i like Toxic personally as its a back up toxic user for my Porygon2))

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Moves:
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Narture: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP ((i forget the exact numbers for the rest. Its a custom Scizor so it has some Attack EVs and some SPDef EV's to give it 120 def, and 121 Spdef))
    Moves:
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off
    - Bullet Punch

Azumarill @ Choice Band
    Ability: Huge Power
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
    Moves:
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Superpower
    - Playrough

Mew @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
    Moves:
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Soft Boiled
    - Defog
    - Knock Off

248 HP is preferred on Scizor as opposed to 252, as this makes its HP divisible by 8 at level 100; this is important because if Scizor switches into Stealth Rock 8 times with 252 HP EVs (assuming no prior damage), it gets KOed. 248 EVs lets it switch into Stealth Rock one more time. Choice Band Scizor needs (near-) max HP and max Attack to do what it does best: tank hits and hit back hard.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    248 HP is preferred on Scizor as opposed to 252, as this makes its HP divisible by 8 at level 100; this is important because if Scizor switches into Stealth Rock 8 times with 252 HP EVs (assuming no prior damage), it gets KOed. 248 EVs lets it switch into Stealth Rock one more time. Choice Band Scizor needs (near-) max HP and max Attack to do what it does best: tank hits and hit back hard.

Its not choice banded though, i went with leftovers since i'm also using roost on it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Its not choice banded though, i went with leftovers since i'm also using roost on it.

Mega Scizor generally outperforms its regular form because of its better bulk. The only time that regular Scizor is used is as a Choice Band attacker for more immediate power, or as an offensive Swords Dance setter when the Mega slot is already taken up:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Knock Off/Pursuit
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Mega Scizor generally outperforms its regular form because of its better bulk. The only time that regular Scizor is used is as a Choice Band attacker for more immediate power, or as an offensive Swords Dance setter when the Mega slot is already taken up:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    -Knock Off/Pursuit
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bug Bite
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Well thats all fine and dandy but its not the purpose i wanted it for. I pointed out one of the reasons i wanted it in the team but i'm not sure if you just didn't read it or didn't see it.

Anyways, i wanted it for the stab priority move to take out fairy pokes with. Which, it does perfectly fine the way i have it set up. I don't think i've ever had it fail to OHKO a fairy even at full HP. Second reason i wanted it was to cover weaknesses that other pokes have that it resists. In this case i wanted it to be bulky. So, a full blown attacker as you describe is not the purpose i want it to serve. I want it to be able to take special and physical hits equally well so that it can switch into special and physical moves that some of its teammates can't take and not be penalized to hard for it. Unless you can actually suggest something that does the exact thing i have this Scizor set up for, i'm not changing it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Well thats all fine and dandy but its not the purpose i wanted it for. I pointed out one of the reasons i wanted it in the team but i'm not sure if you just didn't read it or didn't see it.

Anyways, i wanted it for the stab priority move to take out fairy pokes with. Which, it does perfectly fine the way i have it set up. I don't think i've ever had it fail to OHKO a fairy even at full HP. Second reason i wanted it was to cover weaknesses that other pokes have that it resists. In this case i wanted it to be bulky. So, a full blown attacker as you describe is not the purpose i want it to serve. I want it to be able to take special and physical hits equally well so that it can switch into special and physical moves that some of its teammates can't take and not be penalized to hard for it. Unless you can actually suggest something that does the exact thing i have this Scizor set up for, i'm not changing it.

Roost + 3 attacks Scizor (whether regular or Mega) isn't as effective anymore because it's totally dependent on team support to be effective. One of the main draws of using Scizor is having the immediate power of Choice Band or posing a threat with Swords Dance-boosted attacks. Even though Mega Scizor does bulky Swords Dance better, regular Scizor could still pull it off to a much lesser extent:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Knock Off/U-turn/Superpower
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 248 HP/44 Atk/216 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Years
  • Thank you for the replies. PlatinumDude, I will definitely try out the Choice Scarf Terrakion and see how it fares. Karma89, that is cool how similar our teams are! I think I'm going to replace Togekiss with Choice Scarf Terrakion or Choice Scarf Garchomp. I will try both and see which one works better for my team and against the metagame. I really like Sylveon over Azumarill because it provides that Wish support, and its Hyper Voice can break through Substitute, which is a major feature of the metagame right now. But I really like your team and I bet it does really well! Thanks for the suggestions.

Years
  • By the way, Karma89, I just noticed something about your team and I felt compelled to say something about it. Overall I like it, but I must say that I do not promote using the same item on multiple Pokemon (you have Leftovers on two Pokemon). Although theoretically that is strategic, it is inconsistent with even Pokemon's official rules, and I think it is slightly underhanded. But other than that, your team seems very cool.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    They removed that rule about a month or so ago. So its actually all legal now.

Back