• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RMT- Need Help!

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2008
    I've been trying to get a team together to battle in tournaments and the such, but every team I come up with I'm unhappy with.
    I've started using Shoddy to test and I was looking for some help on finalizing my team.
    Here's my team as of now:

Ludicolo@leftovers
    Modest-Swift Swim
    152Hp/104Speed/252Special Attack

Energy Ball
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Rain Dance

This is a pretty standard Ludicolo I believe.

Machamp@Leftovers
    Adamant-No Guard
    252Hp/252Attack/6Speed

Sleep Talk
    Rest
    Stone Edge
    Dynamic Punch

Also a pretty standard RestTalk Machamp.

Starmie@Choice Specs
    Timid-Natural Cure
    252Speed/252Special Attack/6Hp

Surf
    Recover
    Ice Beam
    Thunder Bolt

I don't know if I should have this as a special sweeper, I also have Gengar.

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid-Levitate

Focus Blast
    Thunder Bolt
    Hypnosis
    Shadowball

Again this is also a special sweeper, so I don't know if I should turn my Starmie into a rapid spinner.

Snorlax@Leftovers
    Sassy-Thick Fat

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Earthquake
    Body Slam

Another Standard RestTalker, I would rather use Curselax here but it's just to brittle now.

Tangrowth@Leftovers
    Impish-Chlorophyll

Earthquake
    Sleep Powder
    Knock-Off
    Power Whip

Love Tangrowth, he's very annoying with Knock-off, and Sleep Powder.

So please help my team get better,all advice will be taken into to account.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2008
    You mean Timid on Starmie right, Jolly is - sp.att =p
    Yeah I was thinking of a different pokeman, also just tested this team in Shoddy and it did pretty...bad. I was expecting that.
    Still could use a lot of help.

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • Making a team is not just slapping six Pokémon together. It doesn't matter if they have perfect EVs and IVs if they don't have any sinergy. For instance, your team has nothing to stop Garchomp, Deoxys-S strikes a Super Effective hit on everything you have but Ludicolo and Azelf can also have some fun.

For a good team, you need to cover the weakness of your other Pokémon, and also something to 'counter their counters'.

Anyway, for now, I recommend making Starmie way bulkier by having 160 HP/132 SpA/216 Spe EVs, and changing Choice Specs for Leftovers. This Starmie works fine as a counter to [some] Garchomp, Gyarados and Infernape- all three Pokémon your team would have problems otherwise.

Also, since you have two Sleep Talkers, having a Pokémon with Arometherapy/Heal Bell would work greatly, but I'm not sure how that would fit in your group.

Years
  • Also, Recover on a Choice set is a big no-no. >_> Replace it for something else if you plan on still using the Choice set on Starmie. I'd use Grass Knot to trip Swampert and pound it into its coffin. :D

Arcknight316

left pc
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2008
    I've been trying to get a team together to battle in tournaments and the such, but every team I come up with I'm unhappy with.
    I've started using Shoddy to test and I was looking for some help on finalizing my team.
    Here's my team as of now:

Ludicolo@leftovers
    Modest-Swift Swim
    152Hp/104Speed/252Special Attack

Energy Ball
    Ice Beam
    Surf
    Rain Dance

This is a pretty standard Ludicolo I believe.

I know nothing about this guy, so I'm leaving it alone.

Machamp@Leftovers
    Adamant-No Guard
    252Hp/252Attack/6Speed

Sleep Talk
    Rest
    Stone Edge
    Dynamic Punch

Also a pretty standard RestTalk Machamp.

OK, but doesn't Guts boost sleep? If it does, then Guts and Cross Chop, plz. Consider Ice Punch over SE, too.

Starmie@Choice Specs
    Timid-Natural Cure

Surf
    Recover
    Ice Beam
    Thunder Bolt

I don't know if I should have this as a special sweeper, I also have Gengar.

I don't see the point of this. Sure, it can sweep, but you have Gengar for that, plus, the Star does support better.

Also, switching in just to Recover isn't a very good strategy. This being a non-defensive Star, it will be taking quite the damage, which defeats the purpose of Recover. Plus, it gives your foe a free switch.

Gengar@Life Orb
    Timid-Levitate

Focus Blast
    Thunder Bolt
    Hypnosis
    Shadowball

Again this is also a special sweeper, so I don't know if I should turn my Starmie into a rapid spinner.

If you're keeping this, then yes, turn Star into a RSer or scrap it completely.

Snorlax@Leftovers
    Sassy-Thick Fat

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Earthquake
    Body Slam

Another Standard RestTalker, I would rather use Curselax here but it's just to brittle now.

OK.

Tangrowth@Leftovers
    Impish-Chlorophyll

Earthquake
    Sleep Powder
    Knock-Off
    Power Whip

Love Tangrowth, he's very annoying with Knock-off, and Sleep Powder.

OK.

So please help my team get better,all advice will be taken into to account.

You have plenty of Bulky Pokes, but only 2 Pokes that can take huge hits, and even those will die to strong enough hits. If you want to use Lax, you need a sturdy Ghost or Psychic (I would reccomend a Cresselia or Uxie as you already have a Ghost on your team). Also, since you only have one Physical Wall, it should have a reliable Recovery Move. Believe me, I like Tangrowth just as much as you do, but it just doesn't fit as a solitary Physical Wall.

So, what I'm suggesting is a Cressy over Starmie, and a healing Physical Wall that doesn't die instantly from Megahorn (Hippo is one of the very, very few who can survive 2 CB CC/MH's from CBCross) over Tangrowth.

Years
  • You have plenty of Bulky Pokes, but only 2 Pokes that can take huge hits, and even those will die to strong enough hits. If you want to use Lax, you need a sturdy Ghost or Psychic (I would reccomend a Cresselia or Uxie as you already have a Ghost on your team). Also, since you only have one Physical Wall, it should have a reliable Recovery Move. Believe me, I like Tangrowth just as much as you do, but it just doesn't fit as a solitary Physical Wall.

So, what I'm suggesting is a Cressy over Starmie, and a healing Physical Wall that doesn't die instantly from Megahorn (Hippo is one of the very, very few who can survive 2 CB CC/MH's from CBCross) over Tangrowth.
    Starmie can counter Gyarados and MixApe although I don't know about countering Garchomp with a different set and actually has some offense and a reliable recovery move along with outspeeding all of the 3 pokemon, so it will suffer no damage except from Gyarados which requires cutting from its Defense or HP, making it less bulky. Try this set to counter MixApe, Gyarados and Garchomp if possible:

Starmie@Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    160 HP/132 Special Attack/216 Speed
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Ludicolo also doesn't belong here. While it can give Tangrowth and Starmie help, nothing else benefits from it. Makes Water type attacks hit things harder and Rain is ruined by Sandstorm which is very common and you can't keep on switching in to a possible Stone Edge from CBTar. Guts and Cross Chop is no on Rest-Talk Machamp. While the attack boost is nice, Close Combat is the only accurate move without No Guard which is never to be used on Machamp that's meant to be rather bulky. Dynamicpunch is best for the Confusion and same BP as Cross Chop as well as 100% accuracy with No Guard.

Last edited:

Arcknight316

left pc
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2008
    Starmie can counter Gyarados and MixApe although I don't know about countering Garchomp with a different set and actually has some offense and a reliable recovery move along with outspeeding all of the 3 pokemon, so it will suffer no damage except from Gyarados which requires cutting from its Defense or HP, making it less bulky. Try this set to counter MixApe, Gyarados and Garchomp if possible:

Starmie@Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    160 HP/132 Special Attack/216 Speed
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Ludicolo also doesn't belong here. While it can give Tangrowth and Starmie help, nothing else benefits from it. Makes Water type attacks hit things harder and Rain is ruined by Sandstorm and you can't keep on switching in to a possible Stone Edge from CBTar. Guts and Cross Chop is no on Rest-Talk Machamp. While the attack boost is nice, Close Combat is the only accurate move without No Guard which is never to be used on Machamp that's meant to be rather bulky. Dynamicpunch is best for the Confusion and same BP as Cross Chop as well as 100% accuracy with No Guard.

Ludiculo does the same with the rain boost.

Years
  • Ludiculo does the same with the rain boost.
    And you expect them to only have Water type attacks.... They can hammer you with other moves or just hammer you while you switch in to absorb the predicted Water type attack.
    Such as Azumarill, you think there will be Aqua Jet coming, but it hammers you with Focus Punch because it knows you have Ludicolo and can predict. =/ Now, let's see that dead Ludicolo "do the same with the Rain boost". =]

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • And you expect them to only have Water type attacks.... They can hammer you with other moves or just hammer you while you switch in to absorb the predicted Water type attack.
    Such as Azumarill, you think there will be Aqua Jet coming, but it hammers you with Focus Punch because it knows you have Ludicolo and can predict. =/ Now, let's see that dead Ludicolo "do the same with the Rain boost". =]

lol, I don't think darkknight was saying it can counter Azumarill lol.

Not to mention that Starmie gets totally smashed by CB Double-Edge when you expect Focus Punch or Waterfall =/

Ludicolo laughs off all but Stone Edge from Gyarados, and MixApe gets mashed as well. In the rain, darkknight is right, it can handle Garchomp.

Also, if you can predict, you know the prediction of your prediction will come and you'll give that Calm Mind Mismagius a free switch on the expected normal or fighting move. Prediction is a dangerous game. It is with Ludicolo, and it's equally dangerous with Starmie (especially since Starmie has to worry about Weavile 0_o)

Years
  • lol, I don't think darkknight was saying it can counter Azumarill lol.

Not to mention that Starmie gets totally smashed by CB Double-Edge when you expect Focus Punch or Waterfall =/

Ludicolo laughs off all but Stone Edge from Gyarados, and MixApe gets mashed as well. In the rain, darkknight is right, it can handle Garchomp.

Also, if you can predict, you know the prediction of your prediction will come and you'll give that Calm Mind Mismagius a free switch on the expected normal or fighting move. Prediction is a dangerous game. It is with Ludicolo, and it's equally dangerous with Starmie (especially since Starmie has to worry about Weavile 0_o)
    But you have to be in the rain. =/ Which is rarely going to successfully happen with Tyranitar and Hippowdon being very common and Garchomp can be with them while you may try to set up the Rain again, they can go smash you even though it is incredibly obvious they will try to smash you with (insert move that's at least neutral to Ludicolo) :D (No one Taunts a Ludicolo who could smash YOU with full health which takes little effort to notice.) Also, you may want something to counter Tentacruel, since it counters Ludicolo and easily hammers it with Sludge Bomb or Poison Jab (Starmie and Snorlax aren't counters either, fearing the occasional Swords Dance set and it has pretty high Special Defense so it can take a Thunderbolt or two while Tangrowth falls to Swords Danced Poison Jab.:D While Machamp gets hammered by Waterfall.) :D Get something to counter Swords Dance Tentacruel now. >=[

Arcknight316

left pc
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2008
    But you have to be in the rain. =/ Which is rarely going to successfully happen with Tyranitar and Hippowdon being very common and Garchomp can be with them while you may try to set up the Rain again, they can go smash you even though it is incredibly obvious they will try to smash you with (insert move that's at least neutral to Ludicolo) :D (No one Taunts a Ludicolo who could smash YOU with full health which takes little effort to notice.) Also, you may want something to counter Tentacruel, since it counters Ludicolo and easily hammers it with Sludge Bomb or Poison Jab (Starmie and Snorlax aren't counters either, fearing the occasional Swords Dance set and it has pretty high Special Defense so it can take a Thunderbolt or two while Tangrowth falls to Swords Danced Poison Jab.:D While Machamp gets hammered by Waterfall.) :D Get something to counter Swords Dance Tentacruel now. >=[

If you know they have a Hippo/Tar, then you set up Rain again as they switch. That being done, Hippo and Tar get HAMMERED by STAB Rain-boosted Surf.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • lala, Tar and Hippowdon can't switch in on Ludicolo whether rain is in play or not, so they'll essentially be sacrificing themselves to change weather that can just be changed again? Seriously, that makes no sense. While I see your point that getting the rain set up can be too time-consuming and even costly, Ludicolo does just fine in the rain and I don't necessarily disagree with darkkmight here (though Ludi would be much better off with some Rain support itself).

And I really don't like the idea of relying on Starmie to counter things on a team this Weavile weak as it is ._.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2008
    Allright, so taking this all in, I opted to remove Tangrowth, its been hard to pull off anything good with him in shoddy battle. I'll be sad to see him go.
    Also im going to make Starmie a rapid spinner seeing as im getting killed my skarmorys laying spikes and the such.
    I was messing with infernape and really like him. Here's the set I want to go with:

Infernape@Life Orb
    24Attack/232Speed/252Special Attack
    Naive-Blaze

Close Combat
    Grass Knot
    Flamethrower
    U-turn

The U-turn has come in handy before. Any help with this moveset?, or is it allright?

Also what about a replacement for Tangrowth?

Thanks for the help so far.

Back