• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
2nd join a hacking team now dont go crazy and see how manny will acept you at all times the max teams you should be on is 3 to 4.
gain some experence and the team should also give you some pointers also help around if you can.

4th make and start a team thread you proberly relise you cant make a hack all by your self.

..right, well..

I've never really been on a hacking team, and I don't really plan to be. You don't have to have / be on a team to make a good hack, bud. It takes longer, but at least you know exactly what's going on and when and why and everything. Of course, I'm not downplaying teams or anything, but I've been hacking mostly solo up until this point, and I'm quite sure I'd prefer to hack solo rather than in a large team. Also, if you are going to join a team, join one, not three or four or seven. You can't honestly expect to keep up with the workload required for several teams, can you?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
thats what i am am saying at most join 3,4 the max Ive been on was too torzach and azure blaze
also I am not saying it required but it gives you different view and more experiences if your on or make a rom team but its completely your choice

Exactly, I only use the basic tools for stuff (trainer editor, map editor script editor, tile viewer, music assembler and LZ77 compressed image editor). For everything else I use a hex editor e.g. OW resizing, some text editing (sometimes use a text editor), palette editing and more :P
i am not saying all you should use is tools I am saying you should have every tools and note the title Is A road to be coming a GOOD rom hacker not a amazing rom hacker this was aimed more for beginners

Last edited:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
Three to four teams max? Um, how about no? Working on four different hacks is not going to help anyone at all. If a team wants quality work done, their team members should be working on that hack alone to provide the best possible outcome. Working on four hacks at a time will probably set you back because if there is a deadline, you'll be stressed to get a ton of work done. Work on one hack. Your best work will be put into that hack, therefore improving it for everyone. Why in the hell would anyone want to be on that many teams anyways?

I, as Vrai also said, have never been on a hacking team and don't plan to be. I'll make a map or two for hacks that I think have potential, but that's where I draw the line. Honestly, I think hacking teams are worse than just one person making a hack, with exceptions though. And when one person is the only person working on a hack, it's easier for them to implement their own ideas rather than rely on someone to do something the way they first envisioned it. It won't always come out how you thought it would. Hacking teams make everything more complicated.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Three to four teams max? Um, how about no? Working on four different hacks is not going to help anyone at all. If a team wants quality work done, their team members should be working on that hack alone to provide the best possible outcome. Working on four hacks at a time will probably set you back because if there is a deadline, you'll be stressed to get a ton of work done. Work on one hack. Your best work will be put into that hack, therefore improving it for everyone. Why in the hell would anyone want to be on that many teams anyways?

I, as Vrai also said, have never been on a hacking team and don't plan to be. I'll make a map or two for hacks that I think have potential, but that's where I draw the line. Honestly, I think hacking teams are worse than just one person making a hack, with exceptions though. And when one person is the only person working on a hack, it's easier for them to implement their own ideas rather than rely on someone to do something the way they first envisioned it. It won't always come out how you thought it would. Hacking teams make everything more complicated.
hacking teams are not that epic and most teams dont give a deadline they usaly say get to us when you can its more than posable to take more than one team if all your doing is one talk like spriting four sprites a day is a piece of cake

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
ah no do you see how big and great torazach is, its better to say when you can than breath down someones throat the reasons there are some bad hacks are listed in my post it first.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
There isn't a perfect team. Whatever works works. If you are too kind, and don't set a timeline, things sometimes (SOMETIMES) don't get done, the same if you are too harsh, then the work isn't as good (SOMETIMES)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years

Seconded - damn Sasquatch, you're so good at this thing.

And also, someone's idea might get shot down by the rest of the team. 8D

Years
hi, can anyone give me the ROM offsets/HEX adds of the ff:
-
EMERALD
GYM LEADERS
- ROXANNE
- BRAWLY
- WATTSON
- NORMAN
- WINONA
- FLANNERY
- LIZA AND TATE
- JUAN
ELITE FOUR
- SIDNEY
- PHOEBE
- GLACIA
- DRAKE
CHAMPION
- WALLACE
-
thanks, i need because im planning to HACK them via HEX ..
-
Excuse me,please,but that belongs in the Simple Question thread.

Anyway,has anybody noticed that no A-Map tutorial threads include how to do connections between maps?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
its quite easy go to map conections and chose the map you want to conect to if the map is not conected in the right position change the posistion offset +1 -> ^
-1 <- v

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
Alright, new topic.
Does anyone think that we need new rules in the Progressing Hacks forum to weed out the crap, and to let the hacks that will flourish, shine?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
No, I think the scrapbox is just fine. It's called the scrapbox for a reason you know? It's for getting feedback on your ideas and showing what your hack can become. The Progressing hacks situation, that is something in dire straights, and it needs a lot of fixing up. It's all based on modding styles you know, the accepting of the hacks. And maybe with the need of a new mod, then maybe the progressing hacks will become more stricter and in effect better. I'm sure Christos doesn't like accepting most of the hacks there, but he can't do anything about it, they all the follow the given rules and therefore must be accepted. It's time for a rule modification or complete rehaul.

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
There does need something done to the rules.
Maybe it has to be two weeks old to get to the Progressing Hacks?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Something like that. You know, if a hack is in the scrapbox for a limited amount of time then we can see how much the hacker cares about the hack. I mean, two weeks is a long time in the hacking world, a lot can happen. The hacker could give the hack up? They could make the most stunning amount of progress? Limiting it has of course it's benefits and it's flaws, as does like every single thing in the world. Benefits could be the fact we see the hackers work better, than just stamping up four screenshots and people looking at them. We can see the hacker progress from no work to one mapshot, to one screenshot and then onto progressing. If people like it, they then become attached to the hack and they are always viewing and commenting and giving it feedback. When someone does this, it both keeps the hack alive and keeps the hacker motivated. And if a hacker is motivated then they produce stunning top quality betas. And that gets them into the showcase. A hack, where people follow it from beginning to end, is what could come out of this, and it is my dream.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
I think there should be a thread in between progesive hacks and hack showcase something like
scrapbox begininghacks(will take the old rules of the progesive hack) progesive hacks(the new progive hacks will be for hacks that have a lot of progesion but not enough for hack showcase) and hack showcase

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I think there should be a thread in between progesive hacks and hack showcase something like
scrapbox begininghacks(will take the old rules of the progesive hack) progesive hacks(the new progive hacks will be for hacks that have a lot of progesion but not enough for hack showcase) and hack showcase
It'd be extremely redundant to have a fourth thread for displaying ROM Hacks. My opinions have changed from way back when about Progressing hacks, but it really does need higher restrictions. Perhaps you need to showcase 6 diverse screenshots, and there has to be some sort of proof that there is scripting done in those. Mainly, the mediocre hacks that get nowhere typically have a few decent screenshots, but none of those screenshots show any signs of scripting, but instead... they all just show bits and pieces of the maps in the hack. It really would make Progressive Hacks a heck of a lot better if that was done at some point.
Well, that's my two cents for this.
Can someone give me more money? I'm runnin out of cents! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back