• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rifts In Time

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
  • Bew is alive. <_<;

Oh, this chapter was even more better due to the fact I was listening to the Pokemon battle music while I was reading the fighting part. XD It fits a lot. But anyway, I loved the battle, very descriptive and effective, only part that confused me was your description of the Grovyle. I thought it was Entei or an Ursaring for some strange reason. Another were dialogues, it keeps on going from big paragraphs to strings of endless dialogues. Also, try replacing the word 'man' for once. XD

Length was awesome, and yeah you </3 the limit, I can relate. Oh, and Michael got a pokedex? :O Details and the rest were fine, and your interaction of the emotion going on, especially the part where you explained Michael's fear of snakes and the others' reactions. Sublime, and keep it up. ^_^

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    This is the coolest FanFic I've read in a great while. The thing is so well written and your attention to detail puts me to shame. I look forward to future chapters, as it has become obvious that you plan to finish this.

I also like the attention to detail in the dialogue. It makes the characters seem more like real people.

This could quite possibly become one of the best Pokemon FanFics ever written...

THIS is when an OT is appropriate!

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • FINALLY! o.o *cough* But you're back! XD Anyways, to review:

As always, great use of description and, as always, great character description, length, punctuation - the whole shebang. I could picture most things vividly and clearly. You could really feel like you were actually in the fic.

But... as always again, there was an awful lot of dialogue. There really does seem to be too much of it, and you could scrap bits of it and it would still make sense. It just seems unnecessary at time that's all. But it's good that you've stopped using "teen" as much... yet you've started using "man" >.< Ah well... good luck for the next chapter. ^_^

Beau`

Lover Of Mika
    Years
  • Chapter 7: Stars And Stripes

?It?s called a pokedex.? The professor explained.

Michael took the device from her hand, eyes squinting to get a better look. The red object didn?t look like much to him. Except for the small glass orb at the top, it looked like a regular plastic carrying case. But this conclusion was once again the cause of his blinding ignorance. He twisted the device to the right to find a small teal button situated where the two lines of the object met. Being his usual curious self, Michael tentatively pressed the button. The bottom half of the device fell away, leaving both thin plastic sides connected by a black spine. Surprisingly, what lay inside was just what Michael had been expecting. The right side of the contraption was fully devoured by a small screen. The left side consisted of one yellow button, one black button, one purple button, and one minuscule lined circle which Michael assumed to be a speaker.

?Nice.? Michael smiled. ?What games do you have for it??

?There aren?t any games on it.? The professor laughed. ?This isn?t a child?s play thing. In some aspects it is, but not in the way you?re thinking.?

?What does it do then?? Michael grumbled.

?It contains information of all known pokemon. You simply point the small glass tracker on top at any pokemon, and it instantly brings up all discovered facts of that particular species. It also has detailed knowledge of all pokemon moves up to date. This particular version can even answer any questions you might have,? the professor explained.

?Are you serious?? Michael blinked. ?So its like a digital encyclopedia??

?That?s right.? Jessica smiled.

?Very nice.? Michael admired. ?And this is for every known pokemon??

?For everyone that we?ve discovered, yes.? The professor beamed.

?Cool.? Michael said. ?I can have it??

?Yeah.? The professor said. ?I think you?ll be able to put it to good use.?

?And mine is where?? Leah asked.

?You?ll get yours the day after tomorrow, just like every other person coming to the lab.? The professor replied.

?Whatever.? Leah spat.

?That?s all I wanted; you two watch the video; it was a fantastic battle. I?ll give you the manual when I find it.? Jessica sighed.

?What is it called again?? Michael inquired.

?A pokedex.? The professor repeated.

?Pokedex.? Michael nodded. ?I got it.?

The professor smiled thoughtfully, turned, and walked to the other side of the room. As Michael watched, the semi-old woman placed her hands on the midnight ladder and proceeded to swing up the ladder like a gymnast. She sure was in shape for someone her age. Then again, he didn?t even know how old she was.

?Are we going to start sometime today.? Leah sighed.

?Go ahead.? Michael smiled.

Leah fitted the tiny disc into the tray and went back to fiddling with the knobs. Michael began to do the same with his new pokedex, eager to find out what exactly the thing could do. The black button looked appealing, so he pressed it. A robotic like voice jumped from the tiny speaker, echoing through the room like a foghorn.

?Pokedex version 3.0 at your service. To whom am I speaking?? The dex asked.

?Michael.? The teen said proudly.

?Are you the owner of this model?? The dex inquired.

?That?s right.? Michael replied.

?Registering name and voice.? The dex commented. He was having a conversation with a machine! How cool was this? It had a mind of its own. ?Name and voice registered.? The dex said. ?How may I be of service to you??

It was referring to itself an ?I?. Dang, this was cool. ?I just wanted to see what you did.? Michael stammered.

?Very well.? The dex replied. ?Simply speak into the receiver if you have any questions.?

?I will.? Michael grinned.

?There we go.? Leah said triumphantly.

The black screen flickered to life, changing from black to a soft white hue. Suddenly, red italicized words appeared on the glowing screen. ?Kanto Championship Battle, brought to you by Spazz and Co.? But as he watched, Michael realized that the words were in English. How could that be? Michael turned his head to look at Leah?s shirt, eyes crazily searching for the letters. There they stood, plain as day. Why hadn?t he noticed this before? Thank god he had been transported to a world where they at least spoke in a language he understood. This would sure make things a lot easier.

?Here we go.? Leah smiled. Suddenly, the screen switched from its astonishing white color to black. ?What!?

?Incoming transmission.? A voice called. ?Will you accept??

?If this was important enough to interrupt my movie, I guess so!? Leah moaned.

The screen flickered again and Leah?s father appeared on the screen. Was this a video conference? Michael remembered seeing something like this on an infomercial.

?Leah, Michael.? Doug nodded.

?Yes Dad?? Leah sighed.

?Your Mother and I were called away to Saffron City on some business. I wanted to let Jessica know.? Doug explained.

?How long are you going to be gone?? Leah asked.

?At least until tomorrow night.? Doug replied.

?You?ll be back before I leave, right?? Leah inquired.

?Of course.? Doug smiled. ?I wrote you a list of things and left it on the kitchen table that I need you to take care of.?

?Alright.? Leah complained.

?I left Azumarril and Arcanine for any help you might need.? Doug said.

?Alright.? Leah repeated.

?Take care sweetie, and if you need anything, just ask Jessica.? Doug beamed.

?I will.? Leah nodded.

?Love you.? Doug smiled.

?Love you too.? Leah replied.

?Michael.? Doug nodded.

?Mr. Burke.? Michael said.

?What am I....? Leah pleaded. Before Leah could finish, the screen returned to the color of his mother?s soul. Leah expelled a loud sigh from her rosy lips, clearly ticked off. It must suck having your parents run off like that. Although, Michael wouldn?t really object if his parents did the same every now and then.

?Let?s go.? Leah sighed.

?Where are we going?? Michael inquired.

?To do the chores my Dad left for me.? Leah explained.

?Why do I have to go?? Michael grimaced.

?You don?t have to if you don?t want to. My Mom?s Arcanine sure is a sight though.? Leah shrugged.

?I?m going.? Michael grinned.

?That?s what I thought.? Leah nodded.

Michael returned the two chairs to their original position, grumbling under his breath about having to move again. Leah bent over one of the desks and started shifting around the various papers. The familiar tone of a scratching pencil filled the small room, the sound enough to drive Michael insane. Leah stopped scribbling and threw a small piece of paper to the desk.

?I left the professor a note telling her where we went.? Leah stated. Michael seriously doubted that the professor would see a tiny scrap of paper in this holy mess of a room, but he followed Leah towards the door anyway, pokedex clutched tightly in his hand. Before Michael knew it, the two were back outside, wandering towards the shape in the distance that was Leah?s house. The sunlight had softened a bit, which was good though Michael was still hot. Why had he picked a black shirt and blue jeans that day? Speaking of attire, where was he supposed to get more clothes? All he had in his wallet was a lousy seven bucks, hardly enough for a pair of socks. Besides, Michael was pretty sure they didn?t take foreign money.

?What kind of stuff do you think we have to do?? Michael asked.

?Beats me.? Leah sighed.

They arrived at the scarlet house somewhat quickly, both of their heads pointed towards the thinning grass.

?Go ahead around back.? Leah said. ?I?ll go see what my Dad left me to do.?

?Sure.? Michael nodded.

The two parted, Leah walking towards the front door, Michael walking towards the brown gate. Michael swung the gate open and walked through, leaving the small door open for Leah. The young teen walked closely to the wall, eyes focused on the nearby forest edge, just in case another giant snake decided to surprise him. Suddenly, a sound cut through the air which Michael was breathing. He stopped dead in his tracks, eyes crazily searching the forest. Michael heard the sound again, louder this time. He flattened himself against the wall, trying in vain to become one with the house. This didn?t cancel out the sound though; it actually proved to do the exact opposite as the sound grew rhythmically louder. Michael inched across the wall, ready to jump back at the slightest movement. But, as he drew closer to the corner of the house, he recognized the sound; it was breathing. Taking an idiotic risk, Michael took another step and peeked around the corner.

?Jeez.? Michael whispered.

An enormous creature was laying in the radiant grass. The figure was fully embossed in a bright shade of orange fur. The fur covered all of the creature, occasionally dipping into large black stripes like that of a tiger. Immense tufts of creamy golden hair hung from the creature?s four ankles, face, neck, and tail. Michael?s eyes widened as he saw the creature?s face. The closest thing Michael could relate this sight to was a dog. The thing gave a loud snort and rolled to its side. Its four thickly muscled legs kicked at the air, just like Michael?s dog did when it was having a dream. The only thing that really separated this animal from his was the fact that it was the size of a truck. And not just any truck; one of those new F-150's. As Michael watched, the creature?s head rolled to its side, a wide smiled etched across its egg shaped muzzle. Suddenly, the creaking sound of a door being swung open broke the creature?s hypnotic breathing. The dog?s ears twitched as Leah appeared.

?Arcanine!? Leah grinned.

The dog?s eyelids flew open, revealing startling emerald eyes. Leah hopped across the ground and jumped onto the creature?s exposed creamy stomach. Then, Leah proceeded to plunge her small hands into the large mess of fur, a large smile planted on her beautiful face. She was tickling it, she was actually tickling the thing. The giant dog barked loudly, its face twisting to match Leah?s.

?Bowwww!? The creature howled, body jerking into uncontrollable fits of laughter.

With a shrug and a smile, Michael spoke. ?Leah?? He said.

As this name left Michael?s lips, the giant dog turned its creamy pointed head to look at the young teen. Michael cringed. The dog was looking at him with a very odd expression. Like he didn?t know what the hell Michael was. Why was the thing looking at him like that? What did he do?

?Hey Michael!? Leah grinned.

?Hey? Michael whispered.

?I got the stuff.? Leah said, holding out a piece of paper.

?Cool cool.? Michael smiled.

With that, Leah got off the giant dog and walked over to the staring teen. The orange creature rolled to its paws and followed, a large glob of slobber hanging from its pointed snout. Michael took an involuntary step back as the dog got up, seriously considering wether he should run for his life.

?Are you afraid of Arcanine?? Leah giggled.

?No.? Michael replied. ?It?s just really, really big.?

?He?s a sweetie, really.? Leah smiled. ?Stand still.?

Michael obeyed the command, planting his feet into the emerald blades of grass. Leah stepped up to Michael and snatched the pokedex from his hand.

?Arcanine, this is Michael.? Leah gestured. ?Michael, this is Arcanine.?

Michael gave the giant dog a half smile and stood still, waiting for Leah to say something else. The Arcanine took two steps closer, so it was only a foot from Michael. Curious, the great dog lowered its immense head and sniffed Michael?s hair. It ran its fantastically wet nose up and down Michael?s body, as if it were searching for something. Satisfied, the dog moved even closer, head descending to level with Michael?s. With a gasp from Michael, the beast opened its mouth. Brilliantly white canines and molars gleamed from both side of an enormous tongue. Before Michael could react, the great dog smiled and licked Michael from chin to hairline with its salivating pink protrusion.

?Awwww.? Leah cooed. ?It likes you.?

This had to be the grossest thing that had ever happened to Michael. The young teen reached down and grabbed the bottom of his shirt, and wiped his face clean. That was great. Now he had a sweltering stain of pokemon saliva imbedded in his shirt.

?Thanks.? Michael grimaced.

?Bowww.? The pokemon replied.

?Here.? Leah said, handing him his pokedex. ?Try it out.?

?How do I work it?? Michael inquired.

?You just open it up and point it.? Leah smiled.

Hearing this, the Arcanine took a hulking step back, making room for the spikey haired human. Michael pressed the button and swung the contraption open; and with an intake of breath, he raised his arm. The reaction was almost immediate. The device gave a loud electronic beep and the small screen inside it sprang to life. A picture of the dog appeared on the mini-monitor; the picture rotated, allowing Michael to see the beast from all sides. The device gave yet another beep and a familiar voice began to speak.

?Arcanine, the legendary pokemon.? The dex spat. ?This fire type pokemon is recognized worldwide for its superior battling abilities and magnificent fleece. If raised properly it can become very loyal and protective of its trainer.?

?It?s a legendary pokemon?? Michael asked.

?Of course not.? Leah laughed.

?But the pokedex said it was.? Michael nodded.

?That?s just its classification.? Leah explained. ?Each pokemon has a different one.?

?Oh.? Michael said. ?Its pretty impressive.?

?Arcanine has been with my mother for a long time.? Leah replied, scratching the dog?s ear. ?Him?s a good little boy.?

?What do we have to do?? Michael inquired.

?Not much.? Leah answered. ?Check on the baby Stantler, and check on the water pokemon.?

?Okay.? Michael smiled.

?First thing we have to do is find Azumarril.? Leah stated.

?Azumarril?? Michael grimaced. ?What?s that??

Upon hearing these words, the pokedex spoke, ?Azumarril, the aquarabbit pokemon. This water type pokemon uses its long sensitive ears to listen for possible predators. It is a very graceful swimmer, as well as a battler. It feeds off tall growing water grass.?

As the dex completed its explanation, a picture formed on the minuscule screen. Michael laughed at the figure, as it was just downright strange. It was a rabbit. But an oddly round rabbit. The top half of the egg shaped pokemon?s body was engulfed in an odd sapphire color, while the lower half was a pure snowy white. It had pudgy little arms and even pudgier little feet. A black line that looked to be bent in many places shot out from behind the creature to form a tail. Situated on the end of the black piece of flesh was a round ball that was the same blue color as the pokemon?s enormously tall ears. Two small pools of black served as the creature?s eyes as a semi-straight line under the ovals made up the pokemon?s smiling mouth.

?Is this it?? Michael asked, holding out the small rectangle.

?That?s it.? Leah nodded. ?Arcanine, where?s Azumarril??

?Bow.? The pokemon barked, throwing its luxurious head towards the house.

Before the humans could turn, a small padded shape bonked Michael on top of the head. Michael jumped backwards, hands shooting up to defend himself.

?Marril.? A high pitched voice laughed.

?You have got to quit being so jumpy.? Leah snickered.

Michael didn?t reply, he just followed the source of the squeaking, which led his eyes to the roof. The pokemon he had seen on the small screen was sitting on the edge, its long tail bobbing up and down like a jack-in the box.

?Marril!? It squeaked.

Beau`

Lover Of Mika
    Years
  • ?Get down here!? Leah commanded.

The pokemon happily obliged, and with a laugh, the sapphire rabbit hopped off the roof, and onto Arcanine?s back. Continuing to laugh, the water type beat its long tail against the fire dog?s side, much like a jockey would do to a race horse. Arcanine raised an eyebrow and threw his back upward, bucking the small pokemon off its spine. The water type gracefully slid through the air, and landed on its feet in front of Leah.

?Stop messing around.? Leah barked. ?This is Michael.?

?Azu!? The water type cried, spinning around.

The small sapphire rabbit raised its tail to Michael?s waist, the blue ball on the end waving. Michael did what he thought he was supposed to do, he grabbed the blue ball in his right hand and shook it. Apparently this was the right thing to do because the pokemon shook back.

?Now that you two are acquainted, can we get going? Leah smiled. ?I?d like to be done by nightfall.?

?Sure.? Michael smiled.

?Good.? Leah said. ?Can you bend down Arcanine??

?Bow.? The pokemon replied, kneeling to the grass.

?Why is he doing that?? Michael inquired.

?He?s going to take us over there.? Leah nodded.

?Were going to ride him?? Michael asked. There was no way in hell he was riding that thing.

?Of course.? Leah said. ?He?s pretty fast when he needs to be.?

?I don?t know.? Michael grimaced.

?Are you afraid?? Leah smiled.

?No.? Michael said defiantly. ?I?m just a little hesitant to take a ride on a giant dog.?

?Are you sure?? Leah inquired. ? It will take you awhile if you walk.?

?Walking will do me good.? Michael smiled.

?Alright then.? Leah nodded. ?By the time you get to the baby Stantler I?ll be done. So, you wanna meet me by the pond.?

?Sounds good.? Michael smiled.

?I?ll let Azumarril go with you.? Leah stated.

?Is the pond hard to find? Michael asked.

?No, its directly across the field.? Leah replied. ?I just don?t want you to be alone if you have another spazz attack.?

?What?s that supposed to mean?? Michael said angrily.

?Nothing at all.? Leah laughed. ?I?ll see you over there.? With that, Leah took a step left and put one leg over the great dog?s neck. Arcanine raised itself back to full height, taking a deep breath as it went. Leah grabbed a handful of the fire type?s mane for support and turned to look at the flamboyant figure of Azumarril.

?Make sure he gets there alright okay.? Leah commanded.

?Azu!? The water type grinned.

?Let?s go Arcanine!? Leah smiled .

The fire dog howled at the sky, obviously, and whole heartedly excited. The amplifying sound rang out through the field and made its way into the forest, getting louder all the while. Arcanine stopped the call and drew in a deep breath, eyes glazed over in joy. The fire dog trotted forward, stretching its coiled ligaments. As Michael watched, the beast smiled at the blazing sun, and shot forward, Leah holding for dear life. As it sped towards the other side of the field, its legs transformed into nothing more than blond blurs.

?Spazz attack my foot.? Michael muttered. ?I wasn?t the one screaming.? He did freak out though. But he had a reason, she didn?t. Although, he probably would have had a heart attack if the snake had leapt at him. Why was he even sweating this? It was just a joke anyway.

?We?d better get going.? Michael stated.

?Azu!? The sapphire pokemon laughed.

What does that mean?? Michael inquired.

?Marril.? The pokemon grinned.

?You?re not smarter than me.? Michael spat.

?Marril!? The water type giggled, acting contentedly unconcerned.

?Aren?t you a happy little ball of fat.? Michael giggled.

?Azu!? The pokemon growled.

In a laughing rage, the small blue pokemon jumped up, and once again whacked Michael across the head with its ball of a tail.

?Hey!? Michael said.

?Azumarril!? The pokemon giggled. With another laugh, and a kick of its rectangular feet, the pokemon started hopping towards the other end of the field. This was one cool little pokemon. Maybe this wouldn?t be so bad after all. There was some cool stuff here. Some very cool stuff indeed. Realizing, that he was now alone, Michael took off after the oval shaped Azumarril.

?Get back here!? Michael laughed.

~*~*~

Leah?s hair billowed out like the mane of a sprinting stallion behind her. The steady clop of Arcanine?s paws against the thirsty ground had put her into a barely conscious trance. The young teen hardly noticed the pokemon that were blitzing past her. She was too deep in thought for that. Her thinking was based solely on one thing; and that was Michael. His whole ?I was transported here from another world? story had really troubled her. She knew that the professor wouldn?t lie to her about such a thing, but still. This wasn?t the type of thing you heard about every day; this wasn?t the type of thing you heard about at all. It was only now that she had really started thinking about it again. Her mind had gone kind of astray after the Arbok attack. That was **** scary. Thank Ho-Oh her father had been there. She hated to think about what would have happened if he hadn?t. Then, without warning, her mind drifted from Michael, to the event that was to take place the day after tomorrow.

?Ugh.? She muttered.

Leah had mixed feeling?s about starting her journey. She was excited to be finally getting out on her own where she could make her own rules, set her own limitations, and be completely dependant on herself. But on the other hand, she was leaving everything she knew. Leah hated her parent?s stupid rules and lectures, but she was already beginning to miss their monotonous draw. Leah knew that she was going to miss everything about Lasford, but she also knew that she had to leave. It was tradition. This was how it started in the tiny town. That was one thing that really intrigued Leah about setting off. She knew how it had to start, but she didn?t know how it was going to end.

~*~*~

Michael would have probably already been at the lake if he hadn?t been stopping every minute to scan every pokemon that lumbered past. This was actually starting to annoy Azumarril; even though the sun was starting to slightly settle, it was still horrifically humid; and nothing would have pleased the sapphire rabbit more than a dip in the glacier cold pond.

?Weird!? Michael beamed as a shape bounced by. The small figure was nothing more than a sphere of long violet hair. Two long, but thin antenna rocketed out of the top of the small pokemon?s skull, much like the picture of Celebii from before. The creature had a strangely shaped pale nose; like a star with two of the points missing. The same pale red color made up the creature?s enormous seeing parts. The eye?s were like that of a fly; hundreds of tiny octagons, intricately woven into two glittering ovals. Other than the pokemon?s startling eyes, the most interesting thing about this creature was the way it moved. The violet haired creature was bouncing and skipping like a drug addict on the best high of his life. The weirdest thing about it was that it was moving in no particular direction at all. The pokemon was just moving randomly in every direction. Curious, Michael raised his right arm, eager to hear what the pokedex had to say about this crazy little critter. However, just as Michael aimed the glass orb at the small pokemon, Azumarril leapt up and rudely snatched the pokedex from Michael?s hand. The pokemon landed back in front of Michael and shook one of its long arms in a side to side motion.

?What?s you?re problem!?? Michael barked.

?Azu!? Azumarril retorted.

?Give it back.? Michael pleaded. ?I want to see what the pokedex has to say about that purple thing.?

The small pokemon said nothing in response, it only rolled its eyes, turned around, and started running full speed in the direction they were supposed to be heading; pokedex clutched tightly in its hand. Michael took one last longing look at the bouncing purple shape, and began jogging after Azumarril. The explanations of the three pokemon he had just scanned were rebounding through his brain. He struggled to remember their odd names. He remembered a green one called Chikorita, a small fox like pokemon called Vulpix, and a spiky brown raccoon like pokemon called zigzags or something. Why did they have such whacked names for these things anyway? How was a person supposed to remember them all?

?Michael!? A voice shouted. The young teen looked up from the ground, searching for the source of the voice. Arcanine was sprawled out across the ground about twenty yards to Michael?s right; with Leah sitting upright on the ground next to it, almost completely buried beneath the fire dog?s luxurious coat.

?Hey!? Michael smiled. He sprinted the rest of the way over to the duo, eager to hear what Leah had done in his absence. ?What happened with the pokemon you were checking on??

?Same old, same old.? Leah replied. ?They were fine; just like they always are.?

?That?s cool.? Michael beamed. ?Where?s Azumarril? It took my pokedex.?

?Here it is.? Leah blinked, holding out her arm. ?Sorry about that. I think he just really wanted to take a swim.?

?Thanks.? Michael nodded, taking the pokedex from her hand. ?Before Azumarril robbed me, I was able to scan some pokemon.?

?The pokedex is pretty cool isn?t it?? Leah asked.

?It really is.? Michael agreed.

?What pokemon did you see?? Leah asked.

?One called Chikorita, a red one called Vulpix, and a spiky haired brown called Zigzags I think.? Michael stated.

?Zigzagoon?? Leah questioned.

?That?s right.? Michael nodded.

?You need to memorize those names or you?re going to sound like an idiot to everyone who doesn?t know where you?re from.? Leah said

?Excuse me if I?m a little rusty.? Michael said. ?Have you forgotten that these are words that I normally don?t use on a day to day basis??

?I know.? Leah laughed. ?But since it looks like you?ll be staying here for awhile, you might want to make a habit of studying them.?

?I guess you?re right.? Michael said.

?Anyway.? Leah started, rising from the ground. ?How would you like to add a really special pokemon to you?re pokedex collection??

?Sure.? Michael said. ?Where is it??

?Right over there.? Leah pointed. Her slender finger was cast directly towards the right corner of the small forest, where the plain ended, and the dark green foliage of the woods began to form. Snugly fitted into that corner was the pond. It was obviously man-made; Michael could tell that from its perfectly rectangular shape. Turning back to Leah, Michael gave a nod, and started walking towards the small body of water. As he neared the mass of water, he realized that it was much bigger than he thought.

?Wait up!? Leah called.

With a sigh, Michael stopped, and impatiently waited for Leah. She and Arcanine trotted up alongside him and they all started walking towards the mass of water. Cries of what sounded like laughter broke the silence in which the were trudging through. Those sounds actually lifted Michael to an even higher joyful platform than the one he was already on.

?I assume that you guys built this yourself?? Michael questioned.

?That?s right.? Leah replied as they came to a halt at the edge of the pond. There was a small grass overhang that jutted over the surface of the water, which was situated only a couple inches below ground. Pokemon of all shapes and colors were mingling in the water. Some were power swimming, others were splashing, and some were even lined up against one side of the pond, as if preparing for a race. Michael dropped to one knee, shot Leah a playful grin, and lowered his hand to run his hand across the rippling surface of the liquid. Michael didn?t know if it was him, or his subconscious, but right as his hand was about to make contact with the water, he jerked it back up, and quickly rose to his feet.

Flash!

Michael?s mind spiraled back towards the lightning encrusted morning. Back to the glowing white pool of energy. Falling in. Losing consciousness. Waking up in a place that was not his own. Sure, this looked to be regular pond water. Murkily blue, like every other pond, but thin enough to allow him to see downward a couple feet. He still didn?t trust this water though. His cheek twitched. The lightning flashed again. Michael took in an unsteady breath, viciously ordering his mind to stop.

?What is it?? Leah asked.

?Nothing.? Michael replied. ?It?s just, the last time I stuck my hand in a pool of water, something bad happened. And I?m really not too keen on having a repeat of that.?

?I understand.? Leah nodded. ?But you can put your fears at rest for now. It?s only water. Nothing more, nothing less.?

?Okay.? Michael shrugged.

?So are you going to touch it?? Leah wondered.

?No.? Michael quickly replied.

?Whatever.? Leah blinked. ?But you can?t go through your time here being afraid of everything.?

?I know, and I won?t be.? Michael explained. ?I just need a little time.?

?Alright.? Leah nodded. ?Azumarril!?

As Michael turned his attention back to the pond, he noticed Azumarril, lying belly up near the center of the artificial body of water, both of its pudgy arms twisted behind its head in a relaxing pose. As Leah?s call made its way through the Azumarril?s carotid eardrum, the sapphire rabbit rolled over. With a grin, the sapphire rabbit started paddling towards the grassy shore. It powered through the water like a nitro driven speed boat; and in no time at all, it arrived, sputtering onto shore. Leah took a step forward, bent down, raised one hand in a feeble attempt of a shield and started whispering in Azumarril?s enormous left ear. After a moment, Leah rose to her full height, and gave black eyed pokemon a sharp nod. The egg shaped pokemon rolled its eyes in response, turned tail, and leapt back into the water. Shards of clear aqua sprayed in all directions as the pokemon connected with the water; Michael watched a few of the drops swing through the air and smack the ground. Losing interest, he turned his attention back to Leah.

?What was that for?? Michael asked.

?I was just telling Azumarril to go get it.? Leah replied.

?Get what?? Michael inquired.

?You?ll see.? Leah giggled.

?Fine.? Michael groaned. ?How deep does the pond go anyway??

?Fairly deep.? Leah replied. ?But what?s really neat about this particular pond is the cave. The water pokemon that thrive in the water all the time dug sideways underground to make a passage. It actually goes pretty far into the forest.?

?Why do you think they did that?? Michael asked.

?To make it seem a little more like the ocean I guess.? Leah shrugged.

?But don?t they have to worry about it collapsing?? Michael wondered.

?My father and Azumarril went down there after it was finished, and from what he saw, he said that it wasn?t a problem.? Leah replied. ?Those water pokemon know what they?re doing.?

Just as Michael was about to utter yet another mindless question, the nearby surface of the water broke open, and Azumarril clambered out, a huge stupid grin etched into its face.

?Is she coming?? Leah excitedly asked.

?Azu!? Azumarril replied.

?Thanks Azumarril.? Leah smiled.

?Is what?s ?Coming? a pokemon?? Michael asked.

?That?s pretty obvious.? Leah said.

This girl was quite the smart-arse. Was that comment really necessary? Why couldn?t she have just said yes? Was it really that hard to give a semi-polite response?

As Michael continued to watch the water, something dawned on him. The assorted pokemon that were previously playing at all parts of the pond had ceased. In fact, most of the pokemon in the small mass of water started moving towards the side closest to them. This started to slightly worry Michael. Why would they be doing that? And as Michael continued to watch the water, his question was slowly answered. It started as a soft yellow glow on the side of the pond nearest to the woods. It slowly started moving towards the duo of humans, the yellow light growing brighter and more defined. Michael shot a nervous glance at Leah and Azumarril, who were both lost in the approaching shape. Suddenly, the glowing light brutally smashed through the surface of the calm liquid.

?No way.? Michael whispered.

The glowing light had changed into a figure. A figure that seemed unreal to Michael. A figure that he doubted he could have ever dreamt up. The object that had emerged from the pond twisted itself to face the two humans, and started to rise. Sparks that reminded Michael of shooting stars leapt from the creature, cris-crossing each other in a beautifully backwards display of pyrotechnics. The light that was radiating from the figure was blinding; it was if the heavens had taken the sun and transformed it into a moving shape. The figure drifted slowly through the air, approaching the two humans cautiously, calculatingly. An aura of golden light trailed behind the creature; the end twisting away as it moved, much like waves made by a speeding boat. As it came closer, the glow began to soften. Little by little. Inch by inch. Then, the veil of light was almost completely dropped; allowing Michael a proper view of the creature that was defying gravity without the benefit of wings.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Once again, a great chapter. I loved every second of it. I think you really have something great here. Keep at it!!

Back