• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplaying

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • I'm assuming most of you like role playing games(RPGs), since this is a pokemon forum... but how many of you actually role play*? How seriously do you take it? Which games do you RP in? Any stories you'd like to share about your role playing experiences?

*Role playing in this sense means pretending that your game character is a real person, and making decisions in the game based on an actual personality that you gave your character. Essentially, you're pretending like the game is real life.

My pointlessly long answer:
    Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I only really do this with Pokemon, since it's so customizable with teams and such, and challenges make it better. When I start a challenge, I like to come up with a story as to why they're doing this challenge or what is making them go through the region like this. And these aren't Nuzlockes either, cause I don't do those haha. Like for the Halloween challenge, it was a bet between three friends and involved a curse etc. My character was a bit quirky and picked "weird" Pokemon and got made fun of for it, but ultimately went on to be a great breeder (RNG kekeke) etc etc.

I don't do this with other series though, unless you count me commentating on everything in Zelda games and reading dialog wrong and giving people different names like Jesus and Boda. lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2012
    ...I admit I get a little too involved with Shin Megami Tensei games then I should. It's pretty easy to do, in my defense.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Never, really. The only games that I have that have something of a 'plot' are the Pokemon games, and when playing those I'm just in it to win it. There was this one time when I was playing Mario Kart DS when I was King Boo and letting out all of my rage on the other players for thinking me a 'lesser Mario-character', but that's probably the closest that I've come to actual RPing in a video game.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I do very little roleplaying. Whenever I'm presented a choice I almost always go for the good path, but that's about my limit. If I do other stuff, like raise my science and energy weapon skills in New Vegas, it's because I like them rather than because I made my courier out to be some sort of engineer.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I do very little roleplaying. Whenever I'm presented a choice I almost always go for the good path, but that's about my limit. If I do other stuff, like raise my science and energy weapon skills in New Vegas, it's because I like them rather than because I made my courier out to be some sort of engineer.
    This is pretty much how I play things. Occasionally I'll look at my character and their past interactions and have them choose a dialogue option that I myself wouldn't pick, but that's the extent of it, really. And usually if I'm choosing a path I wouldn't naturally choose, it's because I know it leads to a certain quest chain or something. :P

The only game where I specifically gave my character some sort of personality that wasn't me was Dragon Age II and that's just because I was trying to romance one certain person who RL me would never have a chance with. 8D;

I guess when I play Pokemon games, sometimes my trainer takes on a life of her own. Or sometimes I'll be at a loss for my first nickname and end up pretending my trainer is a certain fandom character and having him/her decide on all the names based on their friends and stuff, but that's not really RPing since there's not a lot of choice in Pokemon.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I don't take RPGS too seriously. I'd say that in playing Mass Effect I always go for the paragon (or "good" option), but... that isn't necessarily intentional. That's just me being me and pretty much almost always the choice I would select.

There might be a character I just don't like though, and I end up giving negative answers to them for everything XD

Back