• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Route 22

Years
    You know that little route linking Viridian City and Victory Road? And how you have to battle your rival before going through? And how the first battle is optional? What would happen if you went back and battled him after getting badges? Would you have the optional or the mandatory battle?

I am intruiged by Route 22. It's great in yellow - you can catch mankey, both nidoran, spearow and rattata!

Johto Legend 17

A Legend of Johto
    Years
    Route 22 was the only road on the game you could get some really decent pokemon. It let you go to the Indigo Plateu. I wouldnt say it is the best Route ever but I think it was pretty good in RBYG and it was still good in GSC and of course the same as in FRLG.

JojoX2

Medicham Fan *Chammy ftw*
    Years
    I hated this route-.- There I lost for my first time due to my rival... I had only Charmander and Pidgey Lv5 or so. Also it´s the biggest disadvantage between Red/Blue and Yellow. You cannot get Mankeyin R/B, which is essencial to beat Brock if you took Charmander. Same with the Nidorans that didn´t learn Doublekick in R/B but in Yellow. But thats another topic.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    You know that little route linking Viridian City and Victory Road? And how you have to battle your rival before going through? And how the first battle is optional? What would happen if you went back and battled him after getting badges? Would you have the optional or the mandatory battle?

I am intruiged by Route 22. It's great in yellow - you can catch mankey, both nidoran, spearow and rattata!

I *think* (Don't quote me on this), he'll be there until you beat Brock and then he won't be there until you've got all 8 badges. I'm 100% certain but I think that's how it works.

And I like Route 22. It's the best of the early routes on Yellow and it isn't bad on Red or Blue either. I always catch a Lv 3 Spearow on Route 22 and occassionally a Nidoran.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    I like that route in all of the 1st gen games; it's a great place to raise your pokemon a few levels, since there are a lot of level 5s there. (Except maybe if you run into a Spearow when training a bug.)

And I'd just like to point out to Jojo, that if you're willing to invest enough time (primarily in Red) to get a Caterpie (though a metapod would work, but it would be more annoying to use later on), you could level it to 12, and just tear through Brock with Confusion.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2009
    I like that route in all of the 1st gen games; it's a great place to raise your pokemon a few levels, since there are a lot of level 5s there. (Except maybe if you run into a Spearow when training a bug.)

And I'd just like to point out to Jojo, that if you're willing to invest enough time (primarily in Red) to get a Caterpie (though a metapod would work, but it would be more annoying to use later on), you could level it to 12, and just tear through Brock with Confusion.

That's what I always did. It was a pain in the butt, but absolutely worth it.

Years
    My strategy for beating Brock with Charmander is raising it to around level 12, maybe a little higher, and catching a Pidgey that knows sand-attack. Then I just sand-attack the hell out of Brock's Geodude and Onix and tackle them to death with my Charmander.

It's the long way of doing it, but eh.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years

Okay, I'm going to go and... answer to the actual question XD

The script for the Rival is made so, when you get a badge, he won't appear there anymore until you get all. So if you don't battle him before Brock, then you lost your only chance.

Gold95

Am I really...? Gold?
    Years
    I like to battle the Rival at Route 22 because I train all my Pokémon to LVL 10 his Pokémons give me much exp. points. :D

Back