• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Revolution is now Wii

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
    The reason its called Wii is because its pronounced like We so in every language they'll know how to say and its so it means that the machine is for everyone. I read that on Game Spot

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Kurosaki said:
    No offense, but those are SAD reasons for giving up gaming. Oo
    You'll feel the same way if 4Kids took over anything for your favorite games. That just makes me want to boycott Sonic games as well as the anime they dub.

4Kids and Wii = biggest mistakes in life.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Strawberry Delcatty said:
    You'll feel the same way if 4Kids took over anything for your favorite games. That just makes me want to boycott Sonic games as well as the anime they dub.

...You're judging Wii based on it's name, which is just plan dumb, for one. Second of all, the Sonic series is one of my favourite series, and I never really noticed the change. Like I said, they aren't good reasons for quitting gaming.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Strawberry Delcatty said:

To be fair, Sonic X did have a good cast, compared to the Japanese ones at least.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 12, 2014
    i was hoping to be the one to annunce its new name. i found out earlier to day. oh well. i prefer revolution

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Midnight Shadow said:
    i was hoping to be the one to annunce its new name. i found out earlier to day. oh well. i prefer revolution

You're not the only one. We ALL do.

Kurosaki said:
    ...You're judging Wii based on it's name
    Well, can you imagine all the sick jokes about it'll eventually lead to?

I think I'll leave it at that so I won't cause flame wars.

Years
    The name has an ok ring to it. I don't think it's that bad. The name "Revolution" could have been precieved as meaning something more than it could offer. By saying that this system would revolutionize gaming.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    First off, quitting gaming over a name is stupid.

Now on to the real matter at hand. I'm not going to treat this name as I did with the Revolution controller when I first saw it.
    The name is strange yes. But it isn't half bad. I kind of like the two ii things and the whole get together thing in the name. Nintendo isn't the brightest when it comes to system names, "Game Boy", "Super Nintendo", "Game Cube", "DS". Them names you may or may not like. But they could have came up with some real big flashy name that sounds really really cool. But as we all know they don't (infact no one does, "PlayStation", "XBox" and so on).
    The name "Revolution" wouldn't have worked, as Blaze (Revo) has said many times in the Nintendo Fan Club (everyone go out and join the club XD) they'd have copyrights, and all sorts of junk to deal with. And it's also not very original when it comes to names. Wii wouldn't be the name I'd pick (then again I wouldn't go with "Dual Screen", or "Super Nintendo", or "Game Boy" and so on), I'd like to see something that sounds better. But Nintendo does tend to have meanings behind their system names ("Dual Screen", "Game Cube", "N64" etc) and looks like yet again they've went the same way.

I might add, the name isn't going to kill anyone. And I really don't think the name is going to drive away people from buying one (It's also not going to pull them in, no name does). Anyone who changed their mind on not to buy one just because of the name, is stupid. Or they were looking for a reason to not buy one.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
    I will bet you 10 million dollars that the name is still the Revolution...why would they change it before E3 why not announce a new name at E3...duh...but maybe Nintendo is smoking too many shrooms while prentending they are Mr. Jump Man...

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Chase Leader said:
    I will bet you 10 million dollars that the name is still the Revolution...why would they change it before E3 why not announce a new name at E3...duh...but maybe Nintendo is smoking too many shrooms while prentending they are Mr. Jump Man...
    I do hope you have 10 Mil, because the name is Wii (why stick it on their website if it's not true?).

Pokemon Master XD

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2006
    Wow! I want a wii! When I get my Wii, i'm gonna play with it all night long! I just better not let my wii get wet. T_T

Years
    As was pointed out by Allstories, it's clever marketing. They have dozens of ways to use it commercially.

While you're at it, you may want to read this. Especially if you dislike the name Wii.

Years
    "Liek omg teh wii is a stpid nme i r not guna by it cuz the nme sys all bout it"

Some dude said something like that
    It could be called
    "We like cheese!"
    and it wouldn't change anything about the console

Pokemon Master XD

Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2006
    Or it could be called the Chimp. Yeah. The Nintendo Chimp. There's something i'd buy. In fact, i'd buy 2.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Chase Leader said:
    If they revealed it at E3, it would be the big thing about E3. It would completely overshadow everything else Nintendo has to offer. I think they're just throwing it out there so we can think it over for a while.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    Although I took a year and a half of marketing classes, I don't see how this is potentially a good marketing tool. Of all of the syllables that could be pronounced in many languages, they picked this? And the name invokes too much innuendo that could offend soccer moms and Jack Thompson. I read there was a petition to get DS's "Touching is Good" motto, and all ads of Gauntlet Legends (I believe) a couple of years ago for referencing "Fourplay". Not to mention all the poor puns that could come from it. And just when I actually was starting to like the controller (Red Steel did it for me...).

Wii do not like the name.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Welcome to so-called "Wii-Therapy":

Taken from IGN last night:

IGN said:
    IGN Wii: We're now called IGN Wii. How could you do this to us?
    Perrin Kaplan: Say that again.

IGN Wii: It is pronounced like "we," right?
    PK: Yes, as in inclusive, you and me. So how could I do it to you?

IGN Wii: Yes. Don't you guys think about us when you do these things?
    PK: I think about you pretty much 24/7.

IGN: Well, of course you do.
    PK: Let me just tell you that if you're disrupted by it today, it's obviously caught your attention. And at the show, you're going to get to try out a lot of products that will make you happy.

IGN Wii: Revolution seemed to be a pretty cool code-name that a lot of our readers liked. Why abandon it?
    PK: You know, I thought it was a neat name, too, but it's not as fitting for what we're trying to do. You think about Google being an unusual name. You think about Virgin Airlines. Amazon. Napster. All those. I think it's as unique as those. They aren't just unique, but loved names for places that we all know. And I think this is more fitting and the two Is work on a bunch of different levels. It looks like two people with heads who can play, which is the inclusive nature of everybody. It looks like the controllers. So for us it looked like a couple of different levels.

IGN Wii: You have said that you're going for a name that's unique, like Google. But Wii is also used as "we" every day and therefore only unique in spelling. Do you think there is a risk of confusing potential buyers with a title like this?
    PK: I think it's really fun to look at, the logo. I think people are going to see that on the box and our package art. I think people will get it straight after a while - it's just something they're going to have to get used to.

IGN Wii: Was the name decided on out of Japan or was it a global decision by Nintendo?
    PK: It's a global name. As most things at Nintendo are done, it was not done by any individual. It was really a team effort.

IGN Wii: How long have you known about the new name?
    PK: Well, let me see. We've been working on a name for a good year and have had this one in mind for some time.

IGN Wii: Simplicity seems to be part of the reasoning behind the new name. Why not just spell it "We" then?
    PK: I think that there's a really strong visual to it by having it symbolize the controllers and symbolize people. And, as you pronounce it, the Wii does stand for that whole worldwide inclusion of players. So you get both out of it.

IGN Wii: The logo and the video teaser you put out seem to stress the plurality of the name. What message can we take away from that?
    PK: I think it's just a reminder that the system can be played individually or be played by a lot of people. It is for people of all sized and shapes. It's really a system for everybody. It's a system for the core gamers. It's a system for the people who are just going to be re-entering gaming. I think that's what people can get from it.

IGN Wii: Why announce the final name now and not at E3 2006?
    PK: Why are we doing it now? Well, let me just say that if you look at how much time people have spent online talking about it today and paying attention to it today, it really, I think, required that kind of attention and seeping in for people to let it settle a little bit. It would be really, really easy to lose that at the show. Also, I think it's important for us to go into the show with people knowing what we're talking about.

IGN Wii: Some overzealous readers have created some truly phallic Wii designs. We e-mailed you several of them, as you saw. Any plans to use any of these brilliant materials in your official marketing plans?
    PK: What a nice way of asking that question! We actually have had a day of a lot of smiles around here with a variety of things that fans have created, let me just say that. It shows you that people are big fans of Nintendo.

IGN Wii: Do you think it will come as a shock to some of the Nintendo leaders back in Japan to see some of these fan-created Wii graphics?
    PK: Well, they might have to find those themselves.

IGN Wii: Some fans have already started petitions in hopes of somehow convincing Nintendo to change the name. Any message for these people?
    PK: Live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it and hopefully they'll arrive at the same place.

IGN: So will Wii be your focus at E3, or will DS have its place, too?
    PK: We're going to be focusing on both, as you probably know. We know people are really interested in hearing about the new system so we will obviously be having a big portion of our focus on it.

There ya have it folks. Make yourselves feel better.

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
    Allstories said:
    If they revealed it at E3, it would be the big thing about E3. It would completely overshadow everything else Nintendo has to offer. I think they're just throwing it out there so we can think it over for a while.

Exactly

Plus its all over the place being officialy announced so im pretty sure its stuck.
    I'm not saying its bad but my friends laughter will be a pain to endure.

"Deens having a go on his Wii"

Back