• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT 5th Gen OU/UU

p.hant0m

Studier of ancient legends.
Years
Such a creative title huh?
This is just something I whipped up. Completely new to this generation as well. Still understanding the metagame. My biggest trouble is with items. I end up slapping life orb on most things.

Persion (F) @ Normal Gem Trait: Technician
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- U-turn

Grumpig (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SAtk / 255 SDef
Hardy Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Psychic

Typhlosion (M) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 255 HP / 255 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 255 Def
Hardy Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit

Absol (M) @ Razor Claw
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 248 Atk / 255 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Stone Edge

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2012
Those Gems... Are pretty horrible for Sweeping. You're better off with Life Orbs because they power up ALL moves and aren't one time use. And I see that you're Absol is good for Crit-Hits so I'd recommend a scope lens instead.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Persian is terrible even as a lead; Ambipom does its job a lot better with the same Speed, a better movepool and higher Attack:
-Fake Out
-Return/Double Hit
-U-turn
-Low Sweep/Low Kick/Pursuit/Payback
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician

I'd have Espeon over Grumpig; it has Magic Bounce to bounce back status moves:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fire/Fighting)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

or

-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Fire/Fighting)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce

Typhlosion is way too frail for RestTalking. Not only that, Darmanitan outclasses it due to it having Sheer Force:
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake/Superpower
-U-turn
Nature: Adamant
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force

Scizor might be better off with this. Not only that, it's not a good idea to put EVs in Defense without putting them in HP:
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn
-Brick Break/Superpower
-Pursuit/Quick Attack
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Technician

Absol isn't very viable in OU because of Conkeldurr's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch running around. Zoroark fares well, though you'll have to pick a Pokemon for your last slot to take advantage of Illusion:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
Item: Life Orb

Dragon Rush is an unreliable attack. If you're using Salamence, then using Outrage is the way to go, though you're giving up Moxie:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake/Brick Break
Nature: Naughty/Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/24 SAtk/232 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate

Years
Glad to hear you're interested in the metagame, I'll help you out with this team so you can get a good idea as to what is viable in standard OU Play.

Firstly, you only need 252 EVs to max out a stat, if you use 252 for each stat you want to max, then you save 4 EVs to put in another stat, this can be the difference between outspeeding a Pokemon or getting outsped.

Alright, so let's look at your Persian. Persian isn't really an amazing Pokemon in Competitive play, so we'll probably replace it. In the 5th Gen Metagame, Weather is a very important part of battling, if you allow your opponent to get their own weather effect up, then they will overtake you easily, this is why I think Hippowdon would be a suitable lead for this team, it also gets up Stealth Rock, and counters a ton of potent threats which can be helpful. Here's the set I reccomend running:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
252 HP/152 Defense/104 Special Defense
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Ice Fang
-Slack Off

Stealth Rock should be first priority, as it limits the amount of times your opponent can switch and it turns 2 Hit KOs into OHKOs by dealing damage in advance, allowing your attacks to finish your opponent's Pokemon off, when it normally wouldn't. Ice Fang is there to break Air Balloons and stop dragons and Earthquake is powerful STAB.

I think you should try Latias over grumpig, since Latias is not only fast, but bulky as well and is adept at countering Nasty Plot Celebi and Rotom-W, not something many Pokemon can boast about.

Latias @ Leftovers
Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
180 HP/60 Def/252 Spd/16 SDef
Timid nature
- Roar
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Calm Mind

With Latias, you can switch into any Calm Mind Sweepers, and then instead of getting into a Calm Mind War, just Roar them out and they will lose all of their boosts, as you keep yours. Be sure to watch our for Tyranitar and Scizor, though.

As for your Typhlosion, well Typhlosion is yet another Pokemon that isn't viable in OU Play, I think you should use Nasty Plot Infernape over it, as once you get up a Nasty Plot, you become very hard to stop and powerful priority can whisk away Pokemon that think they can defeat you by outspeeding your Infernape.

Infernape @ Life Orb
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
-Vacuum Wave
-Focus Blast/Close Combat

Your Scizor set looks good, although you might want better coverage, and of course, adjust your evs to 252 in each stat. Try this

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed
Adamant Nature [to boost your Attack]
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite [Most Powerful of your STAB with the Tech boost, U-Turn is only good for scouting with Choice Band Sets.
- Swords Dance
- Superpower [to hit Ferrothorn and other Steels super effectively, or at worst, neutrally.]/Roost [to Heal]

Excadrill would be over Absol, who is also not very viable, as a powerful offensive presence and revenge killer while under sandstorm.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
252 Attack/252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Return/X-Scissor
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

Finally, you should tune up Salamence's set a bit, to make it a better offensive sweeper with more accurate moves that hit for better coverage.

Salamence @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
232 Attack/24 Special Attack/252 Speed
Timid Nature
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

Outrage/Dragon Claw provides powerful STAB, Earthquake works nicely with your Dragon STAB to take out steel types, as does Fire Blast, which can defeat Steels that don't take a lot of damage, such as Skarmory or Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

p.hant0m

Studier of ancient legends.
Years
I meant to put the EVs in defense into speed with Scizzor.
As I was making the team, I constantly overlooked many common Pokemon in the metagame, which proved to be a fatal error. I'll begin advising and adding some of the suggested Pokemon.
Thanks!

Back