• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT - Balanced Team - OU, 4th Gen.

Years
    I never stated that a wall had to be fast, I just said that Slowking's services are better suited to a Trick Room team. I just gave you a set that has worked extrememly well for me, in regards to the Tyranitar. If you don't like it, fine, but I never once said anything about speed... ?_?

~M51

About the slowking speed thing, i though you were implying that it had to be fast (hence trick room) but obviously not. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It's not that i don't like your TTar, cause i do, its just not a great solution for the special wall/tank position that is vacant.

Can anyone suggest any other special wall/tank other than Blissey/snorlax? I like the idea of Slowking. One idea i was discussing with my friend the other day is that I could use a really slow pokemon to help when versing trick room teams.

Oh and Itachi, could you please explain your reasoning behind the Natures on Vire?

Just incase it seems otherwse, i do appreciate all of your help. I never intend to offend anyone. I may not have, but looking back, some of my posts seem to be a little blunt.

~Archer~​

Ársa

k.
    Years
    You do remember that Rock types get a really big boost in Sp. Def when a Sand Storm is in play? Mine survived 3 Ice Beams from a Choice Specs Porygon-Z when it was asleep....lol

That is good.

~M51

Years
    Forgot the 1.5x Boost yes. One main concern is that it will be a pain to breed for one with a 31 HP IV. Will try on Shoddy but i just realised that sandstorm stuffs up my Gengar real bad. (Focus Sash, which I'm not changing)
    Still, can you suggest any other walls/tanks?

Ársa

k.
    Years
    ahhhhh....

Togekiss@Light Clay
    Calm
    Serene Grace
    252 HP, 252 Sp, Def, 6 Sp. Atk

Light Screen
    Air Slash/Tri Attack
    Counter
    Wish

or

Togekiss@Leftovers
    Calm
    Serene Grace
    252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Sp. Atk

Thunder Wave/Body Slam
    Seismic Toss/Air Slash
    Encore
    Wish/Roost/Softboiled

~M51

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    As for a special wall Slowking, here's a set that I came up with, that I'm breeding for right now, in fact.

Slowking (♂) @ ???
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP/58 Def/200 SDef
    Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunder Wave
    - Surf
    - Slack Off

I'm not sure about the item yet, because I did go for the Chesto/Rest combination, but Loquacity reminded me that Slack Off was possible.

Years
    As for a special wall Slowking, here's a set that I came up with, that I'm breeding for right now, in fact.

Slowking (♂) @ ???
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP/58 Def/200 SDef
    Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunder Wave
    - Surf
    - Slack Off

I'm not sure about the item yet, because I did go for the Chesto/Rest combination, but Loquacity reminded me that Slack Off was possible.

I like it, but i dont know which moves other than Calm Mind and Slack off. These are its choices: Surf, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Psychic, Shadow Ball and maybe trump card. Which two of these would offer the most coverage?

EDIT: Can you tell me why you used that particular EV spread? Oh, and it shoud have lefties.

Darkblade

The Ultimate Espeon Fanatic
    Years
    Hmmm... You should take out maybe Slack Off, You don't really need it, it's a tank after all, and you have lefties backing you up, but try replacing it with either pyshic or Grass Knot

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I chose this spread because (this was tested on Shoddy, so we're assuming Max IVs) it tops his defence up to 210, which will lead him to take a moderately powerful physical hit with his high HP. Those EVs could of course go into Sp. Atk.

Though, I'd stick with CM and Slack Off. I feel that walls function better with a recovery move, and not only does CM make it's job better by boosting Sp. Def, it also becomes a potent late-game sweeper with his decent Sp. Atk stat. If this job is to be made easier, replace Thunder Wave with Grass Knot/another SP. Atk move.

Years
    So,
    Slowking @ Lefties
    Sassy | 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SDef
    ~Slack Off
    ~Calm Mind
    ~Surf/Ice Beam (beam is for specsmence or should i go Stab?)
    ~Grass Knot.

What can't it handle?

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    It's all down to personal preference, I'd say. If you're gonna be using him in the OU tier, you're probably gonna be seeing Garchomp/Salamence alot. But then, you'd get walled by Steel types. So in the end, it's all down to you.

Years
    Ice Beam and Grass Knot sounds nice.
    Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Oh and Itachi, could you please explain your reasoning behind the Natures on Vire?

Last edited:
    Years
    OK. I'm about to build this team, but three more things need looking into.
    1) Infernapes EVs
    2) I don't like Donphans Moveset. Somehting is wrong...
    3) Is there any alternative to skarm? its boring.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    ahhhhh....

Togekiss@Light Clay
    Calm
    Serene Grace
    252 HP, 252 Sp, Def, 6 Sp. Atk

Light Screen
    Air Slash/Tri Attack
    Counter
    Wish

or

Togekiss@Leftovers
    Calm
    Serene Grace
    252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Sp. Atk

Thunder Wave/Body Slam
    Seismic Toss/Air Slash
    Encore
    Wish/Roost/Softboiled

~M51

Did you see this? Also, if you want a change on Skarm, try this then:

Hippowdon@Leftovers/Enigma Berry
    Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Atk

Ice Fang
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off

A true beast. ;)

~M51

Years
    Did you see this? Also, if you want a change on Skarm, try this then:

Hippowdon@Leftovers/Enigma Berry
    Impish
    252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Atk

Ice Fang
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Slack Off

A true beast. ;)

~M51

~I saw it, but i'm happy with slowking at the moment thanks.

~As much as i like that Hippowdon moveset, i can't use it for two reasons.
    ----1) Its far to similar to my Donphan
    ----2) Sandstream will kill my Gengars strategy with focus sash.

~So are there any other good physical walls?

Ársa

k.
    Years
    I forgot about your Donphan...lol

Let me just have a think...

~M51

archer said:
    So, here is my NEW team. Rate, etc;

Infernape (♂) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 76 Atk/252 Spd/180 SAtk Still Need advice here.
    Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Thunderpunch
    - Close Combat
    ---
    NOTES: Mixape.

Electivire (♂) @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Motor Drive
    EVs: 252 Atk, 176 Spd, 80 Sp. Atk
    Lonely nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    ---
    NOTES: Standard Vire. TBolt to hit skarm.

Umbreon@Leftovers
    Bold
    252 HP, 202 Def, 56 Spd

Baton Pass
    Mean Look
    Toxic / Rest / Wish
    Toxic / Rest / Wish

You can lead with this, and trap an opponents pokemon with Mean Look, then BP to something that can handle it. (If you like, BP to a CM'r, such as Slowking, which gives it far better chances of Surviving attacks, and is now a serious threat as a Sp. Sweeper.

Gengar (♂) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk/252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hypnosis

Slowking (♂) @ Lefties
    Ability: Levitate jks. Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    -Grass Knot / Energy Ball / Hidden Power Grass / Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Calm Mind
    -Slack Off

Simply put, I have added some more choices for the first option. Surf gives STAB, and for the EB and HP Grass, those are other Grass Attacks you can use instead of Grass Knot. Reasoning for this is simple. Many pokemon that resist Ice Beam won't take as much damage from Grass Knot, where as the other two could provide a more stable attack. Add to that the possibility of CM up due to Umbreon Mean Look Passing, and the other attacks may be a better option.

Donphan (♂) @ Lefties
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin
    - Fire Fang / Roar / Stealth Rock

Ok, so there are my changes. I'll need to have a look after my post at possible threats though...

~M51

Last edited:
    Years
    Just a few questions about that last rate.

~Couldnt Vire do with a speed boost?

~Umbreon is nice, but why the speed evs? I would be inclined to make it Relaxed (-Spd +Def) so you can switch after the attack.

~Surf/Ice beam is resisted by starmie, which is a common physical sweeper. I was thinking, Ice beam/Shadow ball covers almost all threats.
    Gengar - Shadow Ball
    Azelf - Shadow Ball
    Alakazam - Shadow Ball
    Starmie - Shadow Ball
    Specsmence - Ice Beam
    Yanmega - Ice Beam

Can you suggest any more spec sweepers it needs to hit?

~Lastly, something seems wrong with Donphans moveset. Could you please look over that again?

Thanks for your help.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Just a few questions about that last rate.

~Couldnt Vire do with a speed boost?

~Umbreon is nice, but why the speed evs? I would be inclined to make it Relaxed (-Spd +Def) so you can switch after the attack.

~Surf/Ice beam is resisted by starmie, which is a common physical sweeper. I was thinking, Ice beam/Shadow ball covers almost all threats.
    Gengar - Shadow Ball
    Azelf - Shadow Ball
    Alakazam - Shadow Ball
    Starmie - Shadow Ball
    Specsmence - Ice Beam
    Yanmega - Ice Beam

Can you suggest any more spec sweepers it needs to hit?

~Lastly, something seems wrong with Donphans moveset. Could you please look over that again?

Thanks for your help.

I forgot about Shadow Ball, but you didn't have it on your original set either...lol

You had Grass Knot, so I gave you other options for that.... :P:P

What do you mean with the Umbreon statement? I agree it should probably be Impish with that set, but I gave it speed EV's to outspeed some of the lower speed pokemon, so it is able to get in a Mean Look before the opponent can switch. Relaxed decreases this even more anyway.

With your Counters, I know I run my Yanmega with Focus Sash (And before you scream SR weak, yes I know...lol)

With Focus Sash, Yanmega would be able to take out Slowking anyway, as long as Slowking didn't have any CM's up it backside...lol

I run my Donphan like this:

Donphan@Leftovers
    Impish
    252 Atk, 220 Def, 36 Atk - (Atk EV's to 2HKO no HP/Def EV Garchomp)

Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Roar

I was thinking of Rapid Spin, but I tried with Roar, and it actually worked really well.

Regards,

~M51

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Why, it can do with the extra speed. Its base 95 isnt it? with UP Spd, you can outrun a Modest Specsmence.

Usually if it's a Specsmence, they would always run Hasty/Naive/Timid

All you need is one Motor Drive boost on Electivire, and it's got that "Scarf" support without being locked into one move

Normally you would run Naive on Electivire for Timid Porygon-Z, but Hasty is always better since Electivire can survive Surfs and Ice Beams

For my opinion, however, I would just run Lonely

Back