• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Engine] RpgDev - An RPG development toolkit

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2022
Hey all

Apologies for the inactivity; I didn't think there was anymore interest in the project since the initial posting. I can assure everyone the project is still underway (It just takes a long time to write an entire game engine while maintaining a day job)

@zaluzianskya:

I completely agree about dialogue, RpgDev will have full text literal support with language file transformations (XML files for each language). I also plan on providing tools for translators.

@PurpleSmeargle:

There is no theoretical limit on tile size in the engine (Correction its technically 2,147,483,647 pixels-wide but GPUs wouldn't like this anyway :P), the demo shows combining 16x16 tiles with 32x32, tile sizes are determined by tile set configurations.

@Henry_PokeMaker:
I do plan on putting in a mode 7 feature at some point, this will be fairly low priority though.

@GeekyRaptor:

I do not have a release schedule planned yet as the engine is still in an alpha state. I am looking for people to get involved in the project as any level of support is really helpful (Trying to organise it all as a one man band can be challenging!) This would help spur things on as its very easy to find motivation when you have people interested and helping with your project.

Your suggestions around sprite/editing and animation is something I quite like and I'll definitely add it the roadmap. Script templates/boilerplates are also planned! (I'll also take note of the other suggestions you posted)

Thanks for the feedback and supportive words! (RE: The forum situation, I will sort this soon)

@VersukaDreemurr:

I promise I'm still working on it! Indeed the main forum is dead and unfortunately it has had a ton of bots registered too (Will sort this out soon). Getting any project off the ground is always extremely difficult; never mind getting people to register on your project's forum. Indeed this is an ambitious project; but it is achievable.

@Braze:

Nice try haha But try again :P

On a more serious note, I can understand the frustration over the lack of updates and the doubt around whether this project will succeed but trust me, it will happen. Expect more updates soon.

If any of you would like to offer your support, even if it is just moderating the forum; this would help more than you know.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Years
Hey, that's wonderful! If you ever get past alpha stage I would like to test it out. I'm wary of compiling stuff so if I am going to test it I would prefer having it in an installer format, I also would like to know if you would like advice on what type of services to use to make a forum. I'd suggest proboards or wix or wordpress. Most options are free, and you can get your own custom domain name for a fee.

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2022
@GeekyRaptor
I'm going to switch the boards to SMF, phpbb has been buggy as hell - I already have a domain and website infrastructure in place. I would love to hear more of your ideas and suggestions for the project. Also what you are looking for, bare-minimum functionality-wise to get any projects/ideas you wanted to get off the ground? (As in, what features you are looking for/need for any projects)

Last edited:

FloofyPanthar

The guy that's making the thing
Years
Is there any place that you have that lets us see progress on your project? Like a progress thread, discord, or a twitter?

Back